It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Hey, Hey, Hey

It's Pepper! Just checking in from vacation to let you know that I am living high on the hog...crab legs, shrimp, and clams every night for dinner. Lot's of sunshine, sand, boating, fishing, crabbing, sun burn (LOL), sea gulls, ducks, etc.

Pain wise I am hanging in there. The trip down was really very hard on me. Four hours in the car was not a good thing. I have had to take all of my break thru meds everyday and we have rented a moped which I use on the trails while everyone else is walking. Works out great!

This vacation has shown me that I need to do everything in my power to obtain pain relief. I have been so miserable that I have not been living life and I DESERVE it. Mentally the vacation has been good for me. Physically, I realize how much strength I have lost and how much pain I am in every single day. I need to go for the stim and pray that it does provide some pain relief.

Well I have to run, hubby just came home with a snickers blizzard and someone has to eat it so it might as well be me.

Last edited by ms_west; 07-16-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

cherish1 HB User
Re: Hey, Hey, Hey

Hey, great to hear from you!! Don't eat that Snicker's blizzard too fast - don't want brain-freeze on top of everything else!

I found out that I have my appointment (finally) for the new neurosurgeon in our new area to discuss the SCS trial on Monday. Can't wait!!!!!! I'll keep you posted.

Have fun but don't overdo!! (Car trips seriously bite!)

Cheri
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Pepper,

Have a few crab cakes for me, OK?

Can't even get them out here. Not decent ones anyway.

Cheers!

steve

Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

My hubby is a fisherman and I am sooo spoiled. I never pay for seafood and I get it super fresh! Enough bragging.

Glad to hear you're getting a mental vacation at least. I hope the stim works wonders for you. In the meantime avoid the brain freeze at all costs!!!

~Mush

Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

It is amazing how I am hurting as I crab but it does not matter because I am having so much fun. Does that make sense? It is like I am blocking out the pain because I am distracted. My hubby has been worried because I am walking bent over.

I have to share with you that we went down to the ocean and I was collecting sea shells. I had my back to the ocean and a wave knocked me down and it took my cane out with it the wave. My children were running after my cane and the other swimmers/beacher goers were helping me. It was a sight but can you imagine how funny it looked? Oh, we have had some really fun times. I wish you were all here with me. We would have a blast. I will catch up with you next week.

If you could please pray for me on Sunday since I will be traveling home.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Pepper, How funny, thats a first, chasing a cane in the ocean!
I am so glad you are enjoying yourself, sounds so wonderful. Please be careful, but enjoy all you can, yes I will say a prayer for your ride home. God bless, Sammy

Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Pepper: I'm so glad you are enjoying the vacation. There really is something about being away from home, in a beautiful setting, that will let you keep going in spite of the pain. While it may mean a few days of down time when you get home, it is so worth it.

I had visions of that cane bobbing up and down in the waves and everyone going after it and it gave me my chuckle for the day! Thank God there were also enough people around to help you get back up on your feet.

Have some luscious seafood for us and enjoy every morsel. I will be thinking of you and saying a little prayer for you on Sunday for your ride home.

Have a great time for the rest of the trip. I'm glad you had internet access to check in with us. It kind of makes it seem like we're not that far apart. Have a safe trip home. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
It is amazing how I am hurting as I crab but it does not matter because I am having so much fun. Does that make sense? It is like I am blocking out the pain because I am distracted...
Pepper,

In a way this is how our pain meds work. They are both a form of distraction, but the pain meds actually do help to block pain signals as well.

So think of crabbing as a form of medication. In fact, get your doc to write a script for it and then the family will have to take vacations on a regular basis.

steve

Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

The last few nights I have never eaten so much clams and crabs in my life. I think I will not have to eat them for at least until next summer again. LOL

Today my back has been BAD. I am having increased pain from all the activities, but the activities have been good for everyone in my family. We all needed to try and escape from my pain. I think this trip has helped me realize even more that I need to fight for the additional medication to help me cope with the pain on a daily basis. I have been afraid of taking to much medication and fighting for the medication worried about what my doctor will think but when simply walking on a beach causes pain, or sitting in a restaurant, or sitting to fish causes more pain than my medicine can cover, it indicates the medicine is not currently sufficient.

Steve, I want you to know that I believe you and this trip have helped me realize that I need to really push for that med change as soon as I get home on Monday. Thank you so much for your support and everyone else I appreciate your words of wisdom and advice too. ((((Hugs))))

Last edited by ms_west; 07-18-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Diet I will be praying for you on Sunday, that is the worst part of the vacation getting there and travelling back. Four hours is a long time to spend so I really really will be thinking of you, I know I didnt even try a journey like that 2 hours was bad enough for me..... so I can only imagine how 4 is. I am glad you enjoyed your trip and you sound so determined to sort out the pain med situation now........... I can see from what you have written that you to have suffered the frustration of not being able to keep up with the others, well not even that, but you can see that you want more to your life and not to be in so much pain when everyone else is having such fun. Diet I actually thought of you on holidays as in one of your posts you were saying about no more trips/rides on rollercoasters.... well there was one on holidays and I just looked at it and said....... oh my God.... no certainely dont miss not been able to go on that. Told my husband he could go..... and he just froze and said no way....... my son wouldnt go either..think we are all chickens ! Have a safe and hopefully pain to a minimum journey home.

Round1

Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

oh Pepper...I am so pleased for you...getting away on vacation is wonderful...yes, it is a terrific form of distraction...go for it. Enjoy every second - take all of the meds you can/have to...and enjoy. Chasing the cane would be a funny sight.
I understand what you are saying about your life becoming more and more limited...it also happened to me...and that is what made me decide to have the drastic form of surgery that I had in June. I want my life...and am fighting to have it on my terms...if i can. I am recovering...much bed rest...wheel chair - walker - and just being a slug. But, the pain in my leg/toe/knee etc. are GONE...how wonderful. The back will follow as the healing process continues.
Enjoy your vacation...eat, drink (ha...soda!!) and make merry!! Thinking of you..

Leslie

Old 07-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

PEPPER!!!
You lucky thing!!! the only crab we get here in the mountains at 10,000 ft is frozen crap. You can have it flwn in, but I dont do that. Even Red Lobster {puke] 350 mi. away probably had frozen crab. YUK.
My ex inlaws have a place on the Redneck Riviera down at Gulf Shores in Fla. and we would go at 6 am and get fish, crab, EVERYthing at the docs and make home made gumbo, and have everything you ever wanted. Caught that morning. Amazing.
Eat up, and I hope you have a safe trip home sunday. Its time for The Deadliest Catch last show of the season, and Im glued to it before I leave!
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi, thanks guys. I am home and have just been recovering from the pain of the drive home and overdoing it last. I am experiencing sciatica from the buttocks to the tips of my toes..

I placed the call to my doctor and he has yet to return my call. Hopefully he will call tomorrow so we can make those med changes.

I had a blast and highly recommend that everyone go on a trip it is good for the soul.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Hey Pepper i am so glad you had a good time and i am sorry its hitting you now but i know we cant be that lucky to get out of the pain all together.
I will have to remember about the mopad sounds like a good idea.

I will agree crab legs are the life i get tired of them though cause livin here in Louisiana i get that sort of thing alot. Shoot i am sofar south i am almost in the gulf. We just never tire of crawfish!!

But it is kind of bad i am hurting cause although hurricane Dolly is not coming our way we will be getting the rain very soon i feel it. I am so glad you had fun YOU really deserve it!!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

HEY HEY HEY!!!

Pepper,
It is nice to hear that despite the pain and health issues your having a great time. I wish I could be there too...lol..I love the beach and fishing and seafood---oh and of course the blizzard. I am with Steve...please have some crab cakes for me too. I just love those suckers...lol

I am always praying for you and I thnk the Stim is a good idea. If I were in your place i would try it for sure. We will be here when your ready to cross that bridge.

Happy Days...
Chrissy
Oh ps
I had my MRI for the shoulder and will pick up the report today if it is ready.

Closed Thread