It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User
Unhappy Not treated at all with MRI proof?? Help

Over 15 months ago I fell and hurt my back. I have had three MRI reports that show central herniated disc. I have gone through numerous nerve shots, spinal taps. I moved to another state to be with my daughter as the pain I have was making it impossible to work. I was assigned a new pain management doctor and a new Neurologist. I was immediately taken to do another MRI which showed the same. The pain management doctor this is what he says. This doctor has never looked at a MRI film, did not see me for the first time after 1 year of the injury. His diagnosis and was and has stayed through the last 6 months that I am faking and there is nothing wrong with me.

I am now on absolutely no meds, taking a FCE test. He still says I am totally making this up. The last report he said he believed I had a lumbar strain, and that 75% of people have central herniated disc with no pain.

All I know is that yes I used to never have any pain, in my lower back. Now I can't stand for long, can't lay down for long and am having to continue to change positions.

My question is how do you handle this situation, this is a WC case and my fight for some relief has been unreal.

The Nuerologist said it was my dicision on the surgery, they can't guarantee any kind of relief and it could possible be worse. The surgery would be Anterior Lumbar Interdiscfusion. Which is major and I am not sure I want to undertake this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation. I am in so much pain, I went from having a pain management center that had me on meds and shots every two weeks to being told to take tylenol.

Please help someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Not treated at all with MRI proof?? Help

Hi Pokerck, First, welcome to the board. I'm sorry for the reason you had to find us, but you've found an excellent place for support and information.

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. Unfortunately, this board has seen far too many people who have been in very similar situations. To me, it has to be one of the most cruel things a "physician" can do to a patient.

That being said, the one thing that comes to mind is to do as much research as possible to find a new PM doctor. In the mean-time, maybe you could call your previous PM in your old state, and ask if he/she could write a letter, explaining his/her diagnosis and treatment of/for your condition. Something stating that it is his/her opinion that you have legitimate, chronic pain.

I'm really not well-versed in anything having to do with W/C, so I don't know if they could help you find a different doctor. But, if it is something they can do, I don't think it would be unwise to ask them for assistance.

I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions. I hope it helps a little bit. Please know that I feel for you and will keep you in my prayers, if that is something that you are comfortable with. Please try to hang in there. I know there are others who have much more knowledge of this than I do, that I'm sure will chime in. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I feel that W/C is the one who tells me where to go. I don't have much of a choice. So here I have been assigned a Pain Doctor - who by the way is not board certified and used to be an anathesiologist (I know that is not spelt right). Has never looked at an MRI report and says in his report that the Neurosurgeon does not know what he is talking about. W/C is going with what he says not the surgeon cause then they don't have to do anything. I just really don't know how long I can go on with this pain and absolutely no relief. I just wonder has anyone ever had to deal with the central herniated disc?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I have multiple disc issues. At last MRI, I have 9 discs that range from moderate bulge to mild to moderate herniation, which can be very confusing in it's terminology. The words bulging and herniated are often used interchangeably, even by physicians.

It has been explained to me that if a disc is considered bulging, there is no tear in the anulus. (this is the outer covering of the disc) If it is considered herniated, there would be be a tear or tears in the anulus where there would be some leakage of the nucleus. Then, there is rupture, which means that the disc is completely blown and the nucleus that provides cushioning between discs has "spilled" out and the disc is flat.

I'm not sure what exactly a central herniated disc is, though. Is this another term for a ruptured disc? If so, then I can't understand how this doctor could see your films and say you were faking! That's just horrible! Isn't there some way you could see a different doc? Is there some way to appeal W/C?

Again, I'm so sorry you are being put through this. I know there are others here, who might be on later, who can help you more. Please keep posting and checking. God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi, I am a fellow spinney too. I would demand to see a spinal surgeon. They are an orthopedic doctor with additional training of at least 2 years speciality training in spinal surgery. From what I have read w/c wants to go the easy route and many people on the spine board actually have lawyers to deal with w/c or they simply do not get anywhere.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi,
I am also a spinney and my case is a W/C case. If you haven't already done so please review carefully the W/C laws in your state. You are entitled to see another physician and you can pick your own doctor from a list of W/C approved doctors. They can't MAKE you see just one doctor...they have to give you a choice. That's the way it is in my state. I also agree with Pepper..if you don't feel comfortable with your care get a lawyer to fight for you. Most W/C lawyers will give you a free consultation appt to discuss your case and then you can decide if you want to use their services. And the 75% with no pain....well that is great and obviously you are the other 25%, so someone needs to help control your pain. I feel really bad for you...not only do you have pain but then we have to "fight" the system of W/C.

Deb

Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I don't know much about WC cases but I do know that they usually want to get the cases resolved quickly and as cheaply as possible. Is it possible that you could go see a physician or do you already have a primary care physician? I would go see one and explain the situation and ask for some type of pain relief. Many physicians are willing to give pain meds.

brian

Old 08-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Welcome to this board, we are very happy to have you here.
I am very sorry that this happened to you, I know how painful this is.
Spinal surgery is a very major surgery. I was told many times that Brain and spinal fusions are the most serious surgeries.
That is why before you go for one make sure you tried everything available to you. I mean shots (for some it can be very helpful, not for me though), Physical therapy, water excercises, accupancture, massages, etc.

And also very important to have every test available to make sure your dx is right. MRI, CT, Discogramm (the most accurate on out there), Myelograms -they all are created to have the right dx.
And also your DR has to be ORTHO with specializing in Spinal surgery (fellowship in spinal surgeries). This is very important. And even if you liked him and heared his opinion, than take all reports, all MRI (etc.) go and see another opinion. This is cruitial, trust me. I am in spinal ordeal for more than 3 years by now and had 2 spinal multi-levels fusions with a lots of other work done. And one thing I learned how important second/third opinions are.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Poker,
Welcome to the board.

I am so sorry for your pain and suffering.
I was on workers comp for an injury to my arm and had to be very persistent to get what I needed. I remember being on the phone pestering these people 8 times a day right after the injury forst happened.

First of all I would like to say that deb posted exactly the same thing I was going to say.
\
Workers comp insurance works much the same as personal insurance. Now different states are set up a bit differently for sure but there are options for you.

One of the things that I did when they sent me to a dr. that I heard thorugh the grapevine was not so godd is i got right on the phone and flat out asked what doctors ...in my case hand surgeons...were on thire list of doctors I could see. I then asked for my refoerral to be sent to a particular doc off their list. This works much the same a your regular health insurance. You choose a doc from the group of docs with in the network for you Ins. company.
Second thing I would do if in your shoes is go have a free consultaion with a lawery who specializes in workers comp cases. Before divugin any information about your case it is important to ask the lawyers office if they work for the carrier your copany has for workers comp insurance. Meaning the lawyers office would actully be representing the INsurance company. they could not represent you if they represent you workers comp insurance. SO find one that will not be a conflict.

Lucky for me right through the gate I was very persistent and investigated some things and in the end I never had to get a lawyer.

I hope all this information helps you. Oh something else you should know. After requesting all of my documents from the workers comp carrier I researched through them and found some interesting information. I found the workers comp insurance had an investgator follow me and watch me for about 3 days. These days were random and not in a row. Now I had obeyed all doctors orders to the T, so be mindful to everything by the book. If they say don;t lift over a gallon of milk don' do it. If they say don't drove do not do it. If they say not to work anywhere don't do it because you could default any care or settlements you would normally entiteled to.

Please hang in there. There are so many helpful and supportive people here. We do it together and I swear without my friends here I would really be lost and without support. I only have a minimal amount of support outside this board.

Chrissy

Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerck1959 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. I feel that W/C is the one who tells me where to go. I don't have much of a choice. So here I have been assigned a Pain Doctor - who by the way is not board certified and used to be an anathesiologist (I know that is not spelt right). Has never looked at an MRI report and says in his report that the Neurosurgeon does not know what he is talking about. W/C is going with what he says not the surgeon cause then they don't have to do anything. I just really don't know how long I can go on with this pain and absolutely no relief. I just wonder has anyone ever had to deal with the central herniated disc?
Hi Poker,
Welcome to the board. Since you also have back issues along with spine issues, you might want to consider posting on both boards.
To answer your question, a central herniation is the most serious of the types of herniations there are. If the herniation is large enough or your spinal canal is small enough, it can cause Cauda Equina Syndrome by pressing back on the spinal nerves and compressing them. You can learn more about that stuff on the back board here in Healthboards.
As far as your PM goes, contact your WC carrier and ask them to give you a list of names of other PM's and then pick one that you want to go see. I believe in most states they have to allow you to at least see one other doctor outside of those they send you to..
You might also want to see either a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon who may also be able to recommend a good PM in your area to help you manage your pain a lot better than what is being done now. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this......
Sandi M

Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User

I really apologize for the long time in responding but I have to walk down stairs to the computer and I have not felt up to it for the last few days. thank you for your help, unfortuanately I can't change without W/C approving it and so far with the PM doctor they are sending me to - I think I am just pretty much screwed (excuse the phrase) I am so down and depressed about this, I had no idea back pain can be so chronic I guess the only word I can find. I go to the nueorosurgeon at 1:15pm and and once again taking my MRI reports and the FCE and the stupid report from this Dr. Graham.

I think right now I just need prayers that I don't completely lose it.

thanks again

ck

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User

Chrissy thanks, I will ask for the W/C files. I know that they have been following me, my grandson has taken said -- look Grammy that man istaking your picture from that van-- So how many times and how much Idon't know. I do have a really good attorney and hopefully we won't even have to go that route but this is 16 months in the working.

thanks everyone.

ck

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User

Oh yes I have had the discogram, MRIover and over. I think W/C thought it would change. Also I had a procedure done it was called Plasma Disc Decompression, this was done after the diskogram. It did not good. I am not where my legs are hurting so much. Also I did have the nerve test but it showed no nerves are affected - My new Neurosurgeon says that is normal for this type of injury, so I feel this appointment is for when the jury is out.

Thanks so much all
ck

Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
(female)

pokerck1959 HB User

A central herniated disc is where thedisc has ruptured on the inside. There is no bulging, or leaking at first but the leaking can happen. Right now I have three and they are right there by my tail bone. The pain is unbearable when staning for any lenght of time, sitting for more that 10 minutes, and also laying down. So sleeping only in 1 to 1.5 hours at a time, I have to change positions. So we pray, and I hope that Idon't get any more depressed and discouraged as I am right now.

thanks everyone ck

Closed Thread