It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

TiredOTired HB User
Anyone notice help with chocolate?

I have widespread pain, bodywide. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia-but am uncertain if I agree. I also have been pretty severly anemic for years without knowing it.

I notice that when my calf pain is bad, that if I eat chocolate it helps a bit. I wondered if anyone else had this experience?

P.S. I am on fentanyl 50 and take hydrocodone for breakthrough pain as needed.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Anyone notice help with chocolate?

Tired I have never tried this with my leg pain but it sounds alot better than bannannas or oranges. LOL

Seriously, I will try it next time I have a bad bout.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOTired View Post
I notice that when my calf pain is bad, that if I eat chocolate it helps a bit. I wondered if anyone else had this experience?
It may be due to the caffeine in chocolate. Caffeine can be of some aid in pain control, and is often combined with some pain relievers to increase their effectiveness.

I also read a research article recently where scientists found that the effect chocolate has on the brain re: endorphins are nearly identical to the that of THC. Very interesting. Now, whether there is some measure of pain control, I don't know, but the research established a link to the addictiveness of chocolate in general.

I'd say the caffeine component you feel is probably real. If it makes you feel better, go for it! As a fellow chocolate lover, I can tell you it that very few other foods are the pure heaven of chocolate! I could eat it all day. I've never noticed any effect on my pain, however...But, who knows since I eat it virtually every day!

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I never had any real craving for chocolate until I had chronic pain. I don't know if it's the caffeine, the endorphins or just what exactly, but I know I can't seem to go a day without it. Who knows, maybe it does have some pain relieving qualities. All I know is that it makes my day better.

Interesting observation/question. Thanks, CMP/MM

Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I know it is hard to stop at one piece. And I have some daily.

Allan.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I've actually had a Dr. tell me that eating a small amount of dark chocolate is good for relieving pain. Too bad he retired, any Dr. that tells me to eat chocolate is OK.

Tigg.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

Some good and funny replies. I get some real bad pains at night in my calves and notice that if I have a fudgcicle or some ice cream (chocolate) the pain seems to subside. I hoped that this would help others or at least someone would tell me I wasn't crazy.

I have such nonstop widespread chronic body pain that some days I sit at my desk and just shake. (Today is one of them!) No one in my office knows how bad it is. I have attempted to explain to loved ones--who think I am merely a chronic complainer.

I don't understand how I can have such consistent breakthrough pain. I am on 50 fentanyl for crying out loud! Anyone else in this situation?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Does your doc have you on any breakthrough meds? I know some docs believe that when a patient is prescribed a long-acting med, they shouldn't need any short-acting meds on top of them, but if you've read a lot here, I think you'll see that many of us take both.

Have you talked to your doc about the fact that you still have a lot of uncontrolled pain? If so, what is his/her response? If you've been on the same dose of meds for a while, you might need an increase, due to tolerance. Or, you just may need a small amount of breakthrough meds.

You are not alone about the friends and family issues. Many here have people in their lives who don't understand what it's like to have chronic pain. It's one of those things that a person can't really wrap their brain around, unless they've experienced it themselves. There was a good thread here on the board back in the spring or early summer about this very subject. If you go back in the pages or do a search of the "Pain Management" section of this board, you should be able to find it. It has some great insights about living with chronic pain. I believe it was started by IzzysMom. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

I do have meds for breakthrough pain and take them. I do know about dosing changes with long term use, as I have already had to go up a dose. I have been dealing with this for years. Thanks for the insights. I think part of the issue is weather related. I am very sensitive to when it rains and or high pressure systems. I am not entirely sure which or both triggers me. I am so uber irritated with it today. Both with using my patch and my breakthrough meds, I am still feeling the shakes of pain. I have talked with my dr. he is basically going to tell me to go up a dose on my patch-and I know that is not the answer as I will overdose. (This is not a full time problem yet but more so a couple of times a week thing.)

As far as those around me go: I am the youngest person at the office. I am 37. Everyone else is in their 60s, so forget about talking about aches and pains here. Also, my family is so dysfunctional that it is barely worth discussing. Friends? They don't get it whatsoever. Oh well!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOTired View Post

I don't understand how I can have such consistent breakthrough pain. I am on 50 fentanyl for crying out loud! Anyone else in this situation?
This is what makes PM so difficult and unique....And, why each person is so different.

If I may, let me present a current "theory" in PM.....One that I happen to subscribe to in principal, but not in totality:

Pain is the brain's response to stimuli in the body...The brain sends out signals saying "it hurts"! When you take pain meds, the meds effect the CNS and essentially "quiets" the brain signals. In the short run, this works very well. However, over time, the brain figures things out and says "I don't like to be silenced....We hurt and there is pain for a reason." Thus, the brain fires up even stronger pain signals as a way of fighting through. Then, you need more powerful pain meds. This cycle goes on and on.

Throw in actual "flare ups" and then your pain goes to a whole different level, which is why we need BT meds....For times when our pain is actually higher....Mainly due to the triggers of our pain (you described yours very well).

Some in PM think that over time, when you keep increasing your meds, you essentially establish a new "set point." Kinda like gaining weight...When you gain 5 or 10 lbs in a year, your body has a new set point, or comfortable weight that it likes. One of the reasons it's hard to lose weight in the long run is because of these natural set points that the body likes to establish, and it tends to go right back to a set point once you go off your diet.

This may explain why you still experience quite a bit of pain while on the patch. You may need an increase, or you may need a different type of LA med....Docs really can't explain why our bodies respond better to some meds vs others. And again, everyone is different. I would talk this all over with your Doc and see what happens....This is why we have monthly or quarterly appointments. If the meds were perfect solutions, we wouldn't need to go in that much.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I wanted to reply to your post but Ex said it already for me. I know same exact information since I am such chocoholic since my childhood!
I am not kidding; chocolate is a part of my diet every single day. Not much (used to be a lot when we did not know about cholesterol), but every day.

I know about benefits for our health from cocoa butter, but I eat chocolate only because I love it so much.
In fact creams for your body made out of cocoa butter is excellent source of vitamins and moisture!
So enjoy that coffein and endofrins in it especially if it elevates your mood and makes you feel better!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

well folks I eat so much chocolate I should just be totally totally pain-free.
But for the duration of eating a plain or whole nut cadburys dairy milk choc bar and a nice cup of coffee, not to strong, and stired anti-clockwise of course ! is just heaven.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Round1,
even though I would join your company in a second and would have that treat too, I have to say that only dark (darker is healthier) has some health benefits.
Milk chocolate is just like a candy!
I am lucky I love darkest chocolate ever! Although lighter one can be eaten by me too!!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I love the dark, dark, dark chocolate too! The dark chocolate M&M's are great for keeping around. Just a few will do it.

Tigg.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I find it's better if I melt the chocolate and rub it on my knees and such - then I have this gal friend who is trained in pain relief by distraction, a very up and coming alternative PM treatment where @#$#%^... Darn keyboard...

steve

Last edited by forginon; 08-21-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread