It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
(female)

needacure89 HB User
Chronic fatigue or allergies?

Hi all,

I've always been more tired than my peers but have managed to live a normal life until recently when I gave birth to my kid. All my blood tests came back clear and the doctors didn't know what to suggest so I diagnosed myself with CFS. I started taking loads of vitamins and herbs and it improved enough so I could live, albeit not as much as I'd have liked.

However, over the past few weeks I've been getting what I thought was a cold or flu every two weeks or so. It was just three weeks ago I had what felt like the flu - achey, fever, fatigue, had to stay in bed for a week - and now I feel like I've got a really bad cold with bad cough, severe fatigue, severe headache, sneezing, tight chest etc.

I went for allergy testing which brought back I was allergic to grass and dust mites. But I've always been allergic to those as I was tested a few years ago and never had such symptoms. I've always had shortness of breath but never like this. So this is why I don't know if I have allergies or not. Can allergies get worse? We have recently moved location to an area with a lot of pollution as we are near a port and an industrial area.

I thought I had chronic fatigue but now I'm wondering if it's simply the allergies. I remember always getting colds frequently, could it be that it was just allergies? Although there have been times when my only symptom has been fatigue...

The doctors don't seem to know anything! Can anyone suggest where to go from here? I'm taking TelFast anti-histamine, and it doesn't seem to work. I'm taking a ton of vitamins and herbs which are intended to improve immune system and energy but now with these allergy symptoms nothing seems to help. Anyone had anything similar?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Smallfaces HB User
Re: Chronic fatigue or allergies?

Could be both . Signs of a weak immune system . Allergies will become worse. You have to get allergy shots . Nothing else works . John

Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
(male)

monostereo HB User

I got tested for allergies and had pollen, dust mites and mold show up. Decided to get the shots despite the fact that my allergist didn't think that my case was really bad enough. Long story short, I still get fatigue (need a nap every day) but brain fog is largely gone. Before allergy shots, I would be useless during the spring. I'd be lethargic, my head felt like it had a 10 pound weight, my thinking would be sluggish and I'd just be tired all of the time. I don't get those symptoms any more. Like I said, I still need a nap a day to function well, but the shots took away a good amount of the worst of it.

As far as shots go, they're annoying when you have to go to the allergist 3 times a week. But when you get to once a month, its no big deal.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Certain of your symptoms point to something other than allergies. The fever, achiness, flu-like feeling, having to stay in bed, plus the severity of your symptoms. Also the fact that the fatigue and symptoms got substantially worse following childbirth, make me think of possible autoimmune diseases. Blood tests for these are very specific and only run if Dr or Patient is thinking along these lines. They are not part of routine blood tests. I would ask your Dr to check you for autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's) with antibody to TG, and TPO. A sed rate, CRP, ANA and RA factor would screen for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Lupus in particular is often triggered by the hormonal changes of pregnancy. A rheumatologist treats this, and endo the Hashimoto's.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I have Systemic Lupus and get extreme fatigue. But, I also wonder if at times dust is a factor in how severe my fatigue sometimes gets.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Ah, given that info, I do think allergies can make the fatigue worse because allergies stimulate the immune system, which is nondiscriminatory, and may be setting off the lupus reaction at the same time. I would do everything you can to control your allergies. National Jewish Hospital in Denver has many educational resources to help patients learn about allergen control in the environment. You can access learning materials by phone or internet.

Reply Reply