It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

StephStu HB User
Chronic fatigue with no joint and muscle pain?

My roommate swears she has CFS, but she has never had joint or muscle pain, which is a miracle in itself since she is 62 and weighs almost 300 lbs. I swear, she sleeps 14 to 16 hours a day, and is in her bed the rest of the time. I have always read that if you don't have muscle and joint pain, it isn't CFS. I've tried and tried to get her to go get her thyroid tested, but she refuses, even though she has insurance that will pay for it. She always seems to have the energy to do what she WANTS to do, and sometimes because of this and her refusal to even try to get help, I think she's lying. I think she is just lazy.

I know that sounds harsh, but I have lupus, CFS and fibro, much of it caused by a hyperinfection by parasites, and I know what it feels like. I have suggested so many things to her that helped me, but she won't try any of them. I think, as my mother used to say, "she enjoys poor health." I swear, if I have to hear her say she is "weak and tired" one more time, then sit up for hours playing on Facebook, I'm going to scream!

She wants me to walk with her, but she waddles -- literally -- and I can't get any good out of walking at that pace. Plus, she goes to the end of the block (we live in the middle of the block) and back and declares herself exhausted, BUT she can spend the whole day running around shopping if she wants. She won't go walking on her own, so I can only think she just wants me there to complain to.

So you see my dilemma. I just don't believe her.

I'm sorry this sounds like a rant, but there is so much more to this story. I'm just at my wits end, and have had to just not talk to her because I'm so sick of hearing her whine when tomorrow, someone will ask her to do something she wants to do, and she'll be gone, then come home whining about how "weak and tired" she is.

So back to the original question. Is it possible to have CFS with no joint or muscle pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

findingpeace HB User
Re: Chronic fatigue with no joint and muscle pain?

I think you may find it helpful to read the actual dx critera for chronic fatique. While joint pain may be presen t it is only one of many symptoms that Could be present in the disease. As with every disease it also affects each person differently. What may work for you, may not work for her.

Second it is your exact comments that make it all that much harder for people who do suffer from the problem. If you really cant handle your roommate maybe you should move.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It sounds like a very frustrating living situation. Yes, you can have CFS without joint and muscle pain. But the fact she refuses to get her thyroid checked, which is easily treatable, makes one wonder about her motivation to feel better. Some people with hypothyroidism get so depressed and fatigued they can't get out of bed even for a Drs app't., but this doesn't sound like the case if she goes shopping. CFS, does have fluctuations, so she may have good and bad days, like lupus sufferers do, but I wonder if she has major secondary gains from her fatigue? If you aren't familiar with that term, read about it and you'll understand completely. I would worry that this relationship is having a negative impact on your health, and I think you have to seriously consider, is this relationship worth continuing? Would you be happier, healthier and better off on your own or with someone else? What is keeping you tied to her? She may truly have a health problem, but is she exploiting that to avoid work, responsibility, etc? Do you pick up the slack and take care of everything, including her? Therein may be your answer. You are the captain of your ship, and you have to decide if you want to stay docked or set sail.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

StephStu HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. I truly have read a lot about CFS, since I have it too, and everything I read said one of the first signs is muscle and joint pain, so I just wanted to hear from someone who has experienced it without that, I guess.

I am living here due to my own financial situation, which is clearing itself up and I am planning on being out into another place soon. She isn't a mean person, and I don't do for her what she can do for herself, so there is no using me for anything. I have enough health problems of my own without having to cater to someone else, so I just don't.

I think I really just want her to get better because I care about her, and the fact that she won't even try anything that might help is an alien concept to me. I've tried everything under the sun to get better, and can't understand people who don't want to. Just a difference in personalities, I guess.

Reply Reply