It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Smile Friday Neuro Appt. Met a lady with the same Neuro and same Surgey I need.

Hey everyone,

My Neuro appointment will be on Friday morning. I have been crossing the days off on the calendar..lol...waiting. It has seemed like forever.

I was a warehouse food store yesterday with my neighbor, and we were in there for a long time. Longer than I expected.

I started to get into a lot of pain and I found a place to sit down and I must of moaned a spft moan as I sat down while I was holding the side of my neck.

This women walking by said are you OK??? I said yes i just have a neck injury that gets flared sometimes. She said I just had neck surgery 4 months ago.
To make a long story short. SHe is 70 years old and looks like she is 60. She had the same surgery that I will be having and ....lol she has the same Neuro as I do. And if that is not funny enough...well she has an appt on Friday too. LOL.
It was nice to meet her and know that my Neuro did her surgery and she is soooo much better especially at 70 years old.

So the big day will be Friday and my Mom is coming up today so she can be at the appointment with me. SHe is a great Mom and I don't know what I would do with out her.

We have some activities planed for today and tomorrow to take my mind off the upcoming appt.
Today we are taking a beading class at a local bead store. She is gogin to learn to make a necklace and me a bracelet. Cool stuff.
We will hit the used book store so I can get some reading materials for the upcoming surgery. SInce I will not be able to drive for a loong while and need some entertainment.
Then a little 1/2 day of fishing, but this time we are using our little fold up canvass chairs and packing cooler so we can sit sit sit.
Both her and I have been is a lot of pain the last week.

The spasams have mellowed out and gone back down to their normal intensity. I have really been taking it easy. Today I woke from the pain in my scapular area burning starting from the neck and radiating down to the scapular. SOme slight weakness in the arms.

My doc says the scapular pain is secondary to the neck injury. Do you neck pain folks have these symptoms. I also have the burning and pinching and the occasional hot poker.

Well I am gald to have Mom coming today and to have the distraction.

I am going to make a list of questions for the Neurologist concerning the Anterior Cervical Diskectomey with Fusion (ACDF) 2 level C 4-5 C 5-6

If any of you reading this have some suggestions for questions please post them.
Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Friday Neuro Appt. Met a lady with the same Neuro and same Surgey I need.

Enjoy your time with your mother .. I'm sure your surgery will go great too .

Gosh I miss my mom

Old 06-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thanks Shawley,

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

I just checked back in to say I made a post in the Spinal Cord Disorders Forum, to post my questions for the Neurologist so if any of you wanted to see them and suggest anything else please do so.

Chrissy

Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Chrissy, I think it is wonderful that you and your Mom are so close. As a mother, I know that means alot to her. Yesterday, my 11 year old daughter said, "you know Mom, we talk just like sisters do!" It made my heart melt. Anyway, you post reminded me of that.

That is really cool that you met up with someone who knows your doctor and had the same surgery. That must be so reassuring and I think the LORD was trying to show you that things will be fine.

Good luck on Friday and I am praying for you.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Chrissy,
Glad to hear your mom is coming to distract you. Great idea.
I have pain near my shoulder blade...burning, stabbing, you name it!
But they don't know where it's coming from. I've had mris and numerous injections in c-4, c-5, c-6 and 7 but...nothing. I hope your surgery helps you out and you can look ten years younger too! Hang in there.~Mush

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Chrissy,
I guess you just met a person with a successful outcome. That is good to know. You should have asked her how much pain that she was in. I guess you will need to come to your own conclusion as to whether to go through with the surgery. I do really really hope that it will help you. I would definitely get your list of questions together for the neurosurgeon. Do you know how soon you would be able to schedule the surgery? I guess you will find out on friday. Well I am going to go to bed so I will check in later today. Take care my friend.

brian

Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi everyone,

I am so much like a little child~~~~ X'ing the days off on the calendar until my Appt. tomorrow! LOL
Well tomorrow is the day..I hope to at least be told yes I can now proceed with the scheduling of the surgery.

I am mentaly ready to have it done.

Mush, All those discs in my neck are damaged C 3-4 C 4-5 C5-6 C 6-7 I think about the same as you. I too have tries all the imaginable methods with the exception of the Prolo-Therapy and Botox and accupuncture.

Pepper, How sweet of you daughter!! Yes, my Mom and I have a very special relationship. She is my Rock....the one among a few constant supporters throughout this journey.

We did have a really fun time yesterday. We were both hurting a nit after our little beading class, but the fun out--weighed the hurt..ya know! She made an awesome necklace and bracelet and I made a really beautiful bracelet with crystal beads. Hers was made with silver and Snowflake Obsidian beads.

Brian, thanks for your suppor tas always....The lady I met did tell me she is almost totally pain free. She says every now and then she has to take a pain med to get the pain to calm down but not often. What a good out come.

Pepper, your right about the message from God, I did not think of it like that so thanks for helping me to have a different perspective.

I posted a list of questions for my Neuro on the spinal cord forum if you want to check it out.

Chrissy

Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
(female)

patrish07 HB User

Hello my name is patty and i also lived with alot of pain for about 15 years with my back and neck. mri and ct scans showed that i had 4 buldging, herniated, ruptured and torn discs with athritus and bone spurs. C 4 - C 7 well i went through pt spinal injections omg what pain. pain killers anti inflamatories so on and so forth.

Well I finall could not take the pain any more limited on anything i chose to do i am 42 and was living like i was 80.

I gave in and finally had the surgery on june 24 2008 and could not be happier i am in a bit of pain but the headaches are gone yippee i do have some muscle spasms and pain but nothing to compair to what i was living with before. i have a hard collar i have to wear almost 24/7 but it seems to help alot. and the pain meds they gave to relieve do help alot and they also gave me spasm meds which i take as directed thank god for medicine lol.

Im only 2 weeks post op but every day is getting better hope i can help to answer any of your questions please dont hesitate to drop me a note.

oh sorry i didnt tell you the precedure they did it was a c4-c7 posterior hemilaminectomy with a fusion with rods and 8 screws. i had it done at new england baptist hospital and went through the boston spine group great people.

Good luck with everything take care patty

Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hi Patty,

Welcom to Health Boards.

I thanks you for your post! This is very encouraging to me. I am so happy to hear that your feeling so much better so quickly!

I am still going through some dr. appointmennts to get the surgery date.

At the Neurologist appointment after this post, my NS told me he wanted me to see an Ortho Surgeon in the area for a second opinion. I have seen the OS before for a second opinion so it was not a big deal. I was sad because it felt as though it was another roadblock and more waiting but after processing I realized it is in my best nterest and my NS is looking out for my best interest and the best surgical outcome possible.

I have the OS appointment set for July 17th and the follow-up NS appt. set for July 25th. The NS was a bit undecided as to wether he wanted to fuse 2 or 3 levels. So we shall see what the OS says.

Anyway I thank you so much for sharing with me about your neck. It is a tough deal and I truly do appreciate hearing about your experience.

How did your neck problems beign?? Was it an accident?

Anyway...welcome and have a great day!

Chrissy

Closed Thread