It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Cool Finally

This doctor I saw today - came up to me and hugged me. She also apologized for all that I have gone thru. She had pre-read my chart and saw what I was going thru. She upped my oxycontin up to 30 mg x 3 per day and in two weeks will be reviewing my case. She suspects I will need to go to 40 mg x 3 a day for pain. She said based up my pain levels she would move me straight up to 120 mg if I was in the hospital but it would be to large of a jump at home.

She told me I need to live and deserve to live without pain. I think I have gone to heaven because someone finally thinks my pain needs to be treated. Oh my!!

This was intersting -- Exec and Steve - she believes that I should not be using percocet - she told me that she would prefer I use another 10 mg. of oxycontin. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

She also believes that NO pm patient should have to go to the ER. She feels that patients generally are treated like drug seekers and that it is a sign that the physician is not doing their job.

Also, she upped my cymbalta to 60 mg. and plans to titrate me up to 120 mg. per day. For nerve pain, the dosage should be at least 120 mg per day. Also I was told that one should take this med during the day and not at night because it will keep you awake. And guess who has been taking it at night time?

Oh, she loved my preparation work and could not believe how much info I had for her. She said I was a dream patient.

Anyway, I think FINALLY I am in good hands. You have been so helpful and supportive getting me to this point and I want you to know how much I appreciate it and that I promise to not vent so much in the future. Love ya.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-11-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Finally

Ohhh Pepper,

I'm sooooo happy for you!!!!! It sounds like your doc will take GREAT care of you! I'm also fortunate enough to have a wonderful PM doc.....I couldn't ask for anybody better. I know you must be on cloud 9 right now. It just goes to show that there really are GREAT docs out there that honestly care about their patients, their pain, and their quality of lives. It's about time things got better for you! Bye for now.

Shay

Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Shay -- I keep smiling because I have been in so much pain for so long and no one would do anything. Finally, someone is listening to me. I told her that all I want to do is live and right now I can't do much because of the pain including going on a car ride. I went an hour in the car and I was shaking because of the pain it was so bad.

She did say if I do not respond to 120 mg pain relief that she would move me to methadone.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You are right: finally!!!!

So happy for you; so happy you will have a PM Dr now and she will take care about your needs. This is so important, sweet heart!

I realized yesterday that I have left ( Oxy and Percocet) for not more than one week only.
Usualy I have to go and see my PM every month; we talk, discuss my issues, and than I get my prescriptions. Last time I told him that this a tad physically hard for me to travel every month to see him and very costly too (even though it takes a little more than one hour, but all the bridges, tolls, gasoline...) so he agreed on seeing me every 2 month.

I called him today and said that I have left meds for one week only, can they fax prescription to my pharmacy and hard copy by mail.
No problems at all. He knows me for 3 years by now and we established such trusted relationships. This means so much to me; nice to know that I am under care of such great Dr.
I wish you, sweetie, to have same experience. You had enough of neglect and ignorance. You deserve much attention and carrying love...

Best wishes...

Old 08-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Oh diet I am so happy for you. Thankfully there is a God who listened !!.
I bet you are know saying to yourself why did I have to wait so long for this.
I am so happy for you, and of course the family. You can tell the kids that you will be able to do more homeschooling hours !

Oh diet I am so happy......................Round1

Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Pepper,

I think I just dreamed that you had a miracle meeting with the new PM. I so wish this had been real.

PEPPER! Jeannette! Diet! Whatever!

YES! YES! YES!

Now, two things:

• When will you get the script?

• Do not, I repeat DO NOT say or do anything to or with anyone that indicates this is too much meds, or that you are afraid to take it. GOT THAT? Don't do it. Take your medicine and keep these thoughts deep within.

YES! YES! YES!

You have now finally seen a professional PM doc. How does it feel?

Pepper - if your GP has to do the scripting - get on him and don't let go until you have the script(s) in hand. Send your husband to sit on the guy until he delivers.

One last thing - please send the PM doc a very nice thank you letter for caring.

steve

Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Steve, Great idea - I will send her a thank you note. She definitely deserves that. I almost feel like I am dreaming. I was like 120 mg.!! Geez do you know -- yeah you do know because I have been whinning for months -- how long it has taken me to get this far.

She actually wrote the scripts out today, carried them to the pharmacy herself, and had me fill them immediately. She had me start the increase today. She will be phoning me in 2 weeks to review everything and make a decision whether or not to increase the meds again. She gave me her cell number and told me to call 24/7 if anything started going weird. She gave me her email and told me to send non-emergency questions to that. So I have started today.

Now, I pray my gp doesn't get upset at her doing this. I told her that I was worried about this and she said, I will handle him and typed a message to him right there and read the message to me. It was basically like. I met with sweet Ms. Pepper today and immediately increased her meds to 90 mg and will see her in two weeks and I suspect I will again increase her meds to 120 mg. at that point. I will keep you posted as I change things and will turn her over when things are stabilized.

What do you think about the percocet comment and saying take an extra 10 mg of oxy instead?

I Jeanette, Pepper, Whatever, promise to hereby promise to never say anything about that this is to much meds (Steve, I told her this morning -- don't hit me -- that this seems like a lot -- her response was would you rather live the way that you have been? -- they key is not the mg. it is the relief that you receive - if it were insulin, no one would say anything - this is the same thing - you have a chronic condition and need the medicine - so NO it is not to much and I am not suprised that you would say this because you have clearly have not had pain addressed in months.) She was the craziest doctor I have seen but oh, soooooo caring. I am in heaven and just pray that this all works out for me.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Round1, yes there is a GOD and a wonderful pm doc who I mean't she made me feel so much better about myself. The fact that she admitted to me I have been waaaaaaay over due for a med increase was a miracle. I think with all the prayers I had from this board and support, the LORD led me to her. I owe it to you all.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova, dear, you and everyone on this board kept telling me there are good pm docs out there you just have to keep looking. I firmly believe going to the ER grabbed the attention of my GP and HMO.

Thank you dear for all your support. As I have told you before, you mean the world to me.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Pepper,

Good for you.

Before today you were taking 60mg daily? Sorry if I've forgotten - you know what they say about the memory? So now she's taken you to 90mg daily, 30mg three time per day, right. And she is guessing you'll need to go to 40mg three times per day? I think she's right on top of things, and not at all thinking excessively. She sounds very much like my PM doc.

Keep up the pain diary so you can relay your average daily pain score to her. And in two weeks if you are not averaging 5 daily, then go with the increase. You can always back down if needed, but as you know it can be very hard to get increases.

About the Percocet - you need to know this is an exceptional PM doc. She wants to see you achieve pain relief with LA meds to whatever extent possible. That's the right way to manage pain. And, it is the best way to control tolerance. When I was on Methadone, my PM doc actually prescribed Methadone for BT as well, the LA was pills and the BT was a syrup - so she had me using the same med for both kinds of pain. It doesn't surprise me that your doc is doing the same. I think she looks at this practically, as most patients tend to use the full allotment of BT meds on a daily basis, so for many there really is no unique BT med in their regime. And this also help the doc to see where you are headed. If you are requiring the extra OC, then she may well just add it to your LA schedule and add another one for BT. I know this may sound like an automatic method of never-ending dose increases, but if the patient is honest and only uses the "BT" OC when needed, then it won't get out of control.

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.

This makes my whole month Jeanette. Praise God.

steve

Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yes I was raised to 60 mg 14 days ago and she has now moved me to 90 mg. She said based on my pain levels she anticipates that I really need to be at 120 mg. per day. She bases this on the fact that I do not get pain relief for almost two hours after the oxy has been taken and it drops me only to a 5. To her that shows that my dose is way too low. She also stated that she wants me to see 2/3's on the pain scale so that I can begin reclaiming my life.

Yes, she wants the pain diary to continue until I am stabilized.

I will do whatever she recommends concerning meds because she obviously knows what she is doing. If she thinks, I need an increase I will do it and you are right I can always go down. I will do as directed because well to be honest this is the first time someone has been willing to treat me.

I am shocked that she included me on her thoughts out in the future. Is this normal for a doctor to do this? She is just so different than any doctor I have run into.

Lastly she reassured me that she believes my pain - it does not take a rocket scientist when you see me - it is written on my face. I was in such disbelief to have this compassion that according to my hubby she asked him directly about whether I would be willing to take shots. I missed this entire part of the conversation. I must have been still in shock about the dosage increase. I don't know what she mean't about it. Do docs put patients on injections at home for pain?

Last edited by ms_west; 08-11-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

This is great new Pepper. Sorry I wasn't on-line earlier today...Didn't feel very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post

She actually wrote the scripts out today, carried them to the pharmacy herself, and had me fill them immediately. She had me start the increase today. She will be phoning me in 2 weeks to review everything and make a decision whether or not to increase the meds again.
What happened to your GP being "very firm" about nothing changing until Sept? I assume he's on board with this, right? Just curious.

Quote:

She gave me her cell number and told me to call 24/7 if anything started going weird. She gave me her email and told me to send non-emergency questions to that. So I have started today.
Sounds like a very caring and compassionate Doc! Too bad she can't be your new PM Doc. I know you've got that screwy HMO.....But, is there any way around it? I wonder if it's not worth some minor investigating? What if the next time you spoke with her, if you could ask her if there is any way around it....Sometimes those on the "inside" know the different tactics and loopholes.

Quote:

What do you think about the percocet comment and saying take an extra 10 mg of oxy instead?
I'm not sure I understand what she said / meant. Did she say she didn't want you using any BT meds?

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepp honey, I am so happy! You made my day! I've been out all day w/hubby (he's on vaca this week) and I knew you had this appointment today and was wondering all day how it went.

Amen! Amen! Amen! As Steve said, this is what it's like to have a fantastic PM doc, who cares and understands what chronic pain does to a person. She is a credit to her oath! You asked in your last post about her thinking ahead, where your care was concerned, and if this is normal. Yes! Yes! Yes! The sad part is that what you've experienced up to now is more the norm than it should ever be. I wish all PM docs had this kind of understanding and compassion. I am blessed to be one of the lucky ones, so it's been hard watching you and so many others go through what you have.

I am so relieved and happy right now. I've had a big smile on my face the whole time I've been in this thread! So it's perfectly understandable that you've been smiling all day. God Bless, sweetie. Here's a big congrats hug!

(((((Pepper/Jeanette))))) CMP/MM/Mary Margaret

Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Pepper, Oh what wonderful news! I cant wait to see how your days go.
Boy was this doctor right, you were way overdue, 2 & 3s, wow. I am so excited for you. I am going to take my que from you my next follow up.
you go girl, (just go kind of slow at first,lol). I will be looking for updates to see how it goes, once again I am thrilled for you. God bless, Sammy

Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
This is great new Pepper. Sorry I wasn't on-line earlier today...Didn't feel very well.

I am sorry and hope you feel more like yourself soon.

What happened to your GP being "very firm" about nothing changing until Sept? I assume he's on board with this, right? Just curious.

I don't know when I brought it up to her she said let me handle your GP if you have a problem. Hopefully I won't be in trouble. I guess the worst case scenario he might not write my scripts again.

Sounds like a very caring and compassionate Doc! Too bad she can't be your new PM Doc. I know you've got that screwy HMO.....But, is there any way around it? I wonder if it's not worth some minor investigating? What if the next time you spoke with her, if you could ask her if there is any way around it....Sometimes those on the "inside" know the different tactics and loopholes.

Hubby and I have talked about this and we plan on talking directly to her about taking over my care. Hubby also says if my gp gives me problems we will ask her to arrange for a doctor to write my scripts if she can't do it. We both feel now that my gp has not managed my care well at all.

I'm not sure I understand what she said / meant. Did she say she didn't want you using any BT meds?

Sorry if I was not clear. She does not want me using the percocet breakthru meds. She would prefer if it was absolutely necessary for a breakthru to take an extra 10 mg. of oxycontin. She gave me plenty extra 10 mg. oxycontins to use if needed them for breakthru

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by ms_west; 08-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Closed Thread