It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

shelby3195 HB User
Smile Update on change over of pain medication's:Pepper, you're in here too!

Top of the day to all of you~

I just wanted to give you an update of my change over of med's from Mscontin 30 mgs to Oxycontin 20 mgs 3 times daily. It's probably too soon to notice any change's seeing I just started today, but I was wondering if it's possible to have perhaps a few withdrawals with the change? I've had this horrible headache all day and a little shaky, but I also don't feel much of a difference either with my pain level.

I know alot of you take your medication at certain intervals throughout the day if you're on 3 or even 4 time's daily...so my next question would be, at what interval do I take the Oxycontin, and lets say within an hr, if I feel I'm not well medicated, should I add a breakthrough med to help the ease of the pain and perhaps symptoms of withdrawals, if thats what I'm feeling? My Lord, was that a long sentence or what?/!lol!!!

After reading some of Pepper's posts today, I'm alot like her with the type A personality, where I want everything done YESTERDAY and all the pain gone NOW...if possible...hehehe..I know myself it will take longer than a day, but it sounds like Pepper's doing wonderfully....which I'm extremely happy(If I could only jump for joy over her success I would).....but I believe it might have taken her a full week perhaps to feel so much better with the increase of her medication...and I want to feel as good as her...lol!!

Anyhoo...I know a few of you wanted to know my little story of the change over and how I was feeling...which I appreciate your imput greatly...and if you could give me some info about how many hr's let's say, between the dosage's and the timing of adding the b/t med as I'm still adjusting to the new med and dosage?/!
I hope all of you lovely people are enjoying this delightful day with less pain today than yesterday~
Have a sparkling day,
And thank you for any of your imput you might beable to give me~
Shelby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Update on change over of pain medication's:Pepper, you're in here too!

Hey Shelby,

I can't speak for everyone, of course, and I actually take 20mg oxycontin 4x/day, but when I took it 3x I would generally try to get it as close to 8 hours apart as possible. As far as BT meds, I have been at this so long, that I tend to know just what kinds of activity will cause me to need some extra coverage, so I will usually take a BT just before I know I'm going to be physically more active. Sort of a preventative dose, if you will.

Even if you don't have the experience of knowing what might be ahead, just yet, I would suggest that if you have been more active than usual and even begin to start to feel an elevation in your pain level, that would be the time to take a BT. The point is to not wait until your pain has skyrocketed. By then, it probably won't help much.

A headache and some shaking are common side effects when there's been a med change. I don't think it's w/d though, because oral oxycodone is generally 2x stronger than oral morphine. If anything, you are now taking a higher daily dose of meds than with the mscontin. The side effects are more about the body adjusting to a new dose and a new class of meds. This should disipate in a day or 2. You can probably take a couple of ibuprofen, if your tummy tolerates it. And try to eat something with your meds, too.

Hang in there and try not to over-do. Give your body some time to adjust. I know it's hard for "type A" people, but I'm sure you can do it. Take care and rest up. Let us know how you're doing, OK? God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Shelby - I don't know how your weekend went - I remember that you were *not* in a good place at 6 pm Friday b/c of the prescription problem. Were you able to scrounge up enough meds to take your regular dose throughout teh weekend? If not, some of what you are feeling now could be from being under-medicated over the weekend. I would think that this would disappear pretty quickly however.

I too hope to hear another Pepper story here! Keep checking in. I was worried about you this weekend!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shelby, my friend, my first few days on an increase of oxy cause me the worst of all headaches. Don't be suprised if you just need to lay on that couch and chill. I suspect it has nothing to do with ms contin/withdrawals.
I also experience a feeling of ill health for the first couple of days.

As far as bt meds, what did they give you? I am not allowed to take BT. If I absolutely need something, I am allowed 10 mg. of oxycontin.

Shelby, I hope you get as much relief as I do from the oxycontin just remember easy does it. What I like most about it is that I do not feel sedated at all.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Thank you Sweetie~
Yes you're correct, I didn't have anything but a couple of breakthrough meds left to keep me from going through total withdrawal or whatever! But I got my script very early this morning after I called my PM Dr who had to write it out, seeing my pcp hadn't made it back from his vacation in time to come to work Monday as planned...another "just my luck"!!!

Gosh...I sure was hurting...I have so much empathy for those who have no help with their pain control at all!!!!I have been very fortunate to get the help I needed over the last few years, now my only wish is that everyone who needs pain control can get the treatment they need some day!! I know I sure don't want to go through that again...ever!!!

So, now I'm on my 2nd Oxycontin pill and will take my last one later tonight....but I did or still do have some weird feelings that I'm sure went along with going without for almost 3 1/2 days....and on top of that I worked the whole weekend at 12 hr shifts!! Then a half day today...I had to come home mostly because of that headache I had and a few of those funny feelings left over...Oh.... and some very strange nightmare's the last couple of nights when I slept...which wasn't much, I might add...lol!!

Now that I have both the Oxycontin's and the Oxy Ir's for b/t, I figured after reading some more on the board here, I should start to feel better maybe by tomorrow?/! And please...no more nightmare's....brings back too many bad memories....lol!!!

I'm with you...I hope Pepper come's and posts something....I'm SO happy for her and for the relief she's getting...and what is it about shoes? Hehehehe...Good for her...more power to her and what makes her happy makes me happy!!!
Thank you so much for your concern's and well wishe's..it means alot to me: Priceless as always!!!!!
Hugs,
Shelby

Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shelby we must have posted at the same time. See my post before your post.

I wanted to add that I too experienced some real vivid scary dreams the first few large increases on oxy. They were so bad that no one could wake me up and I would sob and flail in the dreams so forewarn your significant other/spouse that this is natural and common with oxy.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Shelby, going w/o your meds for 3.5 days is definitely having an influence on how you're feeling now. Your body went through a double "shock." First withdrawal, and then a switch to a different med. Your blood levels haven't had a chance to stabilize yet and it may take a little longer b/c of the withdrawal over the weekend. I think things will get progressively better from here on out [though you may have some bumps along the way as your body adjusts]. I'm very glad you were able to get your scrip and get started!! Keep us posted...

Closed Thread