It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Chronic Pain and Exercise

I have been reading a book about chronic pain and one of the things that they recommend is doing daily exercise no matter how badly you feel. At this point, I can't even walk 200 feet without being in misery. They are saying that you should do some form of exercise regardless even if it simply raising your arms up and down, rotating your shoulders, riding a stationary bike, getting in a pool, walking, etc.

I was wondering what type of exercises you do to keep those muscles moving? I am looking for suggestions that I might consider doing on a daily basis and also do you do these no matter what your pain level is? If you are a spinney please let me know so that I can see what my fellow back suffers are doing.

Thanks a million for your responses.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-02-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Chronic Pain and Exercise

Hi Diet,

I'm not spiney, but I can share what I do. Yes, I exercise regardless of the pain. I take a dose of BT med 30 min ahead of time and go for it. I find it helps to do it with others. It's more fun, more supportive and there's accountability. It helps raise endorphin levels too which can help with pain or at least raise your spirits.

I have a referral for physical therapy to learn what I can do to strengthen my legs and knees, to get the most from my exercise. Maybe you could go to PT to learn the safest, most effective exercise for you?

Best Wishes,

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Hi again DDD, I have comcast cable and in the free section they have exercise t.v and the have some 2-5 minute workouts. I am doing some of the basic yoga and one that is just sitting and doing breathing. I know it doesn't sound like much but I am starting to feel a little more flexible, and the big plus is its releasing some endorphins into my poor bluesy brain. I think I have S>A>D seasonal affective disorder, I get really bummed in the winter so I need all the endorphins I can get (lol)

Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Amen to the help with SAD!

I've got that too, and here in Silicon Valley it seems like nothing but rain every single day. Enough already!

steve

Old 02-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Dee thanks for the suggestion I have comcast too so I will definitely check this out.

Steve good suggestion about the BT meds 1/2 hour before. I will give that a try as well.

I am desperate to try anything.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi DDP!

I am also a spiney, and it helps to talk with your PT about 'good pain' vs 'bad pain', learn to recognize pain that it is okay to keep exercizing through, and when it is a warning sign that you are over doing it.

I have learned over the years that there are things I cant do, unless I want to spend the next 3 days in bed with ice and a heating pad, My fusion is cervical, so any action that twists that area is out, shrugging motions, lifting my arms over my head, and any repetitive action with my upper body is out, vacuuming can land me in the ER, but I find I can walk up to a mile a day, ignoring the all over ache and the low back stuff, and I dont pay later, and actually feel better if I can do it at least 3 times a week rather than once a week.

I cannot pull anything heavy, so I need help for instance lifting wet towels from the washer and putting them into the dryer.

When I cant go out for my walk, I try and go through each part of my body, starting at my toes, and concentrate on tightening those muscles, then relaxing, over and over, then moving on, I usually fall asleep before I get to my head, lol but you can buy cd's that can help you relax this way, they really do work, again your PT or massage therapist should be able to help you get what you need.

I tried water areobics, way way too much for me, I was in agony for days after, so I switched to NO impact shallow water areobics, and that was fun, helped me a lot, and if you have a local community pool they should offer these classes, I live across the street from a college with a pool, and I only paid $5 a class on a drop in basis.

some pain you work through, and some you dont, over time you will learn to listen to your body, with trial and error, you can keep your body from getting worse from non activity and poor muscle tone and not re-injure yourself in the process.

HTH, and I hope you get on a better med soon, that will help also, right now, I think everything hurts on you, so it will be hard for you to know what activity is okay and whats not.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Eveyone,

I think there are some great things in this post. Pepper I think we are reading the same book. We have talked about it before.

[removed]

I have really been struggling emotionally the past few weeks. Part of the stuff I am supposed to do is to walk. The doc did not mean go out and exercise walk but I actually find it easier to walk a slow 1/2 mile then to walk in the Wal-mart while I point at things and have someone push the cart etc.

Seriously I have been so down that I just started to go out and walk outside around my condos. They get the streets cleaned up quickly.
I have been sooooo SAD. Crying alot. Discouraged about my future and in a lot of pain.

I decided that I shouled get out there and move around because it would be good for me mentally and physically.
You do over time get to know wehn to stop or even when NOT to do anything.
Pver the last week to ten days I have slowly been dragging myself out of the hole of saddness. And I now look forward to the walking. But sometime it does flare it up real bad and it is a hit or miss for the elevated pain from it.

Sometimes it does not bother me and sometimes it will. I never really know so I just do because I gotta do something about the saddness and I am an outside person no matter what the season.

You guys yesterday was very cold and I ached all over right when I woke up. I went to wal mart and walked in there and came home and did a 1/2 mile outside even though the cold was bone chilling. The pay off was that I was happier just because I did feel like I was taking part in my life and my recovery. I had some elevation in the pain but I do think that I was able to handle it emotionally and mentally better.

So pepper I would find out some of the things that people suggested such as getting some info from your doc and or PT as to what things would not be good and what things would be good and then just get familiar with the signal your body sends.

Great topic.

Chrissy

Last edited by HBMod07; 02-03-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Disclosing location is not permitted

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi DDP, I have been out of work for 4 yrs now and I so wish I could work. But unfortunately I lost all use of my left arm and almost all the use of my right arm and have recently decided to join a health club operated by the local hospital. I can't use any of my upper body as far as my neck and shoulders are concerned but I can use my lower body. I going to New York with my daughters in a couple of months and I know I never survive all that walking. So I'm slowly getting my legs and knees back in shape so I'll be ready to go. It's been hard because I have real bad arthritis in my hips, knees and ankles but I found that once I go back it helps. It also feels good to be able to get out of the house and around other people. I know right now it's slow going but I know if I just keep at it, it will get better. I hope you are able to find some exercise pratice that will help you. It's better to start now then later on because believe the longer you wait the harder it is.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Chrissy & Fabby,

You two are awesome. I read your posts and I am just amazed. Really!

Fabby - You are so wise. And so gentle. Your posts are always right on the money, and so full of grace.

And Chrissy, you are just an awesome example of fortitude. A half mile? Geez, There's no way I could do that. And how you manage it with all of your struggles blows my mind.

You two are my heroes of the week! I'd be proud to have half of your wisdom & strength.

Hope you have a great day today.

steve

Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Sorry to interrupt your thread, DDP, but I need to give Chrissy a hug.
((((((((((((Chrissy)))))))))))))))))
I am sorry you have been so sad, I have been there myself, and not only is it no fun, depression makes pain worse, and visa versa, it can be such a hard cycle to get out of.
Are you on or have you tried an antidepressant? I fought going on them when I first started CP treatment, but they have helped me so so much, they dont really have any side effects, I just noticed I stopped crying all the time, and was better able to think of the future and make plans without the serious depression in the way.
Either way, you can always come here to us for support, Hang in there and I hope your pain, both emotional and physical, improves very soon.

Hugs, Fabby

PS~((((((Steve)))))))))))) thank you so much! what a nice thing to say. I always look for and enjoy reading your posts, you are very insightful and caring. thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 02-03-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding post script

Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
(female)

morgyporgy HB User

I try to walk atleast 4 times a week and if it's warm enough i love to be in the pool or the ocean. Unfortunetly if the surf is too rough here, the ocean isn't an option. LOL Talk about a workout It definetly makes me feel better and just doing the little bit that i do i managed to lose 33 pds. in a yr. I am very proud of that. It really does help kick the endorphins in and although it may hurt a bit more physically, it makes me feel great emotionally and mentally. Find something that is right for you and try it, you will probably be glad you did. GL & God bless, morgyporgy

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Fab don't feel bad for interrupting my thread -- I actually read alot of Chrissy in me-- we are desperate to feel better and are very frustrated and depressed.

I have tried cymbalta, elavil, palemor and prozac. I had more success with prozac for depression personally. Just an FYI.

Anytime, I have a thread I do not have problems with other jumping in. I feel that we are here to support one another and sometimes a thread pertains to more than one of us.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

I know this sounds crazy, but we got a Wii for Christmas, and the Sports disc that comes with it has golf, bowling, baseball and boxing. It's crazy, but it really does exercise the body. I can't do the boxing due to the rods in my back, but we play everyday.

I've seen where they have started putting Wii's in Retirement Homes and Nursing Homes to encourage the patients/residents to exercise!! Waaaay fun though.

A tad bit expensive, when all you really need to do is get out of the house and go for a walk! LOL!!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have done the bowling twice - it is a way to distract you and frankly any distraction is better than none.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

My excerising is going to grocery store and hobbeling the isles
I also have a wii and ds, Ds i use brain games which help keep me focused and wii for limited arm movement. Granted at times i use a pillow but it does help.
For many of us a regular program would not work but there are many simple things we can do that does count as movement.
I also use some squeeze balls to help with hand pain and a nerf basketball i toss to a trash can. These are kind of silly but i notice when i do not do my silly things i Notice big time.

Closed Thread