It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Quick Question and Update

My pain is doing alot better I am seeing 4's and 5's pretty consistently. YAHOO!!

However, gosh here I go again, I am experiencing in the last couple of days exhaustion. I mean not I want to sleep exhaustion but mentally and physically like I am wiped out and drained. Do you think it is the meds or is it just that I have been experiencing such high level of pain for so long that my body needs time to recover and reset itself? We started homeschooling again and I just closed the books today and I am thinking we may take off next week. I just need to chill in my recliner for a couple of days.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Quick Question and Update

Pepper,

You have got to expect that your body needs time to heal. Stop to think. You have gone from being able to do nothing-remember 8 hours to fold towels? to being able to do almost all you want. Well, your muscles aren't used to all this activity and they need time to recover also. You can't run the 100 yard dash all the time babe! LOL. I know that you are feeling soo much better, but pace yourself. Think of recovery time. Take a rest, then do again. Rest, then do. As your energy builds up you will feel better and will be able to do more.

And example. When I started back to work after my sugery, I started back 4 hours a day for two week, then 5 hours a day for two weeks, then I was able to go full time. Just pace yourself. YOu just haven't felt this good and you want to experience life again. I understand...but your muscles would like a rest please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Pepper,

This is so well documented, and I've been waiting to see you write about this.

It's called the rest of the pain wracked body.

And it's totally normal. Oftentimes, when folks have to be hospitalized for carefully controlled pain management, they find that the patients just sleep, and sleep and sleep. At first this was diagnosed as overdose, or just too much meds but not OD.

They came to learn that when the body has been assaulted with severe pain for so long, that once relief comes the body just kinda shuts down to rest. Puts up the "CLOSED" sign. Your body needs to recoup its resources and that's what you need to give it - time and rest. The very worst thing you could do right now is put out - work - whatever. The very best thing you could do for yourself is round file that alarm clock, have your husband take care of any kid or other family needs, and just sleep.

We'll all understand if you zzzzzz for awhile.

Pleasant dreams Pepper.

steve

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
I mean not I want to sleep exhaustion but mentally and physically like I am wiped out and drained. Do you think it is the meds or is it just that I have been experiencing such high level of pain for so long that my body needs time to recover and reset itself?
I agree with Steve in his assessment. You have to also remember that you're taking significantly more med than before, and it takes a good while for the body to adjust. Each time I go through a dose increase, I tend to sleep a lot. We have to remember that these meds are serious depressants, overall.

I think though that your issue is probably multi in nature...All the stress, the pain, the increase in meds, & etc. Just my .02.

Hope things continue to improve for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Everyone's right girlfriend. Your body and your mind are in adjustment and recovery mode. Even after all these years, if I over-do it, my body always let's me know that the shop is closed for a bit. I've just gotten to the point where I expect it and plan on it. You'll see...... this will eventually become second nature to you. You'll just know, when you are going to need to put your feet up or take a little cat-nap.

My father-in-law has always had a saying...... "Go slow, and learn to peddle". Years ago, I never really understood what he meant, but I do now! Listen to your body, sweetie. It knows what it's talking about. Hugs and prayers, CMP/MM

Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you so much for the feedback --- I was worried that maybe my doc moved me up to high to quick. Like I said, it is not really needing to sleep but just put those feet up and be a couch potato. It is taking all my strength just to do a couple loads of laundry and cook.

My pain is wonderfully controlled.....like I have not had it in two years. Since she is still willing to adjust I would love to go do stuff and see what the pain is like but to be honest I don't have the strength. It feels like I am recovering from surgery...you hit it on the nose.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Pepper, that my friend is exactly how I tend to feel. Kind of strange, not so much your normal tired from lack of sleep. So it makes sense that our bodies are telling us to just rest. We just need to listen more. I dont know about you but I tend to tell my body what my kids always tell me when its chore time "In a minute" or "I'll do it later",lol. I am happy to hear your pain levels are down. Just dont over do. god bless, Sammy

Old 08-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Diet,
I agree with everyone here; my meds make me very tired too. In fact after taking my dose of LA Oxy, 1/2 hour later I prespire all over the body, water running on my face! And I never do it even when I exsercise!!!
And yes, I am exhausted too. If you read on Oxy - it says that some people experience severe exhausting...
Everybody relates differently to meds...
Best of luck!

Closed Thread