It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Todays PM Appt - 8/20

My doc moved me from 90 mg. to 100 mg oxycontin. She wanted to move me to 120 and when I explained my situation to her she agreed to only move me to 100 mg. and if this does not do the trick, I have agreed to go to 120 next week. In the meantime, my breakthru is 10 mg. oxycontin.

The reason this wonderful amazing woman can not take me as a full time patient is that she is working part time and is at a point in her life where she is enjoying life by going on vacations. She is getting ready to leave for 8 weeks and will be calling me next wednesday from her vacation.

She is a jewel and I wish we all could have her. She truly understands pain mgmt and understands that we all have to move at our own pace and level of acceptance in regards to pain med titration.

She explained that the mere fact that I was on 40 mg and am now at 100 mg. soon to go to 120 mg. shows how undermedicated I was. Especially when I exhibit no sleepiness whatsoever am much happier and easier to live with and am able to complete tasks. I was so bad that I had to stop when folding laundry because of the pain. Some days it would take me 8 hours to fold towels - I literally could not function because of the pain.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-20-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Todays PM Appt - 8/20

Sorry I got side tracked her role in my care will be:

(1) once I am stabilized - she anticipates in the next couple of weeks I go back to my gp

(2) My GP will then write all scripts and take complete reigns of my care.

(3) She will act as an advisor to my gp

(4) I will have 6 month check ups with her to go over the status of my meds and discuss any problems that I have. If I need her and it is an absolute emergency, I may call her cell but she told me I better have a heck of a good reason. LOL I will never call her unless it is serious....that is for sure.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-20-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sounds like an excellent plan. And an excellent doc to boot! You have to be so pleased. I'm certainly pleased for you, my friend.

One question though........ Did she mention whether she spoke with your PCP? I was just wondering if he responded favorably to her plan.

I'm really so happy for you Pepper. Isn't God great?? Now, if only we can get a few others situated.........

I keep you in my prayers every day, sweetie. I look forward to hearing how the increase works. Please keep us updated, OK? Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
My doc moved me from 90 mg. to 100 mg oxycontin. She wanted to move me to 120 and when I explained my situation to her she agreed to only move me to 100 mg. and if this does not do the trick, I have agreed to go to 120 next week. In the meantime, my breakthru is 10 mg. oxycontin.

The reason this wonderful amazing woman can not take me as a full time patient is that she is working part time and is at a point in her life where she is enjoying life by going on vacations. She is getting ready to leave for 8 weeks and will be calling me next wednesday from her vacation.

She is a jewel and I wish we all could have her. She truly understands pain mgmt and understands that we all have to move at our own pace and level of acceptance in regards to pain med titration.

She explained that the mere fact that I was on 40 mg and am now at 100 mg. soon to go to 120 mg. shows how undermedicated I was. Especially when I exhibit no sleepiness whatsoever am much happier and easier to live with and am able to complete tasks. I was so bad that I had to stop when folding laundry because of the pain. Some days it would take me 8 hours to fold towels - I literally could not function because of the pain.
Hi dietdrpepper~

I am also very happy that this plan will work for you....and I don't know you either...hehehe...But I did have a question or two for you~
First off..I have many chronic pain issues...needing back surgery, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, and this is after I've had far too many surgeries in the past. But my question to you is, have you ever been on Mscontin and did it work at all for you? My pain Dr is changing me back to the Oxycontin at only 20 mgs after being on Mscontin 30 mgs 3 times daily. It was my request though, seeing I had been on it before and thought it worked better than the Mscontin ever did. Do you know of the difference's of the two med's and if you'd find the Oxycontin worked better for you than any other pain med you've taken before? I've tried the patche's, morphine, oxycontin, just lorcet and then moved onto the Oxy's Ir's for breakthrough meds. I'm just praying that the 20 mg's 3 times daily will be enough to take away my pain, while you're at a much higher level than I am right now. And also if I were to have any withdrawals going from Mscontin to the Oxycontin, but at a lower level, and much lower level I might add!! I'm at my wits end right now and don't know who to ask.
Thank's my dear and I hope everything works out fine and dandy for you and you're pain level being stabilized so you can move on to a more productive life without pain!
Have a sparkling day,
Shelby

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you CMP for your prayers.

She has sent my GP two emails and he agreed to work with her so I am assuming all is fine - I don't want to think otherwise. Could you imagine? What a disaster that would be - I don't think that will happen because they are working together!! Only positive thoughts here!

My husband and children are both saying that I am so different the last week. I am not snapping at the littlest thing and I am actually fun to be around again. Hubby says I am more of a jokester again and he has missed that part of me.

GOD is good and I have so many of you to thank for your guidance and support. We almost need to put together a How to talk to your PM doc hand out.

Yes now we need to get everyone straightened out.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

This is such good news! I will be sending positive thoughts your way when you go back to see your gp. Your plan sounds like mine...I used to see my pm every 6 months or so, then it was once a year and now it's only when there is a problem(because he's run out of treatments for me). My gp handles everything.

WELCOME TO THE PAIN MANAGEMENT PARTY FOR PEPPER!!!!!

We have cake and punch and all kinds of appetizers. Tell me your favorites, Pepper and I will whip them up. What flavor of cake do you want?

Who's bringing balloons, napkins, cups and forks??
Shall we have the party at my house or would you like to go to the beach??
(No falling in the waves...for anyone)
No wild dancing. Just comfortable chairs/recliners with lots of pillows.
We also have waiters at our beck and call so no one has to serve anyone else..or even get out of their comfy chair.

Just sit back and enjoy!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Isn't it great to have a real PM doc?

I feel so badly when I read how others are treated at the hands of fakes, those who claim the title or say they treat pain, only to leave patients in severe pain.

steve

Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Steve, your alive, buddy! I have been worried about you. Now I can rest seeing you post. HAve to go read and figure out what has been happening with you.

Yes, after what I have been through with my gp and this pm doctor I now realize that there are people who are dispensing pain meds that have no business dispensing them to cp patients. This is a specialized field that deserves the expertise of the pm doctor. Think about it - our gp's send us to spinal surgeons for backs, orthopedics for knee problems, neurologists for parkinsons, obsterics for pregnant women, gastros for ibs/crohns disease, etc. so I don't get it why they are treating pain patients. We do deserve the speciality appts.

I was unfairly treated and left for months in pain and I do plan on writing a nice long letter to my insurance company on this subject. I will not be picking on my gp because it is not his fault. He was forced by the HMO company to treat me this way -- and it is WRONG.

Sorry I guess I had a vent there!! I must be feeling better cause I am getting fiesty.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Fiesty!

I love fiesty.

Fiesty means you have strength, and the means to use it.

I love Pepper at 5. I knew I would. 4 would be even better. This is so wonderful. There is so much in store for you. You will begin thinking and acting in wholly new ways, behaving as if you can actually plan and do activities you thought were lost. You'll learn moderation as you work this by trial and error, you'll get there. Always err on the side of caution and you'll be fine.

The Lord has given you your life back. Isn't He great?

steve

Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Finally my friend got some relieve!

Stay well and keep up with a good job!
Love, Moldova.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3 View Post

WELCOME TO THE PAIN MANAGEMENT PARTY FOR PEPPER!!!!!

We have cake and punch and all kinds of appetizers. Tell me your favorites, Pepper and I will whip them up. What flavor of cake do you want?

Who's bringing balloons, napkins, cups and forks??
Shall we have the party at my house or would you like to go to the beach??
(No falling in the waves...for anyone)
No wild dancing. Just comfortable chairs/recliners with lots of pillows.
We also have waiters at our beck and call so no one has to serve anyone else..or even get out of their comfy chair.

Just sit back and enjoy!!!!
Count me in!!!!!

I make a mean baked cheddar and carmelized onion dip. Or, if you prefer lo-cal, a big platter of fresh fruit with a whipped marshmallow dip. And I have plenty of napkins and flatware. Just decide Pepp, and I'll be wherever you pick!

Ahhhhhhhh....... Pillows, lots and lots of pillows......

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hey Diet....Sounds like a GREAT plan. Isn't it great to have Docs actually work together for a change? I think you're well on your way down the yellow brick road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post

She has sent my GP two emails and he agreed to work with her so I am assuming all is fine - I don't want to think otherwise. Could you imagine? What a disaster that would be - I don't think that will happen because they are working together!! Only positive thoughts here!
I feel quite sure all is well. After all, @ your appt today, she told you the new "plan" of what each Doc will do & etc. They've obviously communicated about it and agreed to such. I've gotta believe that your GP is ok with everything....After all, he's CYA himself by using the PM Doc. So, all is good!

Take care, and hope things continue looking up for you!

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 08-20-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Pepper, *so* happy to hear she bumped you up a little [I wish you'd taken the whole increase, but I understand your concerns - it's just amazing to be at a 0-2 - Oxycodone was actually the medication that helped me the most - [I think it's out now b/c of the brand/generic issue--I really wish they still made the generic ER.]. IMHO, much much better than morphine but I know everyone is different.] When I think about it now, perhaps it is *wise* to save some for the future..! Congratulations. I'm glad you've found a new target for your anger....[tho, I happen to like your insurance co -lots of alternative medicine and brand name oxycodone! But not being able to see a PM...Ridiculous....Now you have the best of both worlds...

It *is* really hard not to feel frustrated about time lost and unnecessary pain. For me it has had serious consequences for my career and finances. The raw pain that makes you feel like climbing the walls is the most serious problem though. But, no need to look to the past - you have a life again!

Last edited by Confused089; 08-20-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

oh Pepper, I am so happy for you. When the pain is managed..well...life can be good!! New Dr. sounds wonderful. I am so sorry I have not been around for a couple of weeks...or more....for some reason, I just haven't been on the puter.....

Surgery knocked the stuffin out of me...but I am coming back...and more or less pain free from the original pain!!!! yup...finally...just the surgical pain now...but it is getting better.!!!

Keep up the good work...enjoy life...so glad for you and your family...

Leslie

Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Yeah, Pepper!!
I am so happy for you!! Feisty huh? Hubby better watch out! And of course we need DDP at the party, I'll bring that!!! Don't you wish we could REALLY have a party to celebrate your new life? I'd just like to give you a BIG hug....so here it is (((((((Pepper)))))))

Deb

Closed Thread