It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

Kellydiva3 HB User
Question Passing out from CFS?

I recently passed out while letting my dog inside which resulted in a fall down 10 stairs face first. I had a broken nose, concussion, and internal bleeding on my side not to mention 2 black eyes, and rug burn on my forehead. The ER and my own doctor did not seem too concerned with the fact that I passed out, and do not remember anything about the fall, or the entire night afterwards. I have never fainted before in my life.

I do have fibromyalgia and CFS and I am on medications including cymbalta which does have the side effect of dizziness or fainting upon standing, but I have been on this medication for over a year and nothing like this has ever happened before.

I was exhausted, and feel like my body just shut down completely when I fell.

Has anybody ever experienced fainting or passing out with CFS?

Thank you,

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
(male)

zimzampow HB User
Re: Passing out from CFS?

Hi Kellydiva

I have CFS and have read almost everything on it trying to find a solution for it. Surprisingly, I could not figure out what educated doctors, and medical research scientists could not figure out! LOL

But I am fairly well informed with CFS/fibro. I have never heard of fainting as a symptom or even a possibility. Like you, my first guess would be meds. But a lot of things can cause fainting. From anxiety or panic attacks to blood pressure, among others.

I understand why the doctors were not concerned with that episode; although sometimes it may indicate a medical problem healthy people faint too. Now if it were to happen on a more frequent basis I'm sure your doctor would be likely to investigate a cause.

I know that when I forget my blood pressure med, I get dizzy or hazy feeling when I try to get up, and sometimes it would seem I was about to pass out. Blood pressure would be my best guess. But, I'm no doctor. I couldn't even figure out what causes CFS! (Joking)

If you Google fainting or what causes fainting, I bet there will be a wealth of information there.

Good luck and I hope that your (so called) good days outnumber your bad days.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimzampow For This Useful Post:
Kellydiva3 (05-13-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It seems odd that your Drs were not concerned about a syncope and fall that resulted in such injuries. What other meds are you on? Any history of seizures? Had you jumped up quickly from lying down to let dog in? Syncope is not a symptom of CFS. Did you feel anything prior to passing out? Did you wet your pants? What happened when you came to? Was someone there with you that witnessed this? I think it is important to try to figure this out to prevent it from happening again.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

Kellydiva3 HB User

Yes ladybud, it is frustraiting to me that they did not seem to care about the underlying issue. I have never had seizures. I'm on Cymbalta, Savella, Adderrall and Lorazepam. I remember feeling a little lightheaded but I had been standing the whole time before I let my dog in. I passed out while standing up because I don't remember the fall or how I fell. I didn't wet my pants but I did throw up afterwards. My friend Phil was with me though in another room. He just found me at the bottom of the stairs bleeding out of my nose. He had no idea I'd even fallen.

I am truly scared this could happen again and I wish they were taking it more seriously.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think the combo of Cymbalta and Lorazepam may be dropping your BP too low and causing "orthostatic hypotension", low BP in the upright position. A dose decrease or discontinuing the lorazepam if you can may help. Try checking your BP while you are standing for a few minutes. Under 100 is too low. I think this is drug effect, not from CFS. Savella is so much like Cymbalta, you are getting double the effects with the combo. Fainting is a listed side effect of Savella. I would want to choose one or the other personally, whichever seems to help you most. Of course discuss with this Dr. but also look at the mechanism of action of both and side effect profile.

Last edited by ladybud; 05-13-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added info

Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
(male)

SleepyToo HB User

That sucks, I get really tired but I can't sleep if I try. Nothing wakes me up like laying down.

Your condition sounds like narcolepsy, I would try modafinil / provigil.

Reply Reply

Tags
cfs, cymbalta, dizziness, fainting, fibromyalgia