It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Unhappy Tired of PAIN, anxious for the surgery and find my self wanting to isolate..

Hello to all my friends,

Why am I wanting to isolate??? I feel like going to sleep and waking up to a fast forward to my surgery day!!

The pain is driving me insane...well not really
But it is dragging me down.

I went out today to see the pain doc and he did offer to up the meds.

I asked him if it is going to make it harder to control my pain post op more than it already is? He said more than likely yes.

I said I would try to stay at the same dosage and he wrote it up different so I am still following direction but have the option to take more IF needed. He said dont worry the surgeons are used to dealing with people who are on a lot of pain meds.

My pain levles have been hovering around a 8-10 for the last 2 weeks and it is just wearing on me.
I feel like being alone and doing nothing but at the same time I just want be able to go and do everything.
Has anyone felt this way?
It is not like I am a stranger to surgery or anything!!! Had so many in the last few years.
Hate the anesthesia with a passion.
The lst surgery I had was awful afterwards.
The last few days I have not slep but maybe four hours a night and the just got up and had coffe. I try to nap but as I am falling asleep it is like I wont let my self go there.
I am trying to get everything done like clean up the house pay all the bills wash the sheets on both beds because mom will be here and I dont want her to have to clean when sh arrives.
Get stocked up on groceries.
Make my 12 step meetings because they keep me in tune with my support group.
Went today but was very hard to listen because of the pain. At least i was there.
Just don't know what to do about the pain. I try heat ice hot showers towels rolled under the neck and lay flat. I just can't seem to get the pain down below and 8.
Mentally I can hang pretty good around a 5-6 but cheezz!!! give me a break!
I have this burnig hot dagger feeling in the bottom of my neck right below the shoulder line. I have had this naggin buring in my scapula/shoulder and numbness on my neck cheek and midback, my arms are weak ..... relentless

I am just beside my self. I even canceled watchin a movie with friends tonigh because I was just not feeling like being with anybody. It is not good to isolate like this.

What do I do....???

I am sad that I am starting out the new year with yet another surgery but at the same time I am optimistic it is going to help my pain and arm weakness.

Any suggestions for any of my complaints...

Okay I am done venting it out now

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User
Re: Tired of PAIN, anxious for the surgery and find my self wanting to isolate..

Chrissy, my heart and prayers go out to you! I have noticed that I, too, have been isolating myself away from others. I am just patiently waiting for my Cymbalta to finally kick in to relieve some of this pain that I am going through, both physically and mentally. Before my condition, I was care-free and easygoing. Now, I am edgy and in pain! I have a feeling that tonight, I am just going to spend my time on the boards and want to wish everyone a Happy and "Pain-Free" New Year!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Tired of PAIN, anxious for the surgery and find my self wanting to isolate..

Chrissy:
I am so sorry that you are suffering this bad. If the doctor is allowing you to increase your med, then DO IT. You do not need to suffer this way. I know you are in recovery but you run the risk of relapse if you DO NOT GET THE PAIN UNDER CONTROL. Trust me I know this from experience because I have relapsed from the pain getting bad. You are punishing yourself when you don't need to by not taking the increase in the meds. Don't worry about the post up pain control because you already know the surgeon is going to handle it appropriately. FOCUS ON TODAY, increase your meds so you are at least comfortable and not consumed with intense pain. Please just do it and see how much it helps. You don't need to suffer like you are doing when there is a way to be in less pain. You won't experience a "high" as long as you are still in some pain. The "high" happens when you take more meds than you have pain. I hate to see you suffer like this. I will pray for you and please follow my SUGGESTIONS.

Brian

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Chrissy:
I don't know if this would help you to sleep or not but you could try taking what I take. I take 3mg of melatonin with 2 benadryl. It helps me get to sleep and it works quite well. It's worth a shot right even if it help you get an hour of extra quality sleep. I hope things get better.

Brian

Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Chrissy,

Honey I am sending great big (HUGS) and pints of (ICE CREAM)-2 spoons, your way! Save me a seat! The pre-op blues....I could write a book. I even sound like you do....."This is not my first surgery, so why am I _____?" Because it's surgery! Gosh we are so hard on ourselves. It's surgery, surgery is scary. There are so many things rolled up into it.....hope, fear, anxiety, fear......Ugh.

Chrissy, first of all, please take your meds that you need right now. Brian is very wise to say, gotta live for today! I was so worried about the doctors not being able to treat my pain after surgery! I shared my fears, and they about laughed at me! They said that I was on such a small dose, 20mg of oxy three times a day, compared to some patients they had treated, that it was literally, NO PROBLEM! I got to thinking, you know, that is true. They have to have treated people on dose 3 times, 6 times, even 10 times higher than mine......I'll be a piece of cake! LOL

Just remember what I told you about pain control in the hospital. Write a list of things that you want to discuss with the surgeon and anesthiesiologist BEFORE surgery. (I wrote the list, because I get so nervous, I would forget eveything!) Go ahead and pack a bag for your comfort. I had eveything in my bag! Books, magazines, snacks, mints, gum, hair things (including the spray conditioner for tangles), and some of those wet wipes for the bathroom (these worked great! They can double as a cleansing cloth for face and body, and when using a potty by the bed, they make you feel SOOO much cleaner!) Get the flushable wipes in the green box for kids. They smell like apples and pears! YUM!

Now take a deep breath, take your pain meds, and call a friend. Tell him/or her that you need to have a good time before surgery, and you would like to ________!!!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers Chrissy for peace during this stressful time, a successful surgery, and a pain controlled recovery.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 01-01-2008 at 04:42 AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Brian, Amanda,

Thanks so much!!

I will be getting out of the house this morning to go to my 12 steo sponsors house. That will probably be enough activity for the day.

This morning I am still feeling the same! URGH!!!
My sponsor says the same thing..."If you need to take them take them"

I alos like the ideas on you list for the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

I was planning to take a list of my current meds and of course my Miralx...LOL

I was not sure ehat to pack for the stay. My most favorite PJ's and some new socks...love new socks!
Of course I would have never thought of the baby whipes but I know they give those at the hospital becaouse I have seen others with them.
I may have my Mom bring my ap top so I can chat with everyone.

There is so much that needs to get done before then.

We are also expecting 3 big snow storms in a row. I actually may have to take a cab to Hospital the mornign of surgery if Mom has not made it here because of the weather. I just have to be there so early I dont want to bother anyone to be up to take me.

My pain at least allowed me not to wake up five times during the night...lol only 2 times but that is improvment.

That nagging burning hot knife in my neck/midback is just relentless.

It just will not give me a break!!

It is only 5 in the morning and it already is an 8...yucky

Well I know that this wont be forever and if that is all I got to hold onto right now the so be it!

Surgery blues...who could have thought.

I have heard that neck surgery takes so much out of you.

I am scared that I wont have enough help when my Mom leaves.

How long do you think it will take before I can do things like pop a frozen dinner in the micro or wash a dish or 2?????

Is there anything else that I should be doing to prepare????

Any other suggestions to help relax???

Chrissy

Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Chrissy,

I went shopping before my surgery. Here's few things I got that helped me when I was alone and needed something to eat or drink.

1. A TV tray table, one that you can sit stuff on and slide over your lap in the bed. You can find a standard white one at most drug stores. This was invaluable to me! I kept all my meds, drinks, snacks, reading materials, ect. It slides easily on carpet or hard wood, and I could move it with my foot or toes very easily. This was the best thing I bought for myself!

2. Cans of soup with the pop top, not one you need can opener for.

3. Snacks. Saltine crackers for snacking and nausea. 100 calorie packs of cookies and crackers. Ice cream or sherbert for sore throats.

4. Easy drinks. I bought Capri Suns, the larger bags and kept them on the top shelf. You can do the same with juice boxes, bottled water, small can cokes, ect. This way you are not lifting a larger container, or making dirty glasses.

5. Disposable plates and bowls. No dishes!

6. Your daily meds in a week planner. It's easy to forget to take our regular meds, so I just filled a week or two's worth, and those week long organizers only take up a tiny bit of space on your table.

7. A phone, and charger that is already plugged in.

8. All your remotes, plus favorite movie already in the DVD player.

9. LIP BALM, soooo important in the hospital and at home!

There are some of the things that helped me. Like I said, that table was invaluable to me! I got most of this ready before I even went to the hospital. I also cleaned the bedding and made up the bed so it would be fresh and clean when I got home. I hope some of this helps! I only had my fiancee with me for the first few days after I came home because he had to return to work. We loaded up the tray, and I was fine. It was truly a Godsend.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 01-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hi friends,

Well this morning I woke up at 3:30 and could not go back to sleep so I went down staris and made coffee.

I decided to go to the natural Hot Springs pool and soak in the hot water. It always makes my skin so soft ffrom all the minerals. Anyway I spent about 2 1/2 hours there and then came home and took a long hot shower and went to my sponsors house.

I am home now and relaxing. I still hae a lot of pain but I think it is down to a 7 which is great considering.

Amanda,
What a great list thanks. I am not sure how many days my Mom is going to stay, but I will make sure that when she leaves I get all those things in line. The disposable bowls etc. I always have paper plates. I am not really sure if I will be able to make it up the stairs to my bedroom so my mom and I will discuss how to arrange a place for me on the coach.
I actually have an ottaman that goes with a chair in my living room but I use it with my coach too and that may work out great.

Sometime this week I will go shopping and stick up on all my favorite frozen meals. I love fresh fruit and vegis so I will get my fill while my mom is here and then I dont know after that. She may go back home for a few days and then come back. Depends on how I feel and what she has going on at home.

Well I gotta run for now becaus this is aggrivating my neck and shoulder to be on line.
Try to read a while or watch tv.

I will check back in later.

Chrissy

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Chrissy - can you tell us once again the date of your surgery, exactly what will be performed and the number of days you expect to be in the hospital? I always hate asking folks to repeat themselves, but with so many posters it's really hard for me to keep up with everyone's issues. Also, how long will the recouperative period be post op?? Do you expect to stop taking medication for your chronic pain once you are thru with the post op pain? I mean....is this THE surgery that is expected to solve your pain issues? Thanks for taking the time to recap for me. Memere

Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
(male)

JohnSmith1us HB User

I am new here. I understand what you are going through. I have been isolated for 9 years with my back. Standing and even sitting make the pain much worse so I feel like I am in solitary confinement. I have my computer set up so I can use it laying down on the couch. On top of all this I had surgery about 6 weeks ago. That was tough but the surgery is healing well and not much of a problem now. Stock up on some of your favorite foods so you can treat yourself.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Good Morning Frieds,

Welcome John!

I am not really having a very good morning. Can't turn my head left or right without excruciating pain. I am hoping that it gets better with a shower.

Memere,

I will be having a Posterior Cervical Laminotomy and Foraminotomy C 3-4 C 4-5. The neuro decided that he did t=not think I needed it at C 5-6.

The surgery date is the 8th of Jan. So only 6 days left and counting...LOL

I am expected to be in the hospital 1-2 days and my first appointment after is on the 25th. The neuro said PT at 6 weeks post op.

As for the meds I will play that one by ear and just see how I am doing. I know one thing is for sure I will not just go off them cold turkey but will do a taper. I have discussed that with the PM and will go back to him during that process if needed or if needed because the pain is still there or whatever.

In a perfect world I would like to be getting active and off the meds by six weeks but I will just have to listen to my body.

John,

Welocme to this forum. Glad that you are here. What kind of surgery did you have? Tell us more about yourself.
You may want to make a post and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and a little about your history.

I have been isolating alot the last few weeks. I was on workers comp for 3 years for an arm injury and that led to 4 surgeries on my arm. Right as I was closing that case and much much better I was involved in an auto accident that resulted in my neck injury about 6 months ago.
I did a lot of isolating while on workers comp. John...I found that most of my friends just did not understand about pain and what it does to you when it is chronic.
Over the lst few years I have learned so much about my self and how the painworks on me.
I still need to interact with other people and I find that I need to take pieces of my life back despite the pain. I had to become aware of my limits.
John I hope that you will find some help and friends on this board. It has been such a help to me.
Hang in there and don't forget to introduce yourself.

Chrissy

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
(female)

Juls45 HB User

Hi Chrissy, I know what its like to feel alone. I am alone for the most part and I dont go out unless my sister picks me up. I happy to have sites like this one to talk to other people that know what I'm going through. Good luck with your surgery. Hugs Juls

Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
(female)

tinabean34 HB User

Hi there,
Don't feel bad about wanting to isolate. I have that urge every day and I am not due for surgery. My pain has been hovering at the same levels as yours even on the pain meds. It's driving me crazy. Im sad and depressed and want to be alone. It's normal in the state you are in, sometimes not advisable of course but I believe when we are in so much pain it is hard to focus on ohter things that are going on around us whether they are good for us or not. It's hard for others to understand what we are going through no matter how close to us they are. Try to do what you can, it sounds to me that you are doing alot considering how bad you feel and that's a good thing. Look at what you are doing instead of what you aren't. Say at least I changed the sheets, or at least I did...it might help you a little feel more settled. Sometimes it's okay to want or to be alone.
I hope everything works out for you with your surgery coming up. I hope it helps to lessen the pain, it's what we all want. In the mean time just focus on getting to the surgery. Then focus on recovery. I wish you the best.
Tina

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Ladies the post you are replying to is 2 years old. I haven't seen the poster around in a loooong time. Make sure you check the date in the upper left corner b4 you reply to posts.

Closed Thread