It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
(male)

d3b5b9b12 HB User
Chronic Fatigue?

Hi, I am new to this board. Thank you for having me. I am pleased to see that this disease is classified under "immunological" along with Fibromyalgia.

One thing that did strike me as odd. The listing under immunological as "Chronic Fatigue". I am assuming this is "Chronic Fatigue syndrome" If it is, then this terminology exemplifies the confusion and misinterpretation about this disease.

I would have thought a board such as this would be using the term M.E. At very least ME/CFS as suggested by the ICC-ME/CFS.

I noted some of the problems that people experience such as a misunderstanding about relapsing-remitting cycles in ME (similar to MS). such cyclic symptom severity is common in immunological disease.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
(female)

melody1 HB User
Question Re: Chronic Fatigue?

I think you have been totally misinformed and you still do not get the fact as to what it is. A rose is a rose - so since people say chronic fatigue knowing that they have knowledge and mean CFS. And some countries call it ME. I think that over the years , whatever name you want to give it, countries and people have been together to try to find a link. I met the requirements for disability with an excellent lawyer , background of CFS, for my CFS more than 15 years ago. This symptom totally changes a persons life - you no longer are 'you'.

The following user gives a hug of support to melody1:
Michelle4 (01-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
(male)

d3b5b9b12 HB User
Re: Chronic Fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody1 View Post
I think you have been totally misinformed and you still do not get the fact as to what it is. A rose is a rose - so since people say chronic fatigue knowing that they have knowledge and mean CFS. And some countries call it ME. I think that over the years , whatever name you want to give it, countries and people have been together to try to find a link. I met the requirements for disability with an excellent lawyer , background of CFS, for my CFS more than 15 years ago. This symptom totally changes a persons life - you no longer are 'you'.
I understand ME/CFS alright. I have spent the last 15 years working with people with ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia and Multiple chemical sensitivity. I appreciate that you can call any illness anything you like as long as we all know what you mean. However when it comes to researching and diagnosing the illness it is important to know what we are dealing with. "Chronic fatigue" is a symptom of many illnesses. In addition, there are many causes of chronic fatigue. It is very important that medical practitioners do not think that ME/CFS is "chronic fatigue". Fatigue is only one symptom of ME/CFS, in fact some people with ME/CFS do not have a significant fatigue problem they may have "post exertional malaise" which does not necessarily produce fatigue.

My point about the listing of ME/CFS under "Chronic Fatigue" is that it adds to this confusion and suggests that ME/CFS is "chronic fatigue" a confusion inherent in the "Oxford" criteria sometimes used in Britain and this has minimized the seriousness of the illness and fostered faulty and unhelpful therapies such as GET and over-emphasized the value and applicability of CBT.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
(female)

melody1 HB User
Re: Chronic Fatigue?

I certainly agree with you. It is a very complicated . My opinion, the word 'symtom' . Maybe the correct term 'disease' would make it more understood and remove all the critics on this CFS. I also agree that I did not like the idea of connecting CFS to ME. Or, give it 'virus' CFV. Since there are a multitude of symptoms that occur with CF , symptoms, are too vague. Yet it is dreadful because of the effect it does to the body which changes all aspects of the person, mind, body, - life itself changes - you are no longer you. This has caused numerous other aspects of my life in regards to work and social and family which has caused many other conditions both mental and physical because I lost me. Thank you for your reply. I think we are more alike in our thinking, you just lost me with your terms . Susan

Reply Reply