It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
PM appt Tuesday..

I see the new PM doc for the second time tomorrow the 19th, my husband will be going with me to this appt. My husband finishes his radation treatments on Thursday and has a high enough energy level that he can get the basics done even if I'm completely down for a few days. We had delayed any procedures for my ribs until he was done with threatment so we could be sure of that.

I don't really have any idea of what to expect with this PM. The PT he sent me too worked wonders on my shoulder, everything that the old PM was saying "its nerve pain" was being caused by muscle weakness in the shoulder from not being properly rehabbed after the rotator cuff surgery. I still have some soreness, especially when I've upped the exercises, but it's the "good kind" of soreness. Unfortunately the PT wasn't able to do much for the rib area. We had hoped that as the shoulder got better, the ribs would too, but it didn't happen.

I have pain all the time now in the ribs, even laying down and the amount of swelling is kind of scary. At least it's documented, the PT examined me and said he would make a point of putting it in the notes that went back to the doc. At this point I would be happy to just have a diagnosis. I don't think this is nerve related at this point, but just don't know what it might be. If I don't take the Flexeril 3 times a day I get non-stop muscle spasms in the area, and get some even with it.

I guess I'll see what the doc has to say and go from there. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Tigg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: PM appt Tuesday..

Hey Tigg,

I am certainly not a doctor, but with 8+ years of myofascial pain "under my belt", it certainly sounds like your pain is musculoskelatal. Even just the fact that you mention the necessity for the muscle relaxer, seems to be a good indicator. I think in the past we have talked about one or another doc thinking your pain was myofascial. Am I confusing this with someone else? If so, please forgive me. My brain isn't what it used to be. Especially lately.

It's not that I can suggest much more in terms of procedures or treatment. When the issue is muscular, there aren't that many treatments out there yet. The only things that really help me are the myofascial release therapy and my meds. (especially the muscle relaxers)

I just wanted to wish you luck with the appointment. I hope your doc can help to get you the relief that you need. I'm glad hubby is nearing the end of his treatments. How is he feeling? Has he had a lot of pain and/or discomfort from the radiation? Is his doc making sure any pain is covered?

You and your hubby are in my prayers and I am hoping for some good news for both of you in the coming weeks. Warm hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

CMP,

You are right. My old PM put in her notes to my primary care Dr. that I have myofacial pain, but never told me that. My PCP is the one who told me. The old PM doc insisted that it was all "nerve pain" and therefore could not be treated with opiates, only anti-depressant, anti-convulsant or injections. My husband is doing well, he gets tired sometimes but hasn't really had much in the way of side effects from the radation, and hasn't had any pain at all. At this point I'm just hoping for a diagnosis so I'll at least know what I'm facing.

Tigg.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Tigg, just wanted to stop in and wish you the best tomorrow. I know how nerve wracking those appts can be especially in the beginning. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You have been thru alot lately.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Tig, I am curious to see how it goes. Of course I wish you the best.
I know you must have went over your pain issues but could you please remind me, sounds like you are in the same shoes I am, not knowing what is what. I am not sure why doctors do that, put something in notes/charts but dont tell the patient. It makes no sense to me. It is your body & really can make future doctor vistits tough. you know like when your asked questions by a new doctor you cant really answer to the best of your ability when your not kept informed by the other doctors. I get pretty mad when I find things in my doctors notes that was never discussed with me. Cant help yourself if you dont know what going on, thats why we go to the doctors to begin with.
As far as your husbund, mine was the same, he did not get tired right away from the radition, but it did catch up with him. He had some burning after while also but that was about it. I understand what your going through & my heart goes out to you & your husbund. Its hard when you both are struggling with something & I give you alot of credit. If you ever need me I am here for you. God bless, you are both in my prayers. Sammy

Closed Thread