It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Megan51 HB User
neurontin for nerve/back pain

3 years ago I had unsuccessful back surgery (emergency) leaving nerve damage, pressure and electric shocks every evening - night. I took neurontin for 1 year and weened off because it took away my short memory and made my arms numb! I tried several other drugs and due to my extreme drug sensitivity, I only use 50-100mg Darvocet once at night. But that isn't good for my liver right? So, please tell me in layman's terms, WHY CAN I NOT TAKE NEURONTIN "as needed"? Will it hurt me to do this? Will my heart or brain suffer? I've only been told, 'it isn't meant to be taken that way." But I would like to know why.

Last edited by Megan51; 08-15-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: neurontin for nerve/back pain

Hi Megan

I was Neurontin for 7 months and i was told it is really for epilepsy and it carn't be taken 'as and when' as it takes time for it to build up in your system.

It hasn't helped with my nerve pain and am now trying Lyrica but i am still not getting any relief.

I know it sounds crazy but i seem to immune to any tablets i try!

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Megan,

I take Neurontin for BiPolar Disorder, 900mg at night, and allowed to take 100 to 300mg prn during the day as needed for stress or anxiety, this all prescribed by my Psychiatrist who manages all my BP meds of which there are 5 more.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Neurontin can't help you if you take it only as needed.
It has to accumulate in your body to certain levels to start working, it's not a Tylenol or Advil.
Plus it can work only when doses is constantly adjusted. You can't stay long on one dose, your body adjusts to it and stops working. Usually PM watching you and when this starts, he brings your levels to a higher dose.
Neuronting is a pretty strong meds for Nerve pain and it's used widely for this matter. Lurica is less potent, it's been on a Market for a short time and in many cases considered as experimental.
I beein on both and Lurica did not help me even a bit. Neurontin is a good drug, but unfortunately when they went to high up I got allergic reaction.

Closed Thread