It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Sense of Smell - Overactive.

Question for anyone.

Sense of Smell,

I have noticed for a good while I tend to get smells far stronger than others.
Has anyone noticed that their sense of smell is over sensitive. I dont know is it just another factor with CP that all senses and areas are overactive and feel pain and smell more. Is this just another thing we can add to our list

Round1

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Sense of Smell - Overactive.

Round 1,

This is real interesting.

I've been experiencing something similar.

Quite often I smell what seems to be a burnt or cooked aroma to things that are not in a category to be burnt or cooked. For instance, sometimes when I wake up and the windows are open, I feel like I'm smelling a kind-of burnt smell.

I'm not sure this even makes sense, as it's very hard to describe.

I have always been very sensitive to burning smells because I almost died in a house fire as a kid. I can smell something burning well before anyone else. But this is different. It's not that something smells burned, but that there's a burned or cooked quality to the smell. At home lately it isn't unusual for me to ask if anyone has just used the oven or cooked something in the micro - only to learn that no one has done so.

I'm sorry if this makes no sense Round 1. It's just something I've been noticing lately, say the last 4-6 months, and your post brought it out of my subconscious so to speak.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Sense of Smell - Overactive.

Yep. I have had "odor" issues ever since I started having pain. My husband thinks I'm nuts, by the way. For me, it's anything made out of that rubber compound they use for those "jellies" sandals (you know the ones that are usually translucent neon colors that kids love so much) and any kind of fertilizer smell. Usually, I can't stay long in the garden department at the big box home stores. And if I walk into a department store that carries those sandals, I can smell them from the opposite side of the store. Both of these will make me quite nauseous, and if I'm around them long enough, a headache.

I can also smell the litter boxes (which are in our basement) as soon as one of my furry children uses one. Hubby always thought he had a good sense of smell, but he isn't bothered by any of the odors that I am sensative to. I'm going to have to tell hubby that I'm not quite as loopy as he thinks. At least not about the odors!

Great thread Round. I'm glad to know it's not just me. CMP/MM

Closed Thread