HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Chronic Fatigue (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   CFS-Why do I feel super when I have the flu? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/chronic-fatigue/929804-cfs-why-do-i-feel-super-when-i-have-flu.html)

ssly3333 11-30-2012 11:20 PM

CFS-Why do I feel super when I have the flu?

I feel 10 times better each time I have the flu!!! I have CFS & Fm. Can anyone explain this???

I have been wondering why I have been feeling so much better and energetic this whole week, now I know because three days ago I was diagnosed with having the flu. Iím on a HUGEEEEE high right now of feeling much better and getting 20 times more done with much more focus.

This makes me think our symptoms of CFS have to do with the immune system, because when we have the flu it put the anti-bodies system on high alert to fight the flu virus, which seem to help us a lot.

So I wonder if CFS really is an auto-immune problem rather than just an inflammation problem. Maybe we have lupus instead (which is definitely an auto-immune disease). My sister was diagnosed with having Lupus.

My Rheumatologist diagnosed me with having FM and CFRC, but he seems to thinks I might could have Lupus. I usually have abnormally high ANA anti-bodies levels, which mean my immune system is usually on overdrive, which is not good.

I told a friend yesterday that I love catching the flu. He just laughed and thought I just kidding, but I wasnít kidding at all. Why are we so ďreversedĒ messed up?

Stephen

griz55 12-01-2012 07:51 AM

Re: CFS-Why do I feel super when I have the flu?

I believe there is an blood test for lupus b/c my primary dr ordered it, and she told me that I did NOT have lupus. I do have FM and chronic fatigue. As for the flu, I feel like hell when I get it lol. I do not get it often, or if I get it not too bad b/c I do each year get my flu shot. I get my energy from lots of rest, no alcohol, medical mj sativa, which reminds me I need to go to my mj dispensary today.
My immune system is great, never hardly ever get sick, recover quick from everything. I do well with deep tissue massage, which I get religiously.
Hmm, try not to allow stress into my life is key for me. Education & support on FM boards and reading scientific articles has helped tremendously as well to calm my fears.

JJ32 12-10-2012 08:40 PM

I love getting colds or flu. I so rarely get them. I find it helps focus my mind and my speech greatly, which normally I have trouble with. And it also makes me feel like I'm a typical human being. Which is also oddly a stress relief in itself.

griz55 12-11-2012 07:11 AM

Just got my flu shot yesterday!

ssly3333 12-20-2012 10:48 AM

How do I keep people from rejecing me for CFS and FM?

How do I keep people from rejecing me for CFS and FM? No one seems to be able understand my CFS, Fibromyalgia, and depression that keeps me from working and Iím on disability benefits. I have a doctorís degree, so they think I should be working. My whole family has completely rejected me for not working, because we have such a high work ethic in our family. My wife at the time was diagnosed with having schizophrenia leaving me to raise three boys alone, and nobody understands that.

A best friend more or less rejected me last night, saying I should not be on disability because yesterday I had a better day and was able to help him put beds together and fix up some rooms.

On some days I can do normal things like everyone else and get a lot done (not often), so people think Iím not sick. But other days I am bedridden. I feel hopeless, completely rejected, sick all the time, and completely useless to society even though I do some work for the homeless at times like tonight (Room at the Inn). Now Iíve learned that I dare not tell anybody that Iím sick, because it always ruins my relationships soon after they find out Iím not working.

dfwmom 01-21-2013 01:06 PM

Recent research indicates that Fibromyalgia, which is similar to CFS, is associated with low levels of cytokines in the bloodstream, pointing to it being in the family of immune diseases. Having the flu will stimulate your immune system, which might explain the effect that you feel. Some patients report that they feel better using Low Dose Naltrexone, which modulates the immune system. It's inexpensive and fairly safe, if you can find a doctor to prescribe it. You sound like it might work for you.

Another reason might be that you have a problem that is common with this family of diseases -- difficulty regulating your body temperature. Having the flu is probably causing a temperature rise, which might make you feel better if you struggle with a habitually low body temperature. I read something by one doctor who said we will never start feeling better if we can't regulate our body temperature.

ssly3333 01-30-2013 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=dfwmom;5120731]Recent research indicates that Fibromyalgia, which is similar to CFS, is associated with low levels of cytokines in the bloodstream, pointing to it being in the family of immune diseases. Having the flu will stimulate your immune system, which might explain the effect that you feel. Some patients report that they feel better using Low Dose Naltrexone, which modulates the immune system. It's inexpensive and fairly safe, if you can find a doctor to prescribe it. You sound like it might work for you.

Another reason might be that you have a problem that is common with this family of diseases -- difficulty regulating your body temperature. Having the flu is probably causing a temperature rise, which might make you feel better if you struggle with a habitually low body temperature. I read something by one doctor who said we will never start feeling better if we can't regulate our body temperature.[/QUOTE]

ssly3333 01-30-2013 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=dfwmom;5120731]Recent research indicates that Fibromyalgia, which is similar to CFS, is associated with low levels of cytokines in the bloodstream, pointing to it being in the family of immune diseases. Having the flu will stimulate your immune system, which might explain the effect that you feel. Some patients report that they feel better using Low Dose Naltrexone, which modulates the immune system. It's inexpensive and fairly safe, if you can find a doctor to prescribe it. You sound like it might work for you.

Another reason might be that you have a problem that is common with this family of diseases -- difficulty regulating your body temperature. Having the flu is probably causing a temperature rise, which might make you feel better if you struggle with a habitually low body temperature. I read something by one doctor who said we will never start feeling better if we can't regulate our body temperature.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much.
Stephen