It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

swtpea HB User
Hello all.....

Hello All!

Im 27 and in the worst pain of my life right about now.

It all began from an auto accident in 2001, where I injured my Lumber and Cervical spine. At the time the only thing that was done was injections in both areas. My lower back always bothered a little more but the injections worked on the Cervical herniations and buldges.

Years had past, went about my life, rode my horse, competed frequently and as time went on the lower back began to get worse. Went back to my original Pain Mngmnt doctor and e did more injections and medication but to no avail nothing help. In April of 2006, he told me after reviewing a new MRI that I needed to be referred to a surgeon. Went to the referrign surgeon and three others for there opinion. It was decided that surgery was the only option.

I had my first L5 - S1 Anterior Spinal fusion in October 2006, by the fourth month after it I was in terrible pain and by then the surgeon had pretty much wrote me off and told me that I was a drug seeker and proceeded to type out a letter to all of my doctors (General doc that i have been with for 15 years, dentist, gyno...you name it, he sent it!!!) They all basically disregarded it. But it was the principle of it for me. Thats in my permenant medical file wheneverd i go see a different surgeon.

I took charge as best I could and found a new pain doctor who is in the same practice with a spinal surgeon. I brought in my records. I cannot explain how it felt to try and explain to the new PM that I am not a drug seeker and I really was in pain and the first surgeon never bothered to take the taime out to figure out why. These doctors that I found are a true godsend!!!! They understood me and worked with me and told me that they do not go by anything that is in my record regarding that and I have a very good reason to be in severe pain. There was Non-union of the fusion and the cages that were inserted were loose.

I had A Posterior spinal fusion revision surgery in May 2007. Everything was healing well as is expected. About four months ago I started back on pain medication because i had continued pain in one area in the lower left side of my back. We have come to the conclusion that it is a screw, i seemed to be 100% fused but my surgeon said he will not be completely sure unitl the hardware removal surgery is done and he can see for himself. The first surgern put way to much instrumentation in my back according to my new surgeon.

I am going to the see my surgeon and PM today and im super nervous.

Please excuse my spelling, as i am typing rather fast, im at work.

Any advise and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
w/more instrumentation, due to non-union
of first spinal fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Hello all.....

Hi Swtpea,

Welcome! It sounds as though you've been through the back surgery wringer for someone your age. But it also seems like you have finally found a new team of docs who are caring and competant. After what you've been through I can't say I blame you for feeling a bit nervous, but it really sounds like these new docs have a better handle on your situation than the old surgeon did. From the sound of things, I think these docs are willing to do what needs to be done, whatever the outcome.

I'm glad you found our little pain family here on the boards. There are truly caring and compassionate people here, who have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Best of luck with your appointment and I look forward to hearing more from you. Please post back and let us know how it goes. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
(female)

swtpea HB User

Thank you sooo much cmpgirl, I have read these boards for a long time and seen the friendships that bond here and the great advice and opinions given. I just hope that I can also join in and advise others that are in the same boat as the rest of us are
w/more instrumentation, due to non-union
of first spinal fusion.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I wish I had advice for you, but all I can say is that my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you had an experience that is similar to many of us with lousy doctors. I'm so glad you have found a team of doctors that you are comfortable with. Make sure you really try to maintain a good relationship with them, because it can make a world of difference. Spinal problems are so tricky. I have cervical issues, and I can't imagine having that along with lumbar issues. I hope you can find some treatment, surgical or otherwise, that can help treat the pain that you have coming from these areas. Let us know how it goes and what the new doctors decide to do.

Last edited by Toonces1; 08-19-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread