It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Dealing with work...

Ok, y'all are frightening me a bit (actually, I was already anxious...;-). Ex. too late for me. I believe I have mentioned in other posts that I was extremely naive when I "re-entered" the 'world' approximately a year and a half after my accident. I was not discreet and learned to keep my mouth shut the hard way. However, the damage remains - the person who has the most influence on my ability to get a job and my career knows far too much. I am looking for work and have some questions about how to handle the issue with future employers - both during the hiring process and afterwards.

I do not plan to tell future employers much, if anything before I am hired. My PM, who may not understand ADA very well, said something to the effect that I will need to find a very understanding employer, especially since this is a pre-existing condition. I'm not sure what planet she's living on - I don't think there is such a thing as a "very understanding" employer - you can make yourself worth enough to the employer so that they may become more understanding, but no one [ADA notwithstanding] wants an employee with a medical issue or disability. I am going to need to explain the gap in my resume and the time off - However, I will probably have to tell employers I was in an accident since my boss knows all the details and there are obvious signs - a gap in work, and other signs that I have had to take substantial time off. My disability is partially visible as well, though no one would know if it was recent or old. Any advice on how to handle the medical issues as I look for work? I have written "functional" or "skills" resumes rather than chronological ones, but I am still going to have to do some explaining.

What have people done when they have needed to take time off work to adjust to a med switch, or to comply with one of their doctor's 'suggestions,' such as an ESI, etc...?

How in the world do you explain you have a doctor's appt. once a month on the same day which can't be changed even if there is an important meeting, or something else you are expected to attend at the same time you have your PM appt. This one really stumps me!

How have you handled excessive pain at work? If you can't work b/c of the pain, do you give another reason?

As a CP'er, how *hard* do you think it is to pick up and move to take a job in a different city? I have really wondered how mobile I can be given the need to establish PM wherever I go. I'd prefer to stay where I am, but I may have to move for work if I can't find something where I live. Would you try to find a PM dr. *before* accepting a job elsewhere {this would call for some remarkable coordination, particularly if it entailed moving to a different state!], or how would you handle this? I'm truly hoping this won't be necessary.

BTW, for anyone who has advice, no worries, I would not tell them about the medication - as I said, I learned that lesson the hard way (!).

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Dealing with CP and privacy issues at work...

Confused.....I think your situation will work itself out once you finish your training...What kind of training is this btw....Sounds intense.

Re: applying for jobs, I would just be upfront and say that he gap in your resume was due to an accident and you had some recovery time, but things are fine now....In no way would I talk about any limitations whatsoever. If there are any, let them come out on their own over time....A company will work with you after the fact....But, may not if they know ahead of time.

Re: the appts, again, I would let that work itself out. I feel the Doc will work with you once you explain everything and in terms of your employer, I would either schedule the appts first thing or late in the day to minimize your disruption. Once your hired and start, I would just explain very minimally that you have follow up appts you have to attend to ensure all is well...Nothing more. I would think that most people would be compassionate about your accident...As long as you don't get into many details.

I think your trainer/boss will provide you with a reasonable reference because after all, she wants you out of there and to get hired. If this doesn't happen, it's a reflection on her and the program to an extent. She's probably a little irritated with you for various things and that's why she does what she does.

Your bigger issue is going to be if a company drug tests prior to hiring, and if they do, you'll just have to be honest and see what happens.

Try not to worry about it right now...It will work out...No sense in putting the cart before the horse.

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User
Re: Dealing with work...

You thread has been relocated to a new thread of its own so that your post may receive the attention it deserves. In the future, please do not post your questions/problems on anothers thread. It takes away from the orginators thread and your post can unintentionally hijack their thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Mod 08

Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Confused - I too had wondered about what I might do if I wanted or needed to change jobs. I think the drug test is the big one. It is usually a routine part of most hiring processes. This is really a tough one, and I can appreciate how hard this must be for you. I think the best you can do is be upfront, and assure them that your recovery and pain are well-controlled, and you are able to perform the job duties. I have had a very hard time controlling my pain at work. To date I have not been successful (although I am working on it). My immediate boss is very understanding. He told me that his wife has a chronic pain condition and needs to take narcotics every day. I did not say anything to him one way or the other about what medications I was taking, because you just never know. He has allowed me so much flexibility in my schedule for appointments, and leaving early if the pain is just too great.

There is a chance that you could find a sympathetic new boss. I can't recall where you live, but if you live in a large urban area, you want to cast your net wide so you can increase the chances that you will find someone who is willing to work with you.

I have hired quite a few people, and I have never been too concerned about a gap in employment experience. I would certainly accept an explanation that someone had an accident. I am more concerned with the person's ability to do the job, their ability to learn new skills, and how well they would fit in with our agency's culture.

Do you think you will have many job prospects after your training?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I think Toonces has given you some excellent advice. Her experience and willing to share is much appreciated. I agree 100% with her in that a reasonable gap is very explainable, especially for an accident. If anything, it may work in your favor. I wouldn't tell them anything more than I had to however. There are very understanding bosses out there (like Toonces) but that is the exception.

I think once you get to know someone better and you prove yourself, then you're in a good position to ask for exceptions (and will probably get them no problem). In the beginning, however, you are not. Also, I think smaller, more family oriented companies have a culture where they are more likely to work with you.......While large fortune 500 companies are less likely (and more cut throat).

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Confused,

I understand your concerns, but have you ever thought of a position working from home? Before you start snickering or rolling your eyes, it's very different these days in the home based arena. There are a lot more legit, challenging jobs that are now being done from a work at home environment.

If you do a little research (which I know you are very good at) I think you'd be very surprised at what you'll find.

Just a suggestion. Take from it what you will. I know that Social Security recently sent out info on home based employment to SSDI recipients, and the jobs are not as telemarketers. Many require a BA and I even saw one requiring an MBA.

Hang in there, CMP/MM

Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Seriously, thank you for all the support and great suggestions. I am less likely to be drug tested in my field. Everything is up in the air right now b/c my pain isn't under control.

Hoping to get a little sleep before the w/ds from the conversion get too bad. I'll be calling the dr. tomorrow. This could be tough b/c she seemed pretty certain about her PDA conversions..

Thanks so much for the support and the ideas.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Wow I never looked at some of the issues as a whole. I am self employed which is good & bad. Meaning I dont have alot of help when I need it. I still have to explain why I need time off & so forth.
I do not discuss my meds, although they know I take meds they do not know what I take. I would rather do alittle explaining without going into to much detail then look like I am not dependable. I have realized this will in all reality be my last clients. As I am not physically able to do to much so I will not be desirable to a company.
I try to make appointments on my days off or before or after. Some offices understand & try to accomadate & others dont.
I do let them know I am in PM that is why I go so often & we are working on a plan to help me function better, that is all I am willing to say. That way I dont have to constantly go over why I have ESIs (time off for) & so on.

I make up for it in other areas, meaning I work my butt off at things I can do. I still have to work as hard as I can no matter what & reconize my limits at the same time. It can be a fine line. I will admitt that I am the type A personality we were discussing so if the day comes I cant work it will be one of the toughest things for me to deal with, so I dont think about it much.
I will say it is hard, really really hard, but its what I have to do & I have to make choices. I am going to try in the near future to take one full week off, just give my body some time. Make sure you really take care.
I dont know your line of work but physical or mental it can be exhausting & I deal with both. Good luck, by the way very smart way to do your resume.
Sammy

Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Confused,

I understand your concerns, but have you ever thought of a position working from home? Before you start snickering or rolling your eyes, it's very different these days in the home based arena. There are a lot more legit, challenging jobs that are now being done from a work at home environment.
Cmpgirl,

Excellent point. If I were to every leave my current job (I've been here 25 years) this is likely what I would do. Given the current state of computer technology there are many very good opportunities for working from home. It's a whole new world out there and I'd be suprised if even more opportunities didn't develop in the next few years.

Tigg.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Hi my friend~
I hope you're feeling some what better today, but I haven't checked all the posts yet either to see any updates~
I just wanted to touch base with you about your job situation and about the usuage of medications. In my job, I had to take the standard blood test before being hired and when it came back positive, of course...there is a Dr from the Lab that works with this company that calls you directly telling you what he found in your system and asked for an explanation and confirms it by the pharmacy and your Dr. Then he preceeds to tell me about the infamous Hippa Law and how my employer will not know anything about my medications nor what kind I'm on, its your right as an employee!! Then this Dr notifies my employer that everything came back fine and I'm good to go to work!

Now also, I have a handicapped sticker on my car, and when I go out for my break and sit in there, some of the other employer's or manager's see that I have this sticker and can ask you questions if they like, but are not allowed by law to ask you to go into details about it or why you're handicapped. Maybe each state is different, but I believe its a basic law in all states that they can't ask what type of handicap you have...not unless it will interfere with your job performance or if you have limitations as what you can and can't do...but by then if it were to happen, you would just need a Dr's note stating what your handicap is...but they can't discriminate against you because of your handicap!!

I do hope you're day goes well, and you have heard back from the Dr, and perhaps gotten somewhere with help with your medication by now or at least before the weekend comes up.
I still have you in my thoughts and prayer's my friend~
Hugs,
Shelby

Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Confused...I'd definitely peruse what's out there, as far as working from home, if I were you...for your health's sake. I'm ABD (all but dissertation) in the Ph.D. program, and I will continue doing adjunct "professoring" (is that a word, lol??) from home, via the internet, when I graduate. Also, I have a couple of pals who have already finished (Ph.D.) and are doing great from home. There is so much out there to consider...for example, online teaching for Ph.D. educators, online engineering for those in that field, etc. Things have changed so much in all fields, due to the ability to work from anywhere there is an internet connection! I know it sounds far-fetched, but you'd be surprised if you could ever find the time to check it out.

I know you'll get straightened out soon! Your doctor MUST do something, because you shouldn't have to spend one day feeling like you're in WDs! I'll be praying for you!

Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. Running out of time and I ran out of money a long time ago. I'm sure I'll feel more optimistic when I get through this med. conversion.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Confused,

I know there is financial hardship for you at the moment, but there are programs out there, that allow tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness for certain studants who qualify. In all honesty, I would think that your "disabled" status might just open a few doors for you in this area.

My husband's uncle just fininshed his dissertation and graduated and because he did extensive research, he has $0 studant loans to repay. I'm sure that the institution you are working through would have a disabilities counselor. Most do, these days. It may not be a bad idea to look into this further.

Just a suggestion. Good Luck, CMP/MM

Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Cmpgrl, thanks. I did look into disability services and ways to get financial help- if I had talked with someone years ago, I would have been able to get more help. At this point, not much is available to me b/c of the length of time that has passed since I started (I was a "kid" then, now I'm middle-aged!). I looked for grants/scholarships for disabled students but found very little, and nothing that applied to me. Unfortunately, I was already behind schedule when I had my accident. My advisor is also far more excited about his young [and not disabled] students who can afford to to put 150% into their work and can still pull all nighters..

Yesterday was just plain lousy - I was too sick from the med. transition to go to the first mtg. of a research group, my dad told me he did not want me to spend *any* time writing b/c this would take time away from the job search, my mom joked about how I couldn't still be trying to get the degree when I was 50, and then sent me an article from a prominent newspaper featuring my advisor. All I could see was the future and career I had lost. If my advisor was behind me, he could ensure that I got a very good job. Unfortunately, I think he believes my accident has made me undependable (which is accurate given the amt. of trouble I have had w/ meds/pain since I returned). Frankly, I wish he were a no-name, little fish - he isn't going to put his rep on the line to recommend me if he doesn't think I am reliable or able to work at breakneck speed.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-01-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Address the thread to the individual - no need to copy the quote. It takes up unnecessary space on the server.

Closed Thread