It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Meds and keeping tabs on the progression of conditions/diseases

Hi all, I started to post this in the PM section but decided to post it here so that people could talk about their own experiences as well as giving advice [hopefully, I've understood one of the differences betw. the two boards].

My question is whether or not medication has 'covered up' conditions that are progressing,if it has led you to monitor them less closely, or take fewer precautions to avoid pain [and possible worsening of the condition]? This is probably applicable to some conditions but not others.

I'm not sure how to assess this issue when my meds are covering the pain. I'm curious if other people have had similar issues with health problems that progress slowly [or rapidly] where the severity of the problem is guaged, at least in part, by pain. If a pk is covering this up, how do you know?

Last edited by Confused089; 08-31-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Meds and keeping tabs on the progression of conditions/diseases

Confused,

I have learned, over the years, to be able to distinguish the difference between a worsening of my condition(s) and tolerance. I think it all comes down to really listening to your body.

For instance, if I am having what are more like withdrawl symptoms, that continue for a couple of weeks, and I've been on the same doses of my meds for an extended period of time, I generally assume it is tolerance. If on the other hand I start having new symptoms or a very specific increase in one of my many types of pain, but none of the w/d symptoms, I then assume it is worsening of my condition(s). Increased pain from over-doing it for a couple of days is usually a good indicator that my pain issues also might have worsened, at least temporarily. In those cases I will give it a bit of time to see if rest will improve things.

Hope this makes sense and/or helps answer your question. Take care. I wish you peace, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

shananava HB User

I am basically at the same point now, having tests to see if I have a new or returned problem or if med tolerance is my issue. I had my issues of fibro and DDD way before it was diagnosed. I was overweight and told lose weight and it will go away. After I lost over 100 it was still there and now after 185 lost its still there. It may have actually cushioned some of the pain , though Im glad Im not toting it around. Probably would be wheeling it around, not walking IMO and some of my drs too. Best wishes.
S

Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Shana,
I think Cmpgirl explained all very well; I agree with all she said.
I want to add how proud I am of you that you lost so much weight. I can imagine how much hard work you put into this.
DDD is a condition we all leave with since age 25; our joints, spine starts to change at age 25, for some even earlier. DDD, Stenosis,Atrthirities - conditions which come with territory.
With aging those conditions usually progress, especially in non-active people. Excercising, active way of life, yoga - all helps to put progress of DDD on hold. Loosing weight is step #1 to change your life to better and to become more active.
Just make sure, please, you get enough nutrution for your bones, for your body. Good supplements (not the cheap ones though which may do more harm than helping you) can contribute to your healthy life style...

Best of luck to you and keep up with a good job!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
(female)

shananava HB User

Thanks. I should have added that I had a ruptured disk that I had fusion on in January. Thats what I mean about a returned problem, or a problem that didnt fix. Dont know how long it was messed up as there was no testing done. Duhh! That kind of day.
Shannon

Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Cmpgrl,

Thanks - that was an excellent explanation and way to look at pain, meds, and the progression of conditions.

Shanavava [guessing b/c I don't have your screen name in front of me - wow - a serious congratulations on the weight loss. that is *so* impressive!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and thoughts.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

shananava HB User

Thanks confused, I had weight loss surgery. Never thought I would have all these problems after that. Wasnt in my plan but who would plan this. Hope u get some answers.
S

Closed Thread