It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
How Many Hours Of Sleep Do You Get Each Night???

Hello my friends,

I don't remember if we've had a recent thread about this or not, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

For me, I've found that because of my myriad of pain issues, (I have muscle, joint and nerve pain) I can only lay in bed for about 4 or 5 hours, without suffering some heightened pain levels. It doesn't really matter what bed I sleep in or what time I take my last dose of LA meds.

This has caused me to sleep only those 4-5 hours at night and try to take occasional naps throughout the day. I understand the importance of a good night's sleep, but I just can't seem to find a way to make it happen. My docs have Rx'd meds to help me sleep, but when I take them and go a full 8 hours, I am in absolute agony when I wake up.

I feel bad for hubby sometimes, because I tend to nod off during the evening sometimes, or I get very tired in the afternoons on the weekends and have to cut short an outing. He has never criticized or complained. But I know it has to be getting a bit "old".

How do you all sleep? Does your pain affect you the same way as mine? I'd love to hear how the rest of you handle this. Thanks and God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: How Many Hours Of Sleep Do You Get Each Night???

CMP we are in the same boat. I try not to nap at all during the day but there are days where I just need an hour nap to recover. I am exhausted. If I sleep more than 5 hours at a stretch guaranteed I will wake up vomiting from pain.

I am sorry that you are going thru this right now. I truly believe it is part of being a cper. (((Hugs)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Lately, very little.

The pain in my left arm is starting to affect this area of my life too. I really need to get more sleep. Even w/o the arm pain the sleep has been poor. I'm just carrying such a load, compared to earlier times in my life. And, no, I'm not talking about constipation...

Many of you have much worse pain than I do, but for me this arm thing has become a bit overwhelming. And when something starts stealing my sleep it's time to act.

I'm really sorry MM and Pepper, that your sleep has been so affected.

So I declare right now, wherever you are - IT'S NAP TIME!

Everyone on your mats. 30 minutes. Keeps your heads down, now. No cheating...

Guess I better get back to training...

steve

Last edited by forginon; 08-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

cherish1 HB User

If I take my Ambien, I will usually sleep from 2am to 8:30 am or so, so that is 6.5 hours of sleep? I usually take the Ambien and Soma at the same time, and it helps me fall asleep. If I take the Ambien too early, then I often 'power through it" and don't realize it, and then I can't fall asleep at all. If I took no sleep aid, I probably would regularly fall asleep around 4 am or later.

I do wake up extremely stiff and in extra pain, but if I don't get sleep, I am in even greater pain. For me, lack of sleep causes more pain than sleeping too long. We also have a great mattress made by Jamison - the new Marriott hotels upgraded to it. It is amazing. A regular mattress, but so comfy. I'm happy because I am able to sleep with hubby, although I go to bed many hours after he does. lol

On really really bad nights, I will have to get back up and sleep in my recliner. Since I have had an increase in pain meds, I haven't had to do that as often. But, if I do a lot anyone day (beyond sitting in my recliner and light housekeeping), I can almost guarantee the chair at night.

Cheri
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I was sleeping 12-14 hours a night while I was out on STD. I would sleep 12 hours and get up and still be tired the rest of the day. Now, since I changed meds on Monday I am sleeping 8-9 hours and not as tired and fatigued during the day which is great. I hated sleeping that long and STILL being tired. I feel like I can actually participate in life now. My depression is also starting to lift as well. However, I am still waiting for the results of my testosterone test which could be contributing factor to the remaining fatigure, tiredness, and depression.

brian

Old 08-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

CMP, I am very tired during the day too, very tired all the time.
I can sleep 12 hours but only if meds induced and not always; all depends on pain. Sometimes sleeping pills don't do the justice due to pain.

Many-many nights I read all night, watch TV or do some Internet research, or do puzzles - whatever I am in a mood for at that time.
This means some nights 12 hours, some nights no sleep. I always say that I don't let pain control my life, but not much I can do at night: it does controls my nights.

I remember times when kids were young my dream was when they grow up - I can sleep as much as I wish. Well, they grew up, but now different problems keep me awake.

I wish you all a good night sleep, sleep tight this night!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Fortunately, I am able to sleep 8-9 hours a night with the help of Ambien. This is really good, because I usually feel the best when I wake up in the morning and am still lying in bed. I have a good pillow and a decent mattress. I would ever be able to fall asleep without the Ambien, though. I am in too much pain at night to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. Most nights, the Ambien kind of overrides the pain, and I am able to fall asleep. I guess I should count my lucky stars on this one.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I generally don't have any difficulty falling asleep. There are some nights when I am stressed or anxious and I will usually take a Xanax before bed. My psych gave me Klonpin as well, when I was going through a high stress period a while ago, but for the very reason that he Rx'd it, I couldn't take it. The longer half life let me to sleep a full 8 or 9 hours but I was downright sick from the pain when I woke up. I always take my last LA and Soma right before I go to bed, so I don't think it is a w/d issue.

I've tried taking my meds while I'm still in bed, but what will usually happen is that I'll fall back to sleep and not wake up for several more hours. This just makes me extremely cranky for the rest of the day. Sleeping half the day away was fine 25 years ago, but not anymore.

The worst of my pain, when this happens, is at all the "pressure points" you get with a standard inner-spring mattress, so the next step is a Tempur-Pedic bed. I want the deluxe model (of course) so it's taking a little bit to save up the pennies. (We don't do credit cards, unless it's an emergency) We've almost been there a couple of times, but some unexpected car, home or vet expense has blown our fund. Oh well..........

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess it's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only one sitting at the computer at 3:00 a.m. But I seriously am sorry that any of us has to go through this. Oh, the life of a CPer!

I hope everyone has a better night tonight. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

On a good night I manage about 6 hours, on a bad night sometimes as little as 2 or 3. I've got a tempurpedic and since aquiring that I hit 6 more often than 2 or 3. Before the new bed 4 was usually the most I'd get. I'm currently only take pain meds during the day, and I need to talk to the Dr. about that when I see her in Sept. Tylenol and benadryl just aren't enough for me to get a good nights sleep. Sleeping better would lower my pain levels during the day.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

My Pm just ask me that & fool that I am put down 6 hrs, but that when I am exhausted, most nights rolling on my shoulders wake me up so I would say 6hrs of broken sleep. good question. Would be nice to have a great night sleep. I stayed the night with my friends & they gave me their waterbed to see if the heat would help me, nope, but I must say I felt cozy when I managed to sleep. I know I keep my husbund up alot & I feel bad, but his snoring keeps me up to,so neither of us are jumping for joy in the morning, lol. I am calling his doctor for a script, he just dont know it yet. Taek care my friend. Sammy

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

If I'm lucky I get 4 hrs sleep a night and most of the times an afternoon nap. Fortunately, I'm unable to work so the afternoon nap helps. On bad nights, I may sleep 2 hrs and wake up or if I'm in alot of pain, I wake up every hr on the hr. I suffer from severe nerve damage in my left shoulder and I can only sleep on one side. Sometimes, I may get lucky and can position my arm just right so I can sleep on my stomache. This is rare due to my left arm being locked in a premenant position where my left hand touches my left shoulder. Also at times when the other shoulder hurts to bad, I have to sleep on the other side but sometimes it bothers my neck. I have to sleep with 2 pillows because I can't lay my head directly on my arm. So I have to put a pillow in between my arm and my head.

Closed Thread