It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User
I am back

Well ya'll this has really been one heck of a summer - My back pain started getting a bit different 3-4 weeks ago - One night I got up and was hurting so badly I just stood in one place crying - My husband got me to the car and off to the emergency room - I had a large stone that had been blocking my left ureter up to my kidney and my left kidney had shut down -the nephrologist came in and told me I was going into renal failure - I was hurting so badly I could not lie down on the stretcher - they were having problems giving me the dilaudid as my blood pressure was 70/30 - what a nightmare!!!!!!! this is the worse thing that has ever happened to me - they told me the pain was from the damage to the kidney plus the stone was moving - well after a couple of weeks of pure hell, I am finally home and better -praise the Lord!!
the lack of compassion during this time was unbelieveable - I would have given a million dollars to have had the compassion team (Chrissy and CmpGirl) around - My husband put his foot up a few behinds when things got too bad

I have sure missed ya'll and will try to catch up with what is going on - I am so glad to be home - I wanted to talk to all of you so badly
love you all huggs Aver

Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Re: I am back

Dang, Aver, That's too bad.
Thank God I have never had a kidney stone but I've been with my friends at the er with theirs. That's a horrible pain. I'm so sorry you got little compassion while there and I'm glad that you're home again. Take it easy for awhile. ok?~Mush

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Welcome back! I feel like I need to play that song from "Welcome back Kotter"...."Welcome back......we got him on the spot and we love em a lot.....Welcome back."

Sorry to hear about your stone....Sounds very, very painful. Hope things are better now.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Aver!

I'm so glad you're back! I was really starting to wonder what had happened! I am so sorry you went through such a horrid ordeal, and to have nasty hospital staff is so much worse. When I was taking care of my mom and my aunt all those years, they had several hospital stays between them and I swear the nurses on certain floors would cringe when they saw me get off the elevator. Glad your husband put his foot to some use!! Mine would have been the same way. He's nornally the quiet type, but when pushed beyond that point of no return, watch out!

I really hope you're feeling better and that each day brings abit more relief and recovery. How did they do with your CP coverage? Did they stay on top of it? (or was that one of the things that had hubby hopping mad?) I know that has to be one of the bigger fears for us CPers. I haven't been in the hospital for any reason since I started having all of my pain issues, but I have always been a bit concerned about what would happen if I did.

Anyway, I'm so happy to hear from you. I hope you are resting and getting waited on hand and foot. Make sure to take good care of yourself and post when you feel up to it, OK? Great big bunches of hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Aver~~wow!

What an ordeal!

I am so sorry to hear of the stone. I have had those before and they for sure are no fun. Its to bad that some people really should not be in the medical profession when they are not a compassionate soul.!..
I am with cmp on everything she said! I hope you are feeling better soon and that things will settle down for you.
Lots of Hugs!
CHrissy

Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Aver,

Looks like we may have shared some of our summer experiences.

My doc believes I may have passed a kidney stone or two a couple of weeks ago. My pain was nowhere near what you've described, but I can at least sympathize. I am so sorry you were treated badly Aver. Lack of compassion, or downright hostility seems to be spreading. I've read about and heard about so many who have been mistreated. What is happening to our society that people can be so cold and heartless?

It's good to have you back. I've got Ex's theme song rattling around in my head now and I'll get her for that :-)

Thanks for posting.

steve

Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Aver, oh my goodness, you poor thing! How painful.

Your note just goes to show that as cpers we need an advocate with us in the hospital 24/7. Some nurses and doctors sit in judgement of cpers and just do not understand the wrath of pain we live in and our need for adequate pain control.

I hope that you are doing much better and will soon be back chatting with us good as new.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Thanks ya'll - I really do love you lots

With my pain control, my doctor requested that my oxy stay the same but for b/t pain, he ordered 2-6 mg of Dilaudid every 3 hours - the pain was so awful (apparently, with the kidney shut down comes a great deal of pain) that I was really needing the dilaudid but my blood pressure was down because of shock - the doctor said he has a number of patients go into shock with this type of pain - he explained to the nurse it was not due to dilaudid but that I had to be monitored closely - I am in the ICU and the nurse says "I do not care what he says, she is on too much medicine and that is why her pressure has bottomed out" , this was a comment to another nurse for me to just overhear - she came back into my room and said to me that as long as my blood pressure was 70/30 I would not be getting anything - well good old hubby said "it has not been taken in 30 minutes and if you are so concerned about it why have you not rechecked it" he then picked up the phone and called the doctor - it was quite a fiasco and one that I am glad is over - hopefully this will never happen again
love you all huggs Aver

Last edited by Aver00; 08-26-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Aver, I just get livid when some nurses believe that they know better than the doctor or even the patients, sometimes. Many of us have been dealing with our pain for a long time and we have a pretty good idea of what is working for us, and what isn't. For a medical professional to treat us like idiots, is such a degrading and disrespectful experience.

I am not usually a vindictive person, but I sometimes wish that these people could live in our bodies and feel our pain, even for a short time. Maybe then, they'd stop thinking like egocentric clinicians and start acting like caring, compassionate human beings.

It's great that hubby was there to make things happen, because when a patient is in excruciating pain, the last thing we have the strength for is to try and deal with people who can't seem to pull their heads out of "you know where".

I'm just so glad you are home now, and this awful ordeal is essentially over. Please continue to rest up and I'll be praying for you, as always. Love and hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Aver, Oh my, I feel so bad that you had to go through that ordeal. I cant say that I have had stones but have heard that its worse the labor, thats enough to make me sweat,lol.
I am just getting to the point I have not tolerance for anyone who chooses to work in the medical field & have no compassion, for goodness sakes if we all have heard stories of how painful stones are then I am sure the nurses know to, I am glad your husband got on the phone.
My husband speaks with my PM & does not he-ho like I do. I just got the same treatment from my GPs office so I understand & I am of the same mind as cmp, sometimes you would like the person to step in your body for a visit.
Anyway I am glad your home & I hope you have some better days ahead. Was wondering about you. Take care & god bless, Sammy

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Thanks everyone for the kind words - I keep reflecting on Steve's remark on the growing lack of compassion that is becoming prevalent - I have always felt that kindness and compassion are the most important ingredients in the build up of our character - I sometimes see that even my own children do not value those things as I do - they are all wonderful kind adults but they do not get their panties in a wad, as I do, when they witness some of the things going on around them - I sure wish that we could do something about this!!!
cmpgrl and chrissy can do a weekend symposium on how to talk to people - wouldn't that be great
huggs Aver

Old 09-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Aver!
Ive missed you, girl! sorry I have been AWOL...Ive been thinkg about you and hopiing you are ok. Im glad to see you back~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

hey Girl - I do not know about you but with me if I am gone a few days I feel like I am in a whole new world but I am going to try to do some reading here tonight and try and catch up - as always I love to hear from you
huggs Aver

Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Aver,

I am with Steve on the lack of compassion. Beign that I truly deep down with in all of my being want to be a nurse..I can tell you there a many many of them out there that are in the position of a nurse or other helath care professiional for that matter...not really considering their role as a "servant' so-to-speak for a patient. They are their as a part of another persons HEALTH and would not like to be treated the wasy they treat others. This is a growing concern! Why? Well I personally feel that there are many reasons, stigmas put onto certain patients, overworked doctors and nurses and the biggest of all in my opinion is people who the general compassion for human health and life.

Aver I hope that your feeling better and thigs are going smoother for you. I do promise to come back on as soon as I can!! Please know I am always praying for everyone here.
Chrissy

Closed Thread