It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

Fusion2000 HB User
Hi, a little about me. New here

A pleasure to meet all of you fellow suffers. A little about myself; I a a 44 year old woman with two wonderful children (21 and 25) and a supporting, doting husband that his taken very good care of me over the last 8 years since my first double fusion on my lower back. In 2000 I had two herniated discs at s1-L5 and L5-L4 which were taken care of. Went two years without any leg pain and then boom it happened! The pain returned and I was forced to go through another back surgery where my Neuro fused L4-L3. But 6 months after the surgery I was having leg pain once more and my surgeon decided after tests that L4-L3 was unstable and did not fully fuse. So revision in 2004 left me with horrible leg pain and back pain that I have been dealing with for the last 4 years. Been seeing a great PM doc that has been quite active in my medication control.

But today I had an appointment and found out that a recent Mylo shows that some nerves close to my spinal canal are narrowing and that all the meds in the world are not going to help me. So with that he is putting me in for a Stimulator as well as placing me on Celebrex, Topamax as well as a topical cream to help lower the inflammation in my lower back (or try to) but he says that there is a chance that this will not work and that the Stimulator will be my only chance for a half way normal life.

Anyway just wanted to say hi and that I hope to post to each of you in the future days.

Scarred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Hi, a little about me. New here

Welcome to the boards! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Many regular posters here have a variety of back issues, so I'm quite confident you will find many a resource for you.

Take care, I hope to talk to you soon.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

Fusion2000 HB User

Thank you so much Ex. It's funny how we look to others that are in our same situation for answers and support when most of our friends and family do not understand what we are going through. I am blessed as I have a husband that helps me through the good days and the bad with ample support and encouraging words. He is there at every appointment......takes me to my tests (had a Mylo two weeks ago that showed some narrowing of smaller nerves that are causing my leg pain) and lets me cry on his shoulder when the days are pretty horrible.

He's a god send and I love him for that reason. Since yesterday's appointment with my PCP we have decided to seek out a doctor that will pro-actively talk WC into doing the Stimulator so that the leg pain will go away or at least be lessened by the Stimulator. I don't think I am expecting miracles by no means, but I do know that my PM doc says that this will be a good treatment for my pain and that all the pain meds I am on are not going to help control the pain.

Anyway thanks again for the warm welcome and I hope that I will hear from you soon.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi, I am a fellow spinney as well - 4 surgeries and the last failed. Have you done alot of research on the stim? What model are they planning on installing?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

Fusion2000 HB User

Not sure which model they are thinking of placing in me, but I have heard good things about the smaller more compact model. Is this true?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Fusion,

Welcome to the board!

I am so sorry to hear of your pain and troubles. Your Hubby sounds like a dream. It really must be nice to have someone that cares that much for you and does the best they can to understand and help you! Thanks God for that.

I hope that if the SCS is the way to go for you that the WC people will not give to much trouble about giving you what you deserve. I have been down that WC road for an arm injury that led to 4 surgeries, but because theu took a long time for some things, I do have a bit of permanent nerve damage in my left hand and wrist and some in the Ulnar nerve they moved from behind my elbow to the other side of the elbow.

Anyway I will be praying and thinking good thoughts for you!

Chrissy

Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
(female)

Fusion2000 HB User

Thank you so much Chrissy. I am so praying for a solution to my problem and that everything will go okay. But you know how that goes, the minute you think you have the "Beast" tamed it comes back to bite ya.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Fusion, I just want to say welcome aboard & I am sure you will find a huge amount of support here. I feel for you & truely hope that the simulater gives you relief. I dont know all the much about it but have heard of some success stories as far as pain reduction. Met a gentleman in my PMs office that has it & says he loves it & what a huge difference it has made in his life. I know everyone is different but we can hope for the best. God bless, Sammy

Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the boards. I don't have the stim, but my cousin has had the trial and has just been approved for the permenant placement. He has been fighting his pain for 10 years, with little or no success, and the stim is the first thing that has ever helped. His doc said that he will also prescribe some long-acting and short-acting meds as well, because he feels they will help him more now with the muscle and joint pain that the stim won't do as much for. His is also a WC case. It did take a bit of time, but he just kept on top of them. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel!

I hope everything works out for you. I'm glad you found us! I know you'll find that this is a great place for information and support. Please keep us posted about how you're doing. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Welcome to the boards!
I am a spiney too; during 2 last years I had 2 major spinal fusions with some other works. My surgeries failed and I am on disability since.
I just want to give you a suggestion; whatever you decide to go through regarding your treatments, please, go and see another opinion and the 3rd one if needed.
Many of us here came to this conclusion based only on our own experiences. Learned in a hard way.
And also, please, do a lots of research on a stim. This is not a simple answer; many of us, unclude me, were aproach with this option. Many good Drs look at this procedure differently and resulst are vary... Please, make sure you understand ALL about do and don'ts about it.
The only reason I am telling you all this - to share with you what I went through and many others. Having a good knowlegable, honest Spinal Ortho ( with fellowship in Spinal surgeries a must) is the key #1 of course; but to have your own research done is the key #2.

Best of luck to you.
Glad to help if you have any questions.

Last edited by Moldova; 08-17-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

Crystal15 -

You post has been moved to its own thread entitled "Nerve Block". Please do not post in others threads your own questions. It takes away from the thread orginator's questions and it is known as hi-jacking a thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Mod 08

Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
(female)

Fusion2000 HB User

Thanks Moldova I plan on getting at least a second opinion on the stim to make sure that it is the right thing for me. I want to go into this with my eyes wide open before I consent to any procedure. I've had too many "quick solution" surgeries to not at least give myself the chance of doing a lot of research before they even cut on me and feel that I was kinda pressured into the first fusion, if you know what I mean.

It seems to me that doctors are quick to offer too many solutions when they don't know whether or not that procedure will even work in the first place. I think if I could go back I probably would have done some research about the surgery they had planned before I went into this because I am pretty much back the way I was before the surgery.

Anyway, that's the plan. Thanks for all the info.

Fusion

Closed Thread