It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

shananava HB User
not so good day w/ pharmacy! But she was nice!

I changed pharmacy w/ my pain dr so i could get something other than Mylan patches. They ordered last thursday and they didnt come in on Friday. They ordered last Friday for my Watsons to come in today. They didnt come in. They only had 5 sandoz and 5 watson. She let me know the next closest walmart had them but I am not supposed to go anywhere else. I called pain dr and they said just to get the 10 since I barely made it til today on what I had. I had to have pharmacist fax something in writing stating that order did not come in. She was very nice but it was just a big pain and I feel worrisome, but know im not. I didnt feel good today anyway. When I get there 2 of my scripts hadnt been run thru my insurance so I still had to wait again for that to be fixed. Didnt take long but just made me wanna go back to bed even more. I havent felt good all week, am broke and dont need extra stress. Now I have to pay another $15 copay for the other 5 patches. Paying insurance out of pocket, meds and copays is hurting me bad. Pray for me please and for a peaceful weekend. Thanks you guys!
Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: not so good day w/ pharmacy! But she was nice!

Shannon,

So sorry you had an opposite pharm experience from mine. It's not often that most of us CPers have a good experience and your post is proof of just that.

At least you know you will be able to get the balance of your script soon. I wonder though, about the additional co-pay. If the pharmacy is out of your patches, and has to give you a "partial fill", does the script still "stand" or does your doc have to write a new script for the balance? I would say that if it is still a valid script and the balance is filled off of it, as opposed to a new one, then they shouldn't charge you a second co-pay.

I don't know if that made sense but I hope I said it the way I meant it to come out. But anyway, it might be worth finding out. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. I know what it's like to have that feeling of wondering why you even got out of bed. I will pray for a better weekend for you. Take it easy and rest up as much as you can. God Bless, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

shananava HB User

Thanks for your reply. Because it was Fentanyl I'll have to have a new script. The pharmacist said the only way to avoid a new copay was to have those 5 included in the new script for next month which probably wont work because the price is for $30 day supply and the class of the drug. Maybe she put it in the letter or the dr knows something. I just hope it doesnt make the drs start questioning me because Ive never had any problems before except for a dumb pharmacist that they had to deal with after he called them. Just dont need any hassle in future in case i need dose increase. Have been on 50mcg for over a year and we are trying this other brand to see if thats the problem. If not we will see what dr says. Thanks again!
Shannon

Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananava View Post

I just hope it doesnt make the drs start questioning me because Ive never had any problems before except for a dumb pharmacist that they had to deal with after he called them. Just dont need any hassle in future in case i need dose increase.
I don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about...Not in the least. If anything, I'm sure your Doc's office very much appreciates you taking the time to let them know in advance.

As a person who wore patches for quite some time, I can tell you without doubt that there are patch supply issues all over the country. In fact, it was one of the reasons I had to switch (along with the heat). One month, it took me 4 different pharmacies and 4 different supplies, and very unfortunately, 4 different co-pays just to get my month's supply. At the time, my Doc talked about how he had all sorts of issues with patch supply and he made some kind of comment about moving away from prescribing them to a lot of patients due to the issues.

The problem stems back to the re-call of the Duragesic/Sandoz 25s...Because it is the "tonnage" product (most often prescribed), it created all sorts of issues in the supply chain. Then, Docs started writing for (2) 12.5s as a way to get by until the 25s became available. So, that wiped out all of those supplies, especially since there wasn't adequate supply to start with (it's a low volume sku).

Naturally, all of the above put a lot of stress on not only the other strengths, but the other manufacturers as well. The other manufacturers, Watson and Mylan, didn't have adequate inventory to handle the excess demand because they were secondary players in the market. These companies can't just produce millions of patches overnight, and even if they could, it takes time for the supply chain to get re-stocked.

Believe it or not, the market is still having some minor issues as a result. Duragesic / Sandoz is back up to full capacity again, but it's going to take a while for everything to get back to normal. This probably why your patches didn't come in on time. Next month, I would make sure I ordered them about 2 weeks in advance, just to be safe.

And, BTW, I feel pretty sure your Doc knows all of this......

Please try not to worry...I can assure you it's no issue whatsoever.

Take care,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 08-23-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
(female)

shananava HB User

Thanks EX. Im going to try and not worry. Sometimes I think some of the horror stories I read make me paranoid, though my drs office hasnt ever been that way. I dont want to rock the boat and anything like that happen to me. I have read taking someone helps sometimes and really havent for a while. My appts are over an hour away so I drive up a day before and stay with a friend to avoid all the driving in one day. It just depends on what dr does if I go home that day or not. On trigger shot days, no, its laydown sleep time for me, or if the decide to mess with the knots or make me move the wrong way. I'll be ok and think Ive covered myself. Thanks again!
S

Old 08-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Just curious, where in Va do you live?

Ex

Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
(female)

shananava HB User

I live just south of Lynchburg, dr in Roanoke. You?

S

Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

What clinic do you use? Since you're in Lynchburg, you could maybe travel to Richmond and I'm sure there are many good PM's to choose from. But, you may be happy with your Doc.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

shananava HB User

As of now I have had no problems. If I dont get any answers from xrays and maybe a future mri about what is causing this new pain and spasms, I am expecting better med coverage. Hoping for that, and have had no problems in the area as of yet. They basically thought I was stable. After a year and when they think you are stable, you start to see the PA's. Then you see the dr every 3rd visit. Since I am having new pain or returned pain I am seeing dr next time. The pa gave me a choice of her or him so I thought he would be more apt, or may have to be one to do a dosage change if necessary. I have been happy w/ Fent and hydro so far and would like to stay there and if necessary and possible just go up on dosage. We will see, but I will keep that in mind. Know there are many in Roanoke and one I have heard of in Lynchburg that do procedures as well as meds. The one at hospital in Lynchburg puts you thru ringer before you get meds as does the one at UVA. I am now at Comprehensive Pain Mgt.
Thanks,
shannon

Last edited by shananava; 08-25-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

I've heard good things about them, especially the lead Doc, so I'm not sure I would leave. If things are going fairly well, then you have far more to lose than to gain. Additionally, I've always wondered about how one changes Docs (just because one wants a change, not due to a move, clinic closing, or whatever). I think there would be a ton of questions as well as speculation.

I think I would just be upfront about a possible dosage increase on the fent. I've always had good success with the patch. When was the last time you were increased? Are you changing every 48 or 72? I noticed big improvement when I went to the 48.

If they do adjust your LA med, you will be asked to return in 2 weeks in order to monitor your change, which is a good thing.

Good luck and take care,

Ex

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
(female)

shananava HB User

I was on 25 the first month, upped to 50 i think the next month. Then the schedule was changed to every 48 I think the next month. This all started about year ago after all my testing/injections led me to looking for my surgeon that did my fusion in January at UVA. I am hoping the dr will do something tuesday. I was in pain before I picked my patches up Friday and its been bad ever since. Havent done anything to irritate it but am tired of hurting. I have been in bed alot so I need something to give, get up as much as I can as not to get too stiff. I have read many articles about Dr Sam, the lead dr. The only time I have seen him personally was my discogram where my dr observed him doing the procedure. Thanks
Shannon

Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananava View Post
I am hoping the dr will do something tuesday.
As in today, or next Tuesday? Please let me know how it goes. I think you have to just be upfront with them....After all, it's been about a year since you've had any changes.

I think in PM, a lot of it comes down to one's "reputation" @ one's respective clinic....Once you are established and have a good history (no missed apts, no early re-fills, no problems with UAs & etc), they are much more likely to work with you than otherwise.

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
(female)

shananava HB User

My next appt is next Tuesday. I have never had any problems except for a few pharmacy issues that were out of my control and documented by the pharmacy. I will let you know.
Shannon

Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

I think things will be fine. I've heard good things about them, and Dr. Sam is a great guy...Kinda quiet, but a great compassionate Doc.

The pharmacy issues you've experienced are nothing that others haven't had as well. Big insurance companies dictate medicine these days and thus, there are all sorts of inventory issues with lots of meds....And, the Docs all know this.

I'd be surprised if things don't work out for you....I really will.

Take care,

Ex

Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #15
(female)

shananava HB User

I went to dr on Tuesday. He wants a TF ESI on the 25th. I asked if my meds could be working less due to time I had been on them. I did SI injections before patch was added last year. Who knows? I am wondering how the ESI will go w/ my fusion at L5S1. The ESI is for L5. I'll have to do my research.
Shannon

Closed Thread