It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User
Constant tiredness, breathing changes, and brain fog for months - Ideas?

Hello all,

Could you all help determine what is going on? I'm a 20 year old male. I very rarely smoke and have been running a mile at least every other day since middle school (though this has been much harder to maintain recently). Here is perhaps an overly in depth list of symptoms:

-In January I started to feel feverish, tired, and 'high' all of the time - basically like something was poisoning my body. For the first few weeks I felt extremely and hopelessly depressed for no reason.
-My limbs would also seem to fall asleep really easily (this is not the case more recently), and I felt less connected to my body.
- I also had a weird, but subtle, uneasy sensation in my knees - this is also less apparent now.
- I have a constant mental fuzz, my memory and ability to recall order of events sucks, and my concentration is askew.
- The depression went away, and since a doctor thought it was just depression, I even tried antidepressants and counseling. I was too tired in counseling to even think about my problems. The Prozac made me perfectly happy and content to a rather unsettling extent (especially considering my fatigue), but I still had all of the other symptoms, so I think I've ruled this out. I'm off of them now and still am not depressed.
- My breathing gets heavy and sometimes much faster. Sometimes it seems like I breath in and out quickly, and then my lungs pause in between breaths. It doesn't feel hard to breath. This comes and goes, but seems more apparent when lying down.
- I have been coughing pretty consistently for the last few months.
- Sometimes I see something out of the corner of my eye and assume it's something that it isn't before looking at it - though this just seems like a symptom of tiredness.
- I am a supplemental instructor at my college and have had dyslexic moments while writing on the board that I never had before.
- Tingling/excited sensation in hands sometimes
- Many times I will feel extremely disoriented after waking up.
- Less dreaming, dreams seem faded
- A lot of times the area around my eyes near my nose will look really blue.
- intoxicants affect me much more easily, but at the same time, the effects don't seem as different from my now normal day-to-day consciousness.
- Overall, these last few months have just felt like a blur.

I have had a few general blood tests, along with Mono, Lead Poisoning, and blood sugar tests which were all negative. My Lymph nodes are not swollen, my blood oxygen level when tested has been both 100 and 98%, I got two perfect EKGs done, I have not had a fever (sometimes my temperature has even been a bit low), and I don't really have any pain or weakness in my body besides the constant tiredness. I have seen multiple doctors and after the blood tests they did not know what was going on... I even tried allergy pills.

Any thoughts? I barely had the energy for a light school load this semester and am literally tired of it. Sometimes I feel a bit better, but overall I don't even have the energy to try and figure this out. I've really been forcing myself to stay physically and socially active. I have even been traveling for the last few weeks.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by kruegersc4; 06-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

phoebe368 HB Userphoebe368 HB User
Re: Constant tiredness, breathing changes, and brain fog for months - Ideas?

Have you had a test done for lyme disease. Have you ever been tested for obstructive sleep apnea or a possible sleep disorder?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User

Not yet for either of those. My next steps are going to be a Lyme test and some sort of sleep test. Though I hear Lyme tests aren't very accurate(?) Since this started I sleep a lot and take many naps, so a sleeping disorder seems not too likely to me.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

OnSafari HB User

Hi Kruegersc4,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'm trying to figure out some health issues of my own & am familiar with some of the symptoms you've described.

Have you explored adrenal or thyroid disorders? How about B12 deficiency? Hope you feel better soon!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User

Both Thyroid and B12 issues have been tested for. I'm not sure about Adrenal, I'll ask about that too. The heavy breathing has been much more constant this last week.

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User

All of the things suggested have been tested for, and I didn't have inflammation. I don't know where to go from here...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Two things in your report concern me. The cough, fatigue and heavy breathing could point to asthma or another pulmonary problem. I would get a chest xray, TB skin test, and pulmonary function tests unless your xray shows something definitive. Did you have a CBC? There are weird things that can show up on chest xrays in young men (like sarcoidosis or enlarged lymph nodes in chest) so that definitely should be done.The sleep apnea idea should also be pursued, as that will cause the fatigue, brain fog and excessive daytime sleepiness and depression. An overnight pulse oximetry can be a good screening test, done at home, to see if your oxygen saturation dips frequently. If so, you need a sleep study done.Also, I would get your thyroid blood test results and see if your TSH is high or even borderline upper normal, as hypothyroidism could explain a lot (except the cough). A lot of Drs ignore borderline results even when suggestive symptoms are present. If you have loss of appetite or weight loss, get on it immediately, and get a chest xray first, plus complete blood count if you didn't have one already.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
(male)

lodoka HB User

A simple request of CBV, EBV and HHV6 test will provide answer to many of your symptoms. At this point, you'r only able to treat the symptoms.

You may also consider adding NADH 20 mg along with CQ 10- 200 mg to your vitamins. This should provide sufficient energy to mitochondrial for production of energy.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I have been that way for years. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I improved alot after I had my ruptured breast implants removed, but the last few years I have been going downhill and have been looking for answers. Even after 15 vials of blood work for all diseases the only thing that is abnormal was my urine calcium is very low and I have severe osteroporosis. I had a bone scan to see if I had fractures and my left sinus was very well lit up. I went to an ENT who did a ct scan and it showed a blocked sinus. He put me on heavy duty antibiotics for 3 weeks and I still felt the same. I would sometimes get a sharp cheek pain and a headache. So he sent me to his partner to have sinus surgery. I had it last week. I had mold and a fungus that had been there for so long it had calcified. How disgusting is that? I did some internet searching on chronic sinus infections and it certainly can mimic chronic fatigue and the symptoms you describe. I am hoping I feel a heck of a lot better once I heal

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
(male)

chief12 HB User

i would get check for ebv it sounds like it i have had it for8 years. write me back once you get tested

Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User

I think I will do the pulse oximeter test next, and perhaps look into pulmonary function tests. I believe my red blood cell count was high, but was told that it meant nothing without other stuff present.

I got tested for CMV and EBV. I guess I have had EBV in the past like most of the population, but not currently.

Mel52, did the sinus problems cause heavy breathing? And though I think I felt mild headaches a lot when it started, I think I've had less headaches than I've ever had recently...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

All of us who have had these kinds of symptoms/experiences feel for you and thoroughly understand the frustration.

Recommendation: Follow the doc's recommended tests first and ours second. They will not necessarily find everything, but they will pay less attention to you if you are ordering them around based on 2nd hand info and layman's guesses. They will pay more attention to you if you sound like an intelligent and inquisitive patient interested in their own care (which you do), and defer to their experience.

Thyroid, B12, lyme, etc. are all normal items on their menu. They will check these kinds of things automatically. If you're fortunate it will be one of those things. The difficulty comes when all these tests come back negative, you still have symptoms, and the doc says, "well the only thing left is to treat you for depression." I don't know the other folks here, but I would be willing to bet that at least a dozen of them have had this exact experience in pretty much this exact same process. It is a key area where the medical community just doesn't know and there is not yet sufficient knowledge and assistance.

To address some of your comments/questions specifically:

"-In January I started to feel feverish, tired, and 'high' all of the time - basically like something was poisoning my body. For the first few weeks I felt extremely and hopelessly depressed for no reason."

I don't really understand this because "high" and "depressed" are pretty much polar opposites. There is nothing euphoric about depression. Maybe I am just missing something here.

"- I have a constant mental fuzz, my memory and ability to recall order of events sucks, and my concentration is askew."

Many things can contribute to this, and most of it is in the standard bag of tricks for the docs (thyroid, B12, etc.)

"- The depression went away, and since a doctor thought it was just depression, I even tried antidepressants and counseling. I was too tired in counseling to even think about my problems. The Prozac made me perfectly happy and content to a rather unsettling extent (especially considering my fatigue), but I still had all of the other symptoms, so I think I've ruled this out. I'm off of them now and still am not depressed."

The "too tired to even think about my problems" is a serious but common issue. It would help greatly if you have someone close to you who could accompany you on doc visits to help remember what needs to be explained to the docs and to remember what the docs explain to you. One of my experiences with antidepressants is that they don't help you get better, they just make you feel better about being sick (not really helpful).

"- My breathing gets heavy and sometimes much faster..."

I'm not sure about this, but breathing can be affected by some of the meds used in these cases, both pain meds and antidepressants.

"- I have been coughing pretty consistently for the last few months.
"

This is atypical with the other symptoms and should be mentioned to any doc you see. It could be inflammation, viral, or a host of other issues.

The eye symptoms and the dyslexia may be neural, migraines, or just systemic stress. They are also atypical, imo, with the other more debilitating issues. I don't have a suggestion at this point on that. Just keep them on your symptom list for the docs but don't be overly concerned about them at this point.

"- Many times I will feel extremely disoriented after waking up.
- Less dreaming, dreams seem faded"

These often go with apnea, which is not uncommon with your other symptoms but can greatly exacerbate the problems. Lack of quality sleep affects everything.

"- intoxicants affect me much more easily, but at the same time, the effects don't seem as different from my now normal day-to-day consciousness.
"

This is probably due to the antidepressant meds.

Sorry for the length of this, but hopefully it will help you put the condition in perspective as you talk to the docs and search for answers.

All the best,
M.

Last edited by Rich775; 07-03-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
(male)

kruegersc4 HB User

"I don't really understand this because "high" and "depressed" are pretty much polar opposites. There is nothing euphoric about depression. Maybe I am just missing something here."

I guess I meant "high" as in a malaise feeling coupled with impaired mental function. Also, I have been off the antidepressants for months and still have messed up breathing.

Thank's for the thoughtful reply! At this point, I've done multiple doctor's recommended tests, so I suppose I should do some relatively inexpensive things that they didn't recommend. It does feel weird going against what they say, since I know they've spent years studying illness and I don't know much compared to them... But I guess they're not going through this kind of stuff (and probably never have). I really wish this would end soon so I can fully enjoy my summer.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

One thing you mention points to a pulmonary problem, perhaps sleep apnea or something else that lowers your oxygen level. The high red blood cell cell occurs as a compensatory mechanism to lack of oxygen. It is commonly seen in sleep apnea and COPD, and other pulmonary problems. I think the pulse oximetry is key to your diagnosis. A 24 hr. test to see what it does when sleeping vs. with activity may be most helpful, as some conditions cause hypoxia with exertion.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
(female)

RikkiT HB User

I know many will pooh-pooh this, but have you thought of parasites? I ask because parasites are actually part of what causes my chronic fatigue. I have Strongyloides stercoralis, which is a tiny worm that can cause all the symptoms you have. You can be tested for it. Ask your doctor for an ELISA test for strongyloides, and also a fecal test for tapeworm or other parasites.

Doctors in this country are very uneducated about parasites, because they think they aren't a problem here. The truth is that with immigrants come parasites, and we are now having many more cases reported. Strongyloides is endemic to the U.S. and 4% of people in the Appalachian region are infected. That's a high number for something like a parasite.

In the meantime, if you're willing to try something that may help but won't hurt you, there is a company (I'm not affiliated with) called Humaworm that has an excellent month long parasite treatment. I took it for a year, every 3 months, and although strongyloides is not 100% curable, it really helped me bring the numbers down so my own immune system can control them.

Strongyloides attacks people who have compromised immune systems or who are malnourished. After doing a lot of research on this, I found that many people are malnourished and don't know it. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is not conducive to good health, and experts say that the soils are so depleted that even some of the fresh fruits and veggies we eat have little to no nutritional value. I've had this parasite for 3 years, and almost died from it. You sound like you're hyperinfected, so you need to do something about it now. 80% of hyperinfected people who get no treatment die.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-08-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Please do not post contact information, or request off-board contact, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Reply Reply