It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Update - Steve

Everyone,

I've now completed all the tests, the blood panel, the bone density test and the MRI.

I don't yet have results but am excitedly looking forward to getting back to a more normal state. The physician that directed the MRI this morning was very thoughtful, and indicated that he didn't see anything abnormal. He said there is a brain in there somewhere, and that it looks like the Energizer Bunny banging away This is very, very good news. I'll hear about everything on Friday at my next appointment with the endocrinologist.

I do believe, as many of us suspected, that this will probably be blamed on the narcotic pain meds. That's fine with me - so long as I don't have any life-threatening conditions then who cares? I can get on with treatment and get back what I've been missing.

Thanks everyone for all of your prayers and support.

I'll be sure to post on Friday after my next appointment with the endo.

steve

Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Update - Steve

Steve,
what a great news - I am very-very happy for you.
When you leave with CP news usually are not that exciting, so when you get a good report, feels like a light at the end of the tunnel.
Keep up with good work and hopefully more good news are on a way for you!!!

Best of luck to you....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Obviously, I don't know much (or anything) about your case...Only what you're shared on this board....But I really think that when you get stabilized on a good HRT program, you will feel like a new person. The Doc will monitor your levels with periodic blood work to make sure that you're not too high or too low. Generally speaking, the goal with HRT is to get the patient to around the upper third of their respective age group...No worse than 50th percentile.

Androgel is the DOC for most physicians...5.0g packets are the usual starting dose...They may start you @ 7.5 since you're so low. The 5g comes in individual packets...One packet per day rubbed on your arms or shoulders. Or, it's available in a pump, which may or may not be more convenient.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Steve: I am so relieved that the MRI looked good. I would assume, based on my dad's case, if there was anything there, they would have seen it right away. You were very lucky to have the radiologist right there. I hate it when it's only the techs and they give you that "You'll have to wait for your doctor" routine.

I hope everything else comes out OK, as well. I am sure if they put you on HRT, you'll start feeling so much better. Before my dad was on the meds, he didn't even have any interest in golf and that was a tell-tale sign that something was off. After, he was back out on the links as often as possible.

God bless you and your family. I can imagine your children are much relieved. I will certainly continue to pray for your continued improvement and your increasing peace of mind. Take care and keep us posted. cmpgirl

Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Steve,
what a great news - I am very-very happy for you.
When you leave with CP news usually are not that exciting, so when you get a good report, feels like a light at the end of the tunnel.
Keep up with good work and hopefully more good news are on a way for you!!!

Best of luck to you....
Moldova,

Thanks so much. Given what you've been through these last few weeks, if this news brings you a little relief or lightened feeling, then that's wonderful. I know the Lord will use my experience in many ways, whether the outcome is good or bad. And if He has used it to bring you encouragement then that's fantastic.

Here's wishing you a nice, relaxing evening.

steve

Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Obviously, I don't know much (or anything) about your case...Only what you're shared on this board....
You've got the entire story. I've not held anything back because I need as much support and informed advice as I can get. And the advice you've offered from personal experiences has been very helpful.

Quote:
...I really think that when you get stabilized on a good HRT program, you will feel like a new person...
This is my hope. It's been so long since I've felt really good. The doc said the bone density test will reveal how long my T level has been too low - I guess there's a relationship between low T and poor bone density? I knew low hormone levels can cause brittle bones in women but I didn't know there was also a similar relationship with T and bone issues for men.

Quote:
Androgel is the DOC for most physicians... ...Or, it's available in a pump, which may or may not be more convenient...
The script from my GP was for an Androgel pump. I suppose I'll Learn Friday how the endocrinologist will prescribe the AndroGel.

Thanks so much for your continued support.

steve

Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Steve: I am so relieved that the MRI looked good. I would assume, based on my dad's case, if there was anything there, they would have seen it right away. You were very lucky to have the radiologist right there. I hate it when it's only the techs and they give you that "You'll have to wait for your doctor" routine.
Very lucky. He isn't the "reading and reporting" radiologist, but has plenty of experience reading these scans and said mine was very clear.

Quote:
I hope everything else comes out OK, as well. I am sure if they put you on HRT, you'll start feeling so much better. Before my dad was on the meds, he didn't even have any interest in golf and that was a tell-tale sign that something was off. After, he was back out on the links as often as possible.
This is so good to know. I want renewed motivation and excitement in the things I love to do. I want to feel better. And I can't wait.

Quote:
God bless you and your family. I can imagine your children are much relieved. I will certainly continue to pray for your continued improvement and your increasing peace of mind. Take care and keep us posted. cmpgirl
God has blessed my family richly. And, yes, my kids are so relieved. None of us likes to see our kids suffering anxiety about anything. It's especially hard to see them worry about yourself. Peace of mind is worth so much, and it's so nice to have a little more of it.

Thanks so much cmpgirl. You have hung in there with me through it all, and I treasure that so much. I've thought of you and your dad often throughout all this, and his story has always been comforting. I can't thank you enough for sharing that with me right from the start. It's something I've been able to hang on to when the worry did come.

Thank You.

steve

Old 04-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

((((((((((Steve)))))))))))

I am so humbled by your great attitude, I have no worries that whatever life can throw at you, you can catch with ease.

I am sorry that it looks like you will be joining us here on the CP boards for some time, but selfishly I am glad to have you as a resource and as a great friend.

Hugs, Fabby

Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

One last suggestion for you....Many of the best Docs in this field will tell you that they treat the symptoms, and not the number. According to my Uro, most legitimate HRT patients surface because they've complained and experienced some very tough symptoms...Depression, cardio problems, lethargy, & etc....And testing discovers low T. Conversely, patients who see a particular number on a physical and then ask for help aren't take that seriously.

With HRT, it's not unusual for patients numbers to increase, yet the symptoms only marginally improve. Just like everything else we've discussed on this board, HRT is no different in that it's individualized. What works for one, may not for another. Conversely, some patients get restoration with only a small jump in the free or total T. Use the symptoms and the improvement as the guide, more so than the number. However, as a very general rule, it takes around the 50th percentile to get complete restoration.

If your Doc doesn't discuss this concept, you may want to bring it up and see what he says.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Steve,
This is really great news. See didn't I tell you that things were going to be ok and that you would be posting on the board with great relief. I may be partially psychic or psychotic, haven't figured that out yet. kidding of course. Anyway I am sure that you have a lot of gratitude. I wasn't clear on if you had used the Androgel before or not? If so, did you see results from it meaning good results Please keep me posted because I had semi-low numbers with 318 for my T level. I know the minimum is 300 but I have been using the supplement from my health store and I can tell you that I am not experiencing any problems. The only problem I do have is that I can not, uh finish but I think this is because of reduced sensation from the pain meds. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, haven't figured that out either.

brian

Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
((((((((((Steve)))))))))))

I am so humbled by your great attitude, I have no worries that whatever life can throw at you, you can catch with ease.

I am sorry that it looks like you will be joining us here on the CP boards for some time, but selfishly I am glad to have you as a resource and as a great friend.

Hugs, Fabby
(((((Fabby)))))

Thank you so much for the kind words, and for the confidence. I must admit that I'm sure the Lord is the one that brings whatever calm I may show. He has brought me through so much that I've developed this almost rock-solid confidence in Him. I don't ever know what the outcome will be, but I do know that He's in control every moment and that He is going to bring something amazingly good out of every struggle. I am so thankful we have a "good" God, and not a mean, vengeful one.

I'm not at all happy about long-term CP, but I am very happy to be on this board and to have incredible friends like you Fabby. What a difference this board has made in my life. And in such a short time. Heck, I'm one of the new guys here and look how you've all brought me in so close to all your hearts. And I don't even know you. Well, that's not really true is it? I don't know what you look like, but I know a little of what you're like on the inside. That's the most beautiful and important part anyway.

Thanks Fabby!

steve

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

No, I haven't used the AndroGel yet, but I promise to report the results as they come.

About not finishing - I experienced this the first time when I was put on a alpha blocker for BP long ago. And that's been with me pretty much ever since then. I think there's many meds that can cause this, including our pain meds and others like Tramadol and the antidepressants. I really don't know if there's anything we can do about it - but if you ever find anything please let me know.

steve

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

The HRT will take care of this problem. Depending on how much the Endo puts you on, and how high your levels are restored, you will probably experience many of the male teenager experiences again, especially morning erections. In fact, they are a tell tale sign that the T is getting dialed in. Have them, and your in good shape. Don't have them, T is too low.

Ex

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Steve,

I'm so very glad everything came out so well for you. The other stuff will work itself out. I just know it. I've been praying for you, and very LOUD!! Hope He's hearing me.

Will keep on prayin' for ya. Know that there is a Mass said for this entire board (hope that doesn't offend anyone) every Thursday morning at 8:15am. Has been for over a year now, I just haven't shared it with ya'll.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Spinal: Just wanted to say thank you for the masses. I am definitely not offended. I am very grateful and touched that you have done this for all of us. You are a sweetheart and I've always enjoyed and learned a great deal from your posts. Honesty is always appreciated as are prayers.

Hugs and prayers right back at you! God Bless, cmpgirl

(Steve, hope I didn't hijack your thread!)

Closed Thread