It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Kidney/Back Pain

All,

I've had a fever since yesterday morning, and pretty bad pain located close to my left kidney. If I take a full breath it hurts bad. Same thing if I push in that area. I called my doc's office and his nurse said he didn't think it was kidney, but that he wanted to see me at 4:30. So I'll be seeing him shortly.

The fever has me really zoned out. Between this, and the pain I'm having from the clinical trial med not working well, and the failure to secure a prior authorization for my LA med (yet), I am not a happy camper.

Please pray that whatever this is will resolve quickly and the pain will ease up so I can breathe properly.

steve

Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Kidney/Back Pain

Hi Steve,

As you know, I'm the queen of all kidney stones and kidney infections. It sounds like to me that you either have a stone, or infection, or both. The fever and the flank pain is definitely a red flag. You say it doesn't hurt when you urinate, right? Well, sometimes, infections can take a while to make you symptomatic, urinary wise, but, your immune system is trying to combat something. I can pretty much guarantee it's either an infection, kidney stone, or the worst one of all....an infected kidney stone.

Are you nauseous or vomiting? I know you said your flank area is tender, other than that, does it hurt? If so, does it radiate around to your groin area? If you are having pain, is it sharp, crampy, or stabbing?

Please post and let me know what happens, ok?? Please, God, do not let my friend Steve have to endure a kidney stone!!!! I'll pray that it's just an infection that can be cleared up with antibiotics. Bye for now.

Shay

P.S. Sorry, I see you did say you are having pain. Like I said before, it's either a stone or a pretty bad case of pyleonephritis (kidney infection). Hang in there, ok?? One more thing.....when I had severe acute pancreatitis, I also had pain in that area (especially under my left rib cage) and found breathing made the pain worse. Also, laying flat on my back also made it worse.

Oh God, I hope it's not pancreatitis!! That's horrendous! With pancreatitis, it's impossible to eat or drink anything, and doing so only makes the pain worse. If it's pancreatitis, you will most likely have to be admitted and put on strict IV fluids only (no food, water, or ice chips) and also on a PCA pain pump. When I had it, I was admitted for 10 days. I would have killed just to have some ice chips!! Please, post when you can, ok? I'm worried about you.

P.P.S. I remember something else. If it's pancreatitis, you will have to d/c your morphine until the pancreas is healed. Morphine is a definite no-no with acute pancreatitis. It actually makes the pancreas spasm evenmore, then you have more pain.

Last edited by friendly_one; 08-15-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Steve, this worries me greatly and I am beginning to wonder what is going on with you. You really are sounding like something major is up. Try and take care of yourself and in the mean time I can offer prayers.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-16-2008 at 04:00 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I saw my doc this afternoon.

Hd examined me thoroughly and took a urine sample. The quicky urine yet did not show an elevated white blood cell count, which surprised me. He's sending it out for further analysis. He's also got me getting a fll work up (blood test) tomorrow, and expects results Monday.

He's leaning towards either diverticulitis, shingles or pancreatitis. I just want the pain and fever to let up. I'm feeling pretty sick and real weak.

steve

Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I, too, am praying that it's not pancreatitis. NO NO NO!!!

I've had kidney infections and they are PAINFUL!

I was going to make a joke about you coming to the board with a new painful body part every couple of days....until I actually read your post.

Dude...what is going on with you? You need to stop helping us for awhile and focus on healing yourself. I'm saying extra extra prayers for your health and healing.

Please let us know when you find something. It's kind of funny that you have a fever and not a high white blood cell count. I know how it's hard to focus when you have a fever. I had a high fever for a week when I had pneumonia. I was very, very close to hallucinating. I didn't realize how out of it I was until the fever broke and I realized that I had missed a whole week...no memories.

Please take a few days to rest and relax and be pampered. We all love you, buddy!~Mush

Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Probably the reason he is running the blood work has something to do with why my children's peditrician did the same thing to my son. He was running 103/104 and 105 temperature for a week. Nothing came up but he was out of it and on iv's . Finally it showed up in his blood work. He had an ecoli infection in his kidney - showed up first in the blood work cultures before it showed up in the urine. Go figure this would happen to my kids.

Honey, take care of yourself and drink plenty of cranberry juice. Shay probably has some excellent advice so hopefully she will chime in.

P.S. I went and revised my last post. I actually fell asleep during that post and just woke up and said darn that makes no sense.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Steve, Steve, Steve...

I am very concerned for you my friend!

Any one of thise things that you have mentioned is no cake walk! Shingles is a very very very painful thing to endure! Do you have and sores that are blistery and painful?

The diverticulitus I think would have to be diagnosed by them doing a some endoscopic tests..colonoscopy etc. They have a scope for each end. The little pockest that are formed in the colon can trap particles of food and little seed such at the ones from strawberries and then cause pain and infection too I think!

For sure we don't want you to have the pacreatitis either or anything else for that matter!

I just hope this thing gets sorted out soon. If it is shingles I do know that keeping your stress level down is very important because it can be intensified or even brought on by stress. Shingles actually come from the same thig chicken pox does and stays dormant in your body. Some people who have had Chicken pox get shingels and some don't, but anyone who has ever had the chicken pox is at risk for getting shingles.

No matter what is found to be wrong I want you to know that I do think about you daily and wonder how your doing? I am always praying for you! Hang in there!~(((((((STEVE)))))))~

God Bless and let us know what you find out!
Chrissy

Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Thanks Everyone,

I also wonder what's up. Seems like one thing after another, sometimes one thing with another.

Anyway, today I awoke with slightly less pain in my side/back. The fever is lower too but not all the way gone. At least I didn't soak the bed with sweat last night. I am off to get the blood work done in a few minutes - the doc will have results on Monday. It does seem strange that their quicky blood test showed no elevated white blood cell count with the fever and all. I don't think this thing, whatever it is, is going to go quietly. It has that feel of something serious to it. I really don't want surgery - so the diverticulitis has me most scared. When I press hard on the painful spot I think I can feel it in my bowels. Things are getting really tough for me lately. I have to wonder how much of this is related to the tumor.

I'm beginning to feel exhausted. That spent feeling I was sharing with Becky (I think it was Becky). The "I just don't care any more" feeling.

My clinical trial POC said I can go up another dose so now at least I hope to get meaningful relief from BT meds. If I do, then tomorrow we switch to Fentora. I sure hope I don't have to titrate from the lowest dose all over again.

They've moved the thread that included the insurance troubles I'm having, and the discussion of my detox experience. If anyone's interested it's now in something like Health Insurance Problems or something like that. My PA was rejected. So my doc and I have to figure how to game the system to get me something close to adequate relief within the (new) rules. It appears that the most reasonable solution lowers my LA dose by 40mg daily, and will have me taking an uneven amount with 2 tabs in the am, two mid-day and 1 at night. I just recently got my doc to agree to another dose at night to even things out because I wasn't sleeping with the night-time dose being less than the other two. Now I'm back to that. I really do not like Anthem.

I'm sorry but I don't feel up to answering each of your posts, which I usually do. The energy is missing.

I care so much for you all, and so appreciate your support - especially with regard to my post about the detox experience. The compassion and care I sensed was overwhelming and I've had a hard time holding it together when I read your posts. I've gone back and re-read each of them again and again. Even though I couldn't sense compassion at the time, I can now. And it is very, very important to me. To have my suffering acknowledged. At the time many of those involved in my "care" were hostile to me - even the doc. When he came to visit me the morning after they shot me up with buprenorphine, his first words were "so here lies the late, great steve ......" I wanted to kill him, but would have failed because of all the thrashing. Whenever anyone came in to respond to my pushing the nurse button I was treated with disgust. They succeeded, after five days in the hospital, to remove all hope in my spirit, and made me feel like I was not worthy of care or compassion. I was so weak that I was actually buying into it. So now maybe you can see why your posts have been so helpful to me.

steve

Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Hang in there, Buddy!!!!

I hope you get this straightened out soon. Even though we're all wanting to know every detail and are worrying about you, rest and do whatever you have to. DO NOT worry about us or posting! Take whatever energy you have left and channel it in to healing yourself. And remember you had a horrible feeling about the pain in your arm(the dead, rotting feeling) and the doc said it was just tendonitis(or a sprain?). So don't think the worst. I know you have a lot going on but you have got to stay positive. We love you and want you well.~M

Try and catch some Olympic TT!

Last edited by trowftd3; 08-16-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: to add something more

Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Mush,

Thanks for the encouragement.

You have some kind of memory to recall the elbow thing. Not bad at all.

my elbow is not responding to typical treatment for tendonitis so my doc wants me to bring it up to the endocrinologist when I see him about the headaches. This doesn't mean it's not tendonitis, it just means it may be something else that acts like it.

steve

Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Steve, I have not been able to post as much as I would like, & I get so frustrated when I come on in the morning before work to check on everyone & have no time to respond. I am worried about you. You have been through alot lately. I am really curious to find out what if anything these tests reveal.
I am also wondering if any of it can be linked together. you are right it has been one thing after another for you & I feel so bad for you. I wish there was something I could do, as you help us all so much & are so very giving.
I can pray for you & that my friend you have my promise on.
I know there are days that you just want to scream ENOUGH! Just give up, I know my friend. We are all here for you & need you just as bad as you need us. I hate to hear you were treated so badly, I would like to have been there. Have a couple of things I would have like to have said on your behalf, & for once would have put my lady like behavior on the shelf.
I will be checking for those results, hope you let us know how your feeling, god bless & hang in there. We do love you! Sammy

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Steve,

Sorry I wasn't able to get to this thread sooner. I am so sorry that this just keeps happening to you. I am really getting worried and I wish I could help somehow. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but so much of what is happening to you sounds like it could be hormone related. The low grade temp, the sweating through your bed clothes, even the headaches and vision problems. And believe it or not, hormonal imbalances can also cause episodes of arthralgia and myalgia.

I'm sorry I have forgotten, but when do you see the endocrinologist again? If it isn't soon, then maybe you should try to get in earlier. I may be way off base, but I keep getting this nagging feeling in my gut that hormones have something to do with a lot of what's been happening to you.

Please just know that I am praying for you and I really wish there was more I could do. I'm still reeling a bit from your detox post. My heart still aches and my blood is still at a simmer. This is definitely one of those times when a "cyber" hug just doesn't seem like enough. Please close your eyes and imagine "feeling" all of our arms around you. I hope you know how much you mean to me and to all of us here. God Bless you my friend. Take care of yourself. If you need anything at all, just ask, OK? Hugs and love, CMP/MM

Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Steve!
How are you my friend?? I just wanted to pop in and let you know I am thing of you!

You are right about the issues with the elbow...there are several things that can be the cause of the pain your experienceing in your elbow. I am all to familiar with elbow pain and nerve issues there. They can be wuite painful and relentless.
I do not remember when you appointment with the Endo is, but I will keep checking into see how your doing.
Today I will be late to church but you and everyone else will be on that prayer list toaday. I am always praying for everyone, but Sunday prayer is speacial for me.

I know this is a tough road for you and more than likely weighing very heavily on your mind. If your anything like me...the fears of the unknowns can be very overwhelming even if we are not spending a lot of time focusing on then our minds know the thoughts are there and they do weigh heavily.

I pray for you my friend. Your very dear and special to me. Please hang in there and I am sending you a big..but soft cyber ~~~~~hug~~~~~

God Bless
Chrissy

Old 08-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Steve,
if this would be a kidney stone attack, pain doesn't go away by yourself; in fact if grows worse and worse affecting not only your back, but also abdomen area
I had couple major kidney stones attack and I know the pain levels and the outcome of it. My urine was pure blood, they were afraid that this is more than just a stone and fever got to 104. I was fine, they had to cut one area to relieve this silly stone, but I am Ok since.

Please let us know what is going on.
Best of luck!!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Steve,

Just checking in to see if you have found anything out about the back/kidney pain. I hope all is well. I pray for you every day, my dear friend. Sending lots of positive thoughts and bunches of hugs, CMP/MM

Closed Thread