It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Steve...Did you come up w/ a solution for your meds?

Steve,

I see you're online. Did you decide what to do? I posted a somewhat lengthy and confusing reply to your question on the insurance board a while back. Not sure if you saw it. Basically, urged you to try out a scrip before d-day and suggested that as far as the insurance co. was concerned, you may be starting a "new" 30 day scrip on day 13 [rather than finishing up the month and beginning anew after 17 days]. Also concluded that 175 plan wouldn't work *this* month, but would work *next* month [but never could figure out when your 30 days would begin - i.e., with new scrip [most likely], or with old script for 60 mgs.

Where are you at now? I imagine you have had to fill a new scrip at this point. If so, how is it working?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Steve...Did you come up w/ a solution for your meds?

Confused,

I did see everything - thanks!

My initial fill was on August 11th. That's when I walked out with 120 of the 60mg MS C's. My doc (my GP who writes my pain management scripts) and I both worked the insurance co and it became clear there was going to be no PA, no leniency with regard to the pill count policy.

On Wednesday of this week I received a script from my PM doc for the balance of the 60mg MS C's needed to complete the month on a stable regimen (also received a check to pay for the balance from the study sponsor) for the study.

I double-checked with the pharmacist to assure that when I come in around September 10th that I will be starting a new month. This will be no problem since insurance was not involved in the provision of the remaining 150 tablets.

My GP and I have decided the new monthly script will be for 5 100mg MS C tablets daily, with the BT med remaining the same as before. I will be allowed to take the 5 tablets however it seems to work best, but it will be written "take 1-2 tablets every 8 hours," and the qty will be 150. That will be 30 tablets shy of the monthly 180 pill limit for the 100mg and 200mg tablets. I spoke with the insurance company to make sure that plan will work and got their assurance.

I want to be sure that the pharmacy uses the same generic company for the 100mg pills as they use for the 60mg pills, so I still have to place that call. Since this new regimen will be 40mg shy of the prior daily total, I can't afford to get a crummy generic.

I could take the more complex road and use the formula to get me to 175mg three times per day but the hassle factor is too high, and it would add that much more risk that my doc would get something on the scripts wrong and I'd be playing ping-pong travel across the valley to get my meds right.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks again for all your help. You put serious time into your posts and I'm most appreciative.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Steve, happy to hear that the study paid for the rest of your meds this month! That's great news. Using the 60 mgs w/o insurance for the rest of the month as ensures that your month starts again on Sept. 10th. It also eliminates the need to fill the scrip early to ensure that everything works out. Having the study pay for the meds [which is to their advantage since a change in your dose may well affect your use of BT meds] is a great solution.

I know you want to avoid any more hassles w/ the insurance company after what happened, but I don't think the 175 scrip is very complicated once you are a month past the time you picked up the 60s. It would just be 90 100s, 90 60s and 90 15s each month. The quantity for each would be well below their limits. The *only* question is whether or not they would allow three scrips of the same medication. You're right about the hassle factor - I have a fairly complicated scrip and my dr. has occasionally made mistakes - Still, it's pretty rare, and I'm learning to check the scrips before I leave the office. But, if your dr. thinks the 5 100s will work well [you *could* try a two week scrip in case they don't - more hassle since you would have to go back to get the second scrip, I know, but if you find your BPL is messed up or that you have to get up in the middle of the night to take your medication, it might be nice to be able to switch to 175 after two weeks. On the other hand, with all the hassle you've gone through, I can see why you would like to keep everything as simple as possible and avoid problems. It also sounds like it's a trek to your dr.'s office so getting a 2nd a 2nd scrip mid month [again] would be another hassle.

Glad it all worked out!

If I remember correctly, you get Endo and think it's good? I'm looking for an alternative.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Yep, Endo. I like it much better than the Ethex.

steve

Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Steve, thanks for the confirmation. Would you also go for Endo over Roxanne? I realize you may not have taken Roxanne. Also, wanted to acknowledge that I figured you already knew everything I wrote about how great it was that the study chipped in to keep the dose stable - I was thinking out loud..[not uncommon] in my first paragraph :-)

No need to respond, but your post about your experience with the faulty patches vanished from the insurance thread. I was curious about what happened to it.

Closed Thread