It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

AbbyMae1234 HB User
No more subutex?

I have been a chronic pain patient with 2 cervical / 5 low back with titanium cages implanted between L4-S1. These pin / rods and screws and cages are very painful. Staph infection set in wound and bone chips had to be taken out. Back is very weak and painful with hardware implanted. I had been on Hydrocodone Oxycodone, Oxycontin, methadone over 6 years. Two and half years ago my doctor suggested Suboxone but the naxalone made my stomach upset so I switched to Subutex. I worked up to 24mg per day. All of a sudden my insurance company cut me off. I have no idea what to expect. Any offerings?

AbbyMae1234

Last edited by AbbyMae1234; 08-22-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: No more subutex?

Welcome AbbyMae1234!

You have come to a wonderful board. The folks here are the best. I hope we can help you.

So, you have a script but your insurance co is denying coverage?

I just had this recently with my MS Contin, at a dose and qty I've been taking for a long time. It had to do with new rules about pill count. They required a prior authorization, and then rejected it. So I have some work to do also.

Back to you - has your coverage changed, or did you change insurance companies? Have you called them? I would certainly do so and ask point blank what happened?

It does take a special certification in the US to write scripts for buprenorphine in any form. Have you had a new doc write this for you, one w/o the certification?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, I'm just trying to get enough info to help.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

AbbyMae1234 HB User

Steve, thank you for responding.... This is an issue of workers' compensation. I have a court ordered lifetime settlement as I was injured in CA and moved out of state. The workers' comp paid all my medications up until the first of this month. The doctor is registered and has been my doc for 12 years in new state... I have been pleading for a transition period but have been flat out told, "put it on your medicare". I am also disabled and unable to work. I cannot afford to buy this medication while drawing $900 a month to live on. I have an attorney working the case but know these things can be drawn out over months if not longer. Insurance company will not return calls or emails. I have read so many horror stories of coming off this medication and just don't know what to expect. I have muscle relaxer for spasms and that's it.... thanks for responding so quickly.

AbbyMae1234

Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

There may be a legal issue with this.

As far as I know it is illegal for a patient on meds that cause physical dependency (could be anti-depressant, or opioid, or other) to be cut off, whether it be a doc or other entity.

You might have your lawyer look into it for you.

Have you called the manufacturer? Many drug manufacturers have programs to fund those who cannot afford the meds, and this may well be one of them. There are a number of folks on this site that have taken advantage of just such a thing for their pain meds.

steve

Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
(female)

AbbyMae1234 HB User

Steve, Thank you so much for the info and I did pass on this information in the way of a screen dump to my attorney. I hope somehting can be worked out quickly..... I am going though anxiety and further depression due to all of this, thank you very much for the support and idea to call manufacture if I don't hear any thing concrete quickly.

Your support is wonderful here at the message board..... wish I had come here sooner.

AbbyMae1234

Closed Thread