It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Tip / Reminder for CPers

Hello all....I know we all have our good days and bad days....Seems like a lot of us have some issues right now. I just wanted to remind everyone of something that you probably already know, but forget like I do.....Try to exercise or whatever your body will allow you to do in order to keep your natural endorphins flowing.

Do you ever have those days where you just don't feel right, but you're not really in a lot of pain, but there is something going on with your body...Maybe in between doses....Some minor WDs? Well, I had one of those days yesterday, and was very tempted to increase the qty of my BT med, but decided to go for a brisk walk instead. Not only did it make me feel better immediately (I didn't need my med), but I was even able to skip a dose. Conversely, had I given into temptation and taken an extra BT dose, my body risks being "accustomed" to that new dose and may want it again the next day or whatever....All part of physical dependance that we battle.

Just thought I'd remind everyone.....Not all have the same physical capabilities, but if there is something you can do to get your natural endorphins flowing, it will help a lot.

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Tip / Reminder for CPers

Excellent post Ex.

There are other activities that stimulate endorphins as well. Watch a funny movie, one that makes you laugh. Get a nice massage, not deep tissue, just relaxing. Eat a good meal. Acupuncture san stimulate the production of endorphins. The two exercises that stimulate the highest release of endorphins are running and swimming. And swimming is a great exercise for many of us. Capsaicin (active chemical in red chili peppers) also has been shown to stimulate endorphin release. Many use it topically for inflammation. And, of course, sex causes the release of endorphins.

You can run, walk, swim, watch movies, eat - you name it, but it is important in our battle against pain. And Ex's example of bypassing a BT med dose is outstanding.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

good reminder

Last winter I had uncontrollable pain before I had surgery. The only thing that kept me out of the emergency room was brisk walks. My husband, bless his heart, would walk as far and as long as I needed to until I could go to bed and take my Ambien. Even when it was well below freezing, we would just walk and walk.

I don't like to walk at night by myself, but when my husband is not working, walking is usually my first line of defense for BT pain. Of course, at some point I need to get home and try to do something, but it really helps. I told my husband that if I could hook up a treadmill in the living room with a little desk, I would do work all night.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks Ex & Steve, I was just thinking about that. I used to ride alot & really miss it. I tried swimming but cant use that arm or either at times. At least for now or I will spasm. I was looking at the treadmill, yes just looking, & thinking well if I start out slow I wont have to hang on. I dont like to sit much, so am often moving, but not any good exercise. I love to laugh & seem to be able to get others to do so, but I will admitt these last couple weeks I really dont feel like laughing much. I am going to keep this in mind. I really miss mowing the lawn & things like that, & I alway felt great after busting my butt doing all the physical work I used to do.
What is the red chili pepper you are talking about Steve, the topical form?
I use peppermint, wintergreen (oils), which I love & am trying new when soon as I get it via mail. I am willing to give most every topical a try. I will say I am a big user of ice, even over moist heat.
Anyway thanks, I needed to be reminded of these things, which I knew but just have let it all go. I will say again, in my line of work I tell my clients all of this but am ashamed at times when I forget to take my own advice.
Got any big ones for stress? Sure the same would apply, but I need someone to pull out the big guns these last few days, lol. Sammy

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post

I was looking at the treadmill, yes just looking, & thinking well if I start out slow I wont have to hang on.
Treadmills are great because you can set the pace to something that is comfortable to you, they offer a good cushioned base, and you can stop @ any point and not worry about getting home. If you go this route, start slow and work your way up. In order to get your endorphins moving, all you need to do is get your heart rate up a bit...You don't have to conduct some huge, long winded workout.

Give it a try and report back.

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Great advice Ex.

I have been trying to do this very thing lately because my current BT meds aren't worth the paper that the instructions are printed on. I know I'll have a better generic in about 10 days time, because the pharm ordered it for me, but in the meantime, I have tried very hard not to take my full alotted dose every day.

I do find that you really need to have a good base dose, in order to be able to be active though. So, Sammy, you might not want to beat yourself up too much right now, about not getting any exercise. You're lucky you can even walk right now, honey. So, let's wait and see how things go, after you get your LA meds.

Many of my pain issues are due to my fascia and muscles being damaged and atrophied, so a brisk walk really isn't in the cards for me anymore. But just an even paced walk in the fresh air can help. I also love to shop and if I can find a good outdoor flea-market or craft show, I go. You'd be amazed at how much walking you do, and don't even notice because you're so busy shopping.

As my PM always says, it doesn't have to be aerobics or marathons, just get up and move. As a side benefit, it can also improve mental acuity. Don't know if it's done much for mine lately! LOL But with the meds most of us take it's never a bad idea to clear out the cobwebs once in a while.

Again, Great thread Ex! Take care everyone, CMP/MM

Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
(female)

barbie62 HB User

Thank you all for the reminder and ideas. I too love to walk albeit very slowly with a cane and my dog. I love to go to farmer's market's. Our weather has cooled way to soon so I am trying to get out when I can. I do try and walk to the park everyday and if I feel okay the blackberries are ripe for picking on the trails.

I hope that everyone is feeling better than I am.

Take care,
Barbie

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Great point(s)!

I also forgot to mention that when you partake in some light exercise, it also tends to take your mind off the situation as well.

Regards,

Ex
Yep.

I was going to mention distraction, but that doesn't necessarily raise endorphin levels, so I left it out. Thanks for mentioning it.

Sammy,

Look for Capsaicin in topical form. So long as the pain isn't deep, deep inside like abdominal adhesions it might be helpful.

steve

Old 08-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post

Many of my pain issues are due to my fascia and muscles being damaged and atrophied, so a brisk walk really isn't in the cards for me anymore. But just an even paced walk in the fresh air can help. I also love to shop and if I can find a good outdoor flea-market or craft show, I go. You'd be amazed at how much walking you do, and don't even notice because you're so busy shopping.
Yes, that would work. Any activity that raises your heart rate will produce some endorphins...Naturally. And, as you point out, everyone's capabilities are different, so we need to all find something that works for us.

Take care,

Ex

Closed Thread