It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Dealing with CP and privacy issues at work...

I've been thinking about this for a while and would like to get other peoples ideas on it. I work in an office where there are cubicles and minimal privacy for making/receiving phone calls etc. Technically cell phone aren't supposed to be left on. How do you handle making/receiving phone calls from the Dr/Nurse/Pharmacy? Making calls I can take my cell outside at lunch, but return calls are a problem. This is becoming an issue for me since I have a very nosey/gossipy neighbor. What triggered this was having to take the return call from the Dr's office about my script on my desk phone last week, and then when I got here yesterday it looked like my desk had been searched. I later learned that nosey/gossipy neighbor had been in over the weekend. My supervisor knows about the incident, but since there are people on this floor 24/7 365 days a year there is no way to be sure, plus cleaning crews every evening. I already keep all drawers locked at all times due to security regulations, but I'm wondering how others handle the phone situation.

Tigg.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

shananava HB User
Re: Dealing with CP and privacy issues at work...

Could you ask that personal return phone calls be tranferred to a private phone? The last office I worked in messages had to be taken as I worked in a call center. Know if its the dr will hard to get him back on phone, but maybe not the nurse or pharmacy. Hope it works out for you. Hope bosses will work with you due to hippaa laws.
S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

We really don't have anywhere that is what I would call private other than conference rooms, and they are usually being used. The company is big enough that unless you're at the executive level the phone system is automated and incoming calls are to a direct number. I think I'm probably going to have to get the OK to leave my cell on when I need to. That would let me get up and go somewhere out of earshot of others. Since it doesn't have a camera function there shouldn't be a security issue with it. My bosses aren't a problem. I think what's got me freaked out is that my desk was gone thru. I don't think it was the cleaning staff either - too much stuff was moved for one of them to have accidentially moved it. That does happen now and then but you can tell that stuff was just slid one way or the other. I didn't have anything private on my desk, but it still bothers me.

Tigg.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am sorry you have had this invasion of privacy. I think you would have a very fine line because you don't even want your employer to know every detail of your medical condition. I would almost accept the phone call and then ask them if they could call you back at a specific time on your cell phone and then when they call I would get up and take a potty break then.

Does your job allow you the flexibility to take a break/lunch break at a specific time? If so, could you doctor call during this time period? My insurance company does telephone appts and they call within 10 minutes of an appt time.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Hey Tigg - HIPPA laws aren't going to apply to this but I think you came up with the solution your self - Get permission to leave your cell phone on (most are probably doing it anyway) and that you will only answer those specific calls that relate to your medical problem - tell them you will try and make any answering of the calls as descreetly as possible to not disturb noisy neighbors and when you get your call step into a quiet spot - stairwell, hallway, closet etc.......... good luck with this one because you do need to keep your privacy at work huggs Aver

Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post

I think you would have a very fine line because you don't even want your employer to know every detail of your medical condition. I would almost accept the phone call and then ask them if they could call you back at a specific time on your cell phone and then when they call I would get up and take a potty break then.

Does your job allow you the flexibility to take a break/lunch break at a specific time? If so, could you doctor call during this time period? My insurance company does telephone appts and they call within 10 minutes of an appt time.
I would agree with Pepper....You cannot let ANY of your private medical information leak into your employment. Trust me on this....Not only will people "gossip" about your situation, which then will create an untold amt of stress and aggravation, but medical conditions will be held against you as an employee. Many companies today have policies re: taking meds on company property and/or working while on the influence. Simply put, they are concerned about you making any decisions while on pain meds.

Additionally, if you were to lose your job somehow (not necessarily over this issue), you'd more than likely have a tough time finding another one because most employers today administer pre-employment drug screens. And as you can imagine, anything that shows up in the narcotic family will probably eliminate you as a viable candidate.

I don't mean to scare you, but rather emphasize how important of an issue this is....Please use extreme caution. Do whatever you have to do to maintain your confidentiality....Even if it means causing you inconvenience.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 08-26-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My concern is not so much the company as the snoop next door. My supervisor and manager are aware of my situation in general terms and are more than willing to work with me. I am going to try to get the Ok to use my cell. I will just have to leave the room if I'm in a meeting or something and it rings. I don't use it for receiving calls at other times so I should be Ok there. Asking to be called back at a specific time probably won't happen, most Dr's offices won't do that, they call when they get around to it. Also I'm not guarnteed I can take lunch at a specific time, I usually take lunch at whatever time I want, but there are days (ok sometimes weeks) where I end up working through lunch.

Tigg.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post

My concern is not so much the company as the snoop next door.
I see what you're saying, but in reality, when the snoop next door spreads it all over creation, it then becomes a company issue. IMHO, this "snoop" needs to be enemy #1....You must protect yourself as the damage can be extensive.

Quote:

My supervisor and manager are aware of my situation in general terms and are more than willing to work with me.
This is good, but I'd still lay low with my intimate details. You just never know when stuff could be used against you @ some point....I've seen it with downsizing & etc.

Quote:

I am going to try to get the Ok to use my cell. I will just have to leave the room if I'm in a meeting or something and it rings. I don't use it for receiving calls at other times so I should be Ok there.
Yes, I think that should probably be the plan. And if someone asks what's going on, you could say that you've got a friend that needs help or something like that.

Good luck, and take care,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

Confused089

You thread has been relocated to a new thread of its own so that your post may receive the attention it deserves. In the future, please do not post your questions/problems on anothers thread. It takes away from the orginators thread and your post can unintentionally hijack their thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Mod 08

Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I see what you're saying, but in reality, when the snoop next door spreads it all over creation, it then becomes a company issue. IMHO, this "snoop" needs to be enemy #1....You must protect yourself as the damage can be extensive.
Ex,

Thats an excellent description. So far as the cell goes I can probably just say I need it for a family member to be able to get ahold of me in an emergency. As long as it doesn't disturb anyone and I've asked first, they can say they've followed company policy.

Tigg.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Tigg, Is it possible to just keep it on vibrate? Even if you have to be away from your desk, if you have it in a pocket, etc. you should still "feel" it when someone calls. This way, there won't be any "ringing" to disturb (or tip off) any nosy neighbors. Don't you wonder, sometimes, why people can't seem to mind their own business.

Too bad you can't leave something "really shocking" in or on your desk, so the next time this person snoops around they would get the shock of their life. Maybe a phony "copy" of a memo, from the bosses, asking you personal questions about her. Something that would make her think that the bosses had some concerns about her. Maybe that would teach her a lesson! (I doubt very highly that the boss would be on board with something like that though) But wouldn't it be sweet revenge? (I know, I'm baaaaad. )

Good luck with everything. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post

Too bad you can't leave something "really shocking" in or on your desk, so the next time this person snoops around they would get the shock of their life. Maybe a phony "copy" of a memo, from the bosses, asking you personal questions about her. Something that would make her think that the bosses had some concerns about her. Maybe that would teach her a lesson! (I doubt very highly that the boss would be on board with something like that though) But wouldn't it be sweet revenge? (I know, I'm baaaaad. )
Here's what I would do if you really feel like she's snooping a lot, or going through your stuff......I would leave a manilla file folder out on your desk and on the tab mark "confidential" very visibly. Then, inside I would have one piece of paper typed up and it would say something like "The whole office knows you are a snoop....Please stop! Thank you"! That would teacher her a lesson...I'm sure she'd be one and done. Also, this way, you're not calling her out by name or whatever, and she may think that it's for someone else, but in the back of her mind, she'll know its for her.

Good luck with your issue....I really feel for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cmp,

I'll keep the phone on vibrate, that way it won't disturbe anyone. I'm in the process of removing anything from the desktop that isn't company property (computer manuals and that kind of stuff). I will keep the folder idea in mind for future use . Hopefully there being nothing but manuals and a pencil and paper on the desk will get the point across.

Tigg.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Here's what I would do if you really feel like she's snooping a lot, or going through your stuff......I would leave a manilla file folder out on your desk and on the tab mark "confidential" very visibly. Then, inside I would have one piece of paper typed up and it would say something like "The whole office knows you are a snoop....Please stop! Thank you"
This is exactly what I was thinking! I think most people know that snooping is wrong, and they might feel appropriate embarrassment and stop (at least for a while).

Closed Thread