It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
very bad PM appointment - so upset

I saw my surgeon last week, and he wanted me to get a second opinion from another PM doctor that he works with. I went today and it was the biggest waste of my time I have experienced in months. I left feeling even more jaded about the medical community. The guy basically told me that it's all in my head. He reiterated a number of times that "there is nothing wrong with me" because my x-ray was normal. He also continued to bring up my history of depression, and said I need cognitive behavioral treatment. I specifically told him that I was sleeping okay, and then he dictated that I was having sleep problems. He does not believe in prescribing any narcotics, and basically had a "deal with it" attitude. In fact, he asked me what medications I was on, and when I told him Soma, he said, "so what-are you going to just keep taking that?" like he was baffled by it. I was just sobbing the whole time. He said if I really had something wrong with my neck, I would be having arm and hand symptoms.

I just cried all the way home, and of course I got caught in rush hour traffic, too. I am definitely not going back to this guy, and I am going to tell my surgeon (who referred me) that I had a terrible experience.

Luckily, I have an appointment with my regular PM doctor tomorrow, and am going to try to work with them. I am going to ask to go on a long-acting med, hopefully OxyContin. Right now I am just on a roller coaster with my pain all day. Watching the clock, planning my entire day around when I can take my meds, it's just ridiculous. I hope they don't think I am drug-seeking, but I have to ask about it, because I can't do this anymore.

Sorry to ramble. I'd love to hear your words of encouragement....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
(female)

cherish1 HB User
Re: very bad PM appointment - so upset

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Hope your appointment with your regular PM doc goes well.

( ( HUGS) )

Cheri
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

OMG....How horrible!
I hope you can get the help you need and this guy will get "his."
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Dont give up...there are good docs out there.
Again, Im so sorry.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

That is really awful - people with no empathy have no business in the medical field much less pain management - go back to your other pm and hopefully he will put you back on your oxycontin - if not, find another doc - do not worry about sounding like you are drug seeking - my doc told me one time if a doc wants to think someone is drug seeking he will and nothing you say or do can change it so just speak up and tell him how you feel - meanwhile you are in my thoughts and prayers
huggs Aver

Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

puppybreath HB User

This guy is a total jerk!! I have had to many experiences like that and I want to scream sometimes. They think they have the world at their fingertips and practice on a whim sometimes. It really stinks!!! I know this might not help, but you're not alone and I'm sending good vibes to you!!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I'm so sorry. I saw a doc like that once and my blood still boils when I think about it, several years after. You should absolutely tell your surgeon and your regular PM what happened. Let them know how degraded this tool made you feel. I would even go so far as to say something like "All I know is that I am in so much pain all the time that I have no quality of life anymore. And all I'm asking is for someone to have the kindness to help me get at least some of my life back!"

I know you're really discouraged right now, but as Izzy said, there are good docs out there. I hope your current PM steps up and becomes one of them.Take care and try to get some rest. I'll be praying for you. Let us know when you talk to your docs, OK? Gentle Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Wow! I am sorry to hear you had this experience. How awful.

I had an experience once like that too.

After having my car accident and being aske to go to PM again, i was skeptical of going all the way to see the one I had beore (45 min one through the mountains.) So I tried a different one suggested by my attorney.

This gur freaked on me because I was on narcotic pain meds and I am a recovering addic alcoholic (my drug of choice was street speed) anyway he dictated in his stupid recorder the whole time and fished my sentences fir me. He put me on Fentenyl patch withc aused me to have an itcing reaxtion so I took it off and decided to go back to the old PM. The big kicker is when I saw the bad PM he was had orderes I had dropped of the day before to do a Cervical transforaminal ESI. Well never having one before I said sure when he said he could do it right then. I was desperate to feel better. When He was finished I said what level did you do because it felt really low. He said C-7 and T-1. I freaked and said that was not what my neuro ordered.

I am so sorry this has happened. I never went back to this guy ever again and almost reported him to the Board because of it.

If I were you I would not continue to see this guy if at all possible.
I will be praying for you.....((((soft hugs))))))

Chrissy

Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Thank you for all your kind words. I woke up thinking about this appointment this morning, which is really frustrating because normally my mornings are my least stressful time. Anyway, this morning I am going to fax a letter revoking my consent to release any medical records from this guy. He asked me at the beginning of the appointment if it was okay if he sent a report to my surgeon, my current PM, and my PCP. I think he was actually kind of cruel to me, and I don't want his report being a part of my medical record at every single place I go forever. I hope they obey the law and don't send the reports. Then I am going to ask my surgeon why he sent me to him, knowing what he would say. That I think is cruel, too. Anyway, I'm rambling. It's too early for this! Thank again!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

This guy is a Jerk. How dare he tell you in one visit that this is in your head. I have news for this guy I had pain for 3yrs & just recently started to effect my arms & hands.To boot not enough would show up in any test to confirm exactly what was going on. HE does not believe in narcotics so I am sure that is why he wants you to think its in your head.I would like to ask this jerk just how many pateints he has & how the heck he treats their everyday pain?
Lets face it pain like most of us have requires narcotics, we dont want them but we do not have a choice. I dont blame you for not wanting him to have anything to do with your records & I would be asking your doctor who sent you there why he would subject you to such cruel treatment. I am sick of these doctors who are clueless & would love to have them step into our shoes for one day. I am not telling you to do this but if it were me I would go back to the doctor who referred you & let him know if I thought for one fraction of a second that it was in my head I would be running for help. Anything to get rid of the pain. you know all these posts from poor people like you give me courage to stand up to doctors, so thank you.
We are not the only ones that have pain & tests are not pinpointing the problem right away so dont worry about that. You just keep looking & meantime go to who ever is willing to at least make the effort to give you some pain control. I feel extremely bad for you & will keep you in my prayers. This doctor is in the wrong profeesion with that kind of attitude, what did he give you 30 minutes or so? Take care & know we are here for you. Sammy

Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I heart aches heavily for you. I have received poor treatment but so far no one has told me it was in my head. PRAISE GOD. I am so sorry this happened to you and pray that this mess can be straightened out and that you can receive the pm care that you deserve.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

UPDATE: I saw my regular PM yesterday, and she agreed to put me on a long-acting drug, and keep me at the same amount of Vicodin for break-through pain. What a relief!!!!! Oh my gosh, I will start the LA drug today, and I woke up this morning feeling more optimistic than I have felt in about 6 months. I will be trying the drug Kadian, which is a fancy form of LA morphine. My doc really emphasized that I could just call and she would increase my Kadian if need be and I could just come in and pick up the script. I can barely believe it. I thought I would be fighting for the rest of my life to get someone to listen to me. You probably know how it is when your pain is not being treated...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Toonces,

Amen! Amen! and a Hallelujah thrown in for good measure! I am so glad that your doc came through for you!

I don't really know much about the Kaidan personally, but I have heard here on the boards that some who have tried it, are happy with the results. Just the idea that you will have something more to help has to be a wonderful feeling. We all know how stress and uncertainty can add to our pain.

Please let us know how it is going. I would assume, like most new meds, this will take a little time to reach full potential, but I'm sure you will see some difference with the first dose. I believe it can only get better from there.

Congratulations! It's been a long time coming and you deserve it. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Toones,

I just stumbled across your post and read about all the troubles you've been having with getting your pain adequately treated and the jerk you saw.I seem to have seen at least 5 or 6 doctors with similar attitudes since my accident. So few drs. have good training in pain management [sounds like he lack training in patient/people skills as well]. Very glad you finally got some help and that you're starting Kadian -- I took it once before I discovered the deductible - Hope you're taking 2x/day - like many LAs, you can supposedly take it less often, but usually works best if it's taken 2x rather than 1x. Anyway, I liked it a lot better than generic morphine. I just couldn't pay for it.

Just very happy that you will be getting relief soon! Think you did the right thing by trying to shut off access to the records from that dr. and by talking about your referral experience w/ your doctor.

You have every reason to feel optimistic!

Last edited by Confused089; 08-15-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thank goodness! It makes so much difference when we know that we have hope of having more pain control in our daily lives & I am so happy for you. I hope this works well & you have some better days. Let us know how it goes, I am curious to see how it works with you. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread