It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

mitchm059 HB User
Unhappy Sciatica Pain

Why after having back surgery 2 years ago am I still having problems with sciatica pain. Today is REALLY bad... I'm having a hard time trying to relieve the pain. My doctor put me on morphine and amrix last Wednesday. I like that I only have to take each one once a day... although I haven't gotten over being drowsy all day. I don't know if the resting from being so drowsy the past few days has caused my sciatica to flare up... but it's killing me today. Any advice out there?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Sciatica Pain

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Sciatica is so painful and debilitating isnt it!

I had chronic sciatica for onths till my physio therapist tried acupunture.
It took afew sessions but ever since i only have it rarely and not continuously as before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

mitchm059 HB User

Thanks for your reply... it is VERY painful and there seems to be nothing I can do for it. I tried just now to take my dog out for a walk and my husband (who's also from England.. Yorkshire) had to end up going with me cause the pain was so bad. He feels bad because he feels there is nothing he can do for me when it flares up so bad. I told him there's nothing I can even do when it gets this bad except cry and try to find a comfortable position. Try doing that while riding in a car with a seatbelt on :-(

Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I had spine surgery back in 2001. My sciatic pain arrived in March of 2004 and is still with me every day. I havea huge nerve pinching my disc and it is not easily fixable so I am now in PM. This is NOT un common, maybe you need to have an MRI and see if surgery can fix you. It may be temporary and could go away after some PT or some ESI'S. none of the above helped me and I have it very bad. it goes into my right foot and effects my leg, I also have began having left side sciatic pain, with right sided, so its now on both sides and I hurt every day... maybe you should see a surgeoun about this? I have and he said it is a 50% chance of helping me but I am not ready to have a 2 level fusion with decompression. it took me years to recover from a laminectomy I had in 2001 and they can't gaurentee I wil be pain free so I am passing on surgery.

SS

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

First off, welcome to the Pain Management boards

I know that sciatica pain is very painful and can be debilitating. I have only had a couple of flair ups in my life. You need to be aware of any positions that cause the pain to be worse. There are many times when sitting will cause it to be worse especially if the base of the chair is pushing against the nerve in the back of your leg.

Have you seen the doctor that did your back surgery for any type of follow up. If he is not helpful then you should seek out another opinion. What kind of doctor are you currently seeing?

Many times the opiod/opiate medications are NOT very helpful in controlling nerve pain. There are many other medications to treat nerve pain specifically that could be helpful including:

1. Lyrica
2. Neurontin (gabapentin)
3. Pamelor (nortriptyline)
4. Elavil (amitryptiline)
5. Trileptal

There are many more but these are the more common ones and used the most. They can be more effective than the morphine you are currently using although they could be used together.

As for the drowsiness you are having, it probably has more to do with the Amrix. I had not heard of this before and had to look it up. It is a muscle relaxant but it says that it should not be used long term. The #1 side effect is somnolence or drowsiness/tiredness. When you add the morphine in the mix I can see how it can be pretty sedating. I would ask your doctor if he plans on keeping you on the Amrix.

Is this combination of meds helping at all? I would at least mention the nerve pain meds to your doctor. I have nerve pain and take Lyrica and many people here on the boards take it as well. Keep us posted.

brian

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
(female)

mitchm059 HB User

Thanks for the response... I've tried talking to the surgeon that performed the back surgery 5/06, his answer was to send me to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist couldn't understand why I was even sent there (another lesson learned). I had 2 slipped vertebraes, so now I'm the lucky owner of 6 screws; disc replacement and a fusion. I've been on Lyrica but that didn't seem to work. This past week was my 1st time seeing the dr that prescribed the Morphine. Can't tell if the Morphine and Amrix is actually helping, cuz now I've this horrible sciatica pain... and nothing is taking the pain away other than practically sleeping on my head with my right leg stretched out, and my left leg up to my chin. I really thought that after my surgery (which I was very reluctant to have) I would be somewhat pain free. I didn't expect to be having some or all of the symptons that I was having prior to surgery. I'm waiting for a call back from my doctor regarding the sciatica problem... I will mention about something for nerve pain. A while back the pain mgmnt dr that I was seeing did have me try Lyrica cuz he said I had some nerve damage from the surgery (GREAT!!)... but unfortunately the Lyrica didn't work for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
(female)

mitchm059 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I had back surgery 5/06 consisting of 6 screws; disc replacement and fusion (had 2 slipped vertebraes) I guess I expected he pain to go away somewhat...yeah right!! Saw a new dr this past week who put me on Morphine and Amrix, which seem to have me like a zombie... now my sciatica has flared up like it did prior to surgery. It's flared up before.... but nothing like the pain I'm in now.... it's HORRIBLE!!! My sleeping positions are getting really difficult... nothing works. Is there ANYTHING I can do now to just relieve the pain some?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

You could go into see your family doc or go to the ER. Have them give you a shot with Toradol and Dilaudid. The Toradol is a high strength anti-inflammatory and he Dilaudid is a pretty heavy duty narcotic pain reliever. This would or I should say should make you feel much much better, Call and ask your doc if they can do it. If not then go to the ER or Urgent care and have them do it. It would mean some good relief.

brian

Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
(female)

mitchm059 HB User

Thanks for the info...to be quite honest after about a hour crawling on the bed and floor crying my eyes out last night, the thought of going to the ER was starting to sound really good. I ended up taking 2 Advil PMs (not to mention the Morphine & Amrix I had taken earlier) to see if that would help. After about a hour of crawling and crying, I think I wore myself out and found a position that seem to work...or I was just too exhausted to care. My husband even ended up sleeping on the couch cuz he didn't want me to move again. I woke up this morning thinking I was feeling alright. I tried to go into work today(which I sit for approx 6 hrs)...after about an hour the pain hit, the tears began to flow and I ended up leaving, thank God I have FMLA or I'd probably be fired by now with all my back issues. Of course my dr never called me back yesterday, which has my husband furious to say the least, since he's the one that has to see me this way. He says when anyone else sees me...that's a good day or I'm putting on a good show.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

You could try taking REGULAR Advil(ibuprofen) to see if that would help. Most people can take 800mg every 6 hours. If it doesn't help then just stop taking it. However the toradol shot that they could give you at the ER would really do the trick. If you do go to the ER make sure you tell them TORADOL in addition to any other pain medication they might put in it. The TORADOL treats the inflammation which is what is going on with the nerve. The inflammation is causing pressure on the nerve which is causing pain. Keep us posted. I know what you mean about the FMLA. I am so thankful I have it as well or I would probably have been fired by now.

brian

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Have you had your spine checked recently to see if you fused? If you have not fused, everything is shifting around and could be causing you sciatica pain. Also the hardware could be laying on a nerve as well.

I am so sorry you are suffering. I have been living with sciatica since 2004 and have had a week off from the pain since then. It is miserable and my heart goes out to you.

Have you tried:

*spa - I have found this to be the best thing ever.
*tens unit - attaching it to your legs
*biofreeze - this can be purchased online - gel soothing pain reliever. 100x then bengay/icy hot
*thermacare wraps on your legs.
*packing them in ice
*massage on your legs is heaven.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
(female)

Lynnzack HB User
Unhappy Re: Sciatica Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchm059 View Post
Why after having back surgery 2 years ago am I still having problems with sciatica pain. Today is REALLY bad... I'm having a hard time trying to relieve the pain. My doctor put me on morphine and amrix last Wednesday. I like that I only have to take each one once a day... although I haven't gotten over being drowsy all day. I don't know if the resting from being so drowsy the past few days has caused my sciatica to flare up... but it's killing me today. Any advice out there?

Closed Thread