It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Frustrated and kind of scared

past few weeks we seemed to have lots of named storms that came our way
Dolly Eduard and now it looks like a wide cone in the gulf as of monday tuesday again hurry up and wait to see where it goes.
My head handles the stress of it ok and i have been through tornado survived
huricanes and though my head goes ok it will be fine my body just has a hard hard time dealing with the stress of it .
I wish my head could tell my body to cut it out. The pain seems to intensify and as a result i am way laid till things calm down.
I just wish that my body wouldn't do the fall apart more when stress is happening
arrrg any please say some prayers and good thoughts for those in the coastal areas

Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Frustrated and kind of scared

Zoey,

You and all the folks in the coastal areas are definitely in my prayers. I have never lived in an area that was prone to these kinds of heavy storms. Rain and thunder and lightening are all we usually get. (Or snow, in winter) But I will say when we have the occasional high wind situation, like a Nor'Easter in the winter time, it makes me very nervous. Wind is a whole different beast, in my opinion.

Can you talk to your family doc about something for anxiety? Meds like Valium and Xanax can really help to keep things on an even keel and it doesn't take high doses or taking them every day to help. These meds can also help with muscle pain and spasms, if you have them.

Good luck to you and your family and friends. I really hope this is a mild season. Keep on letting us know how you're doing, OK? God Bless, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

cam interesting you said that i learned a totally new to me concept there is some thing called normal reactions to stress. That is not made up in one's head and when it is real happening or event you deal and make it through. For normal folks it helps spur them into action mode. However for us chronic pain folks weather happenings lower pressure does affect pain levels.My doc stated during Eduard he would not increase my low dose of xanax and amitriplene in case we had to leave he wanted me to be able to function.
Thank you for your response and understanding why we do not move. Great job market, wonderful affordable housing, that is almost paid for great neighborhood and i generally Love, except when dealing with these named storms.
The pharmacist jokingly stated when a storm is near they run out of of these two meds as many folks stock up on scripts before the event .

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

My thoughts and prayers are with all those in the projected pathway.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Oh Zoey I sure do feel for you, having family in Florida I once had my sister phone me while hiding in the bath tub during storms. So I do feel for you.

Does the weather produced from all this impact your pain along with the stress? I cant handle the damp & rainy days well, which is what it is like today. I think maybe an increase in something for anxiety may help you to.
Heck who would not be more anxious. Lots of prayers coming your way. God bless & take care, Sammy

Old 09-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
(female)

Eva32159 HB User

Hi Zo -
I'm here in Florida. Fortunately, the brunt of this storm's heading away from me. Even so, these hurricane bands extend very far out from the eye. Even for those quite far from the eye, you still experience not only weather changes (rain and wind) but pressure and humidity. I have been aching for what seems forever plus throw in an occasional migraine. These storms are stacking up like planes at the airport. I'm sure you're feeling high emotional stress but I'll bet a lot of these climatic features are playing a part too.

Preparing for these storms is hard on your body. Always so much running around... gas, bank, pharmacy, groceries, hardware store, oil change (hair and nails ???) and everywhere you go there's a line-up.

Do what you can. Do it as early as you can. Stay as prepared during the season as you can. When you've done everything you can, grab your blankie and a good book. Only watch the weather reports every few hours. These storms don't sneak up on you at the last minute like a tornado does. You'll know soon enough if you need to evacuate. If you do need to go.... you guessed it.... leave as early as you can....

In my opinion, those who suffer most are the ones who become too absorbed in the moment-by-moment hype on TV whose sole goal is to capture eyeballs. Turn it off. An update every few hours tells you all you need to know.

And with those last words, I'm off to take my meds... this weather's killing me :-)

Stay Safe Zo,

Eva

Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Zoey!

I have been keeping a watchful eye on the storm!! I am praying for you. Hang in there.

((((~Hugs~))))
Chrissy

Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Zoey,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and anyone else in the path of one of these storms. I hope they all fizzle out in the Atlantic.

One thing we have done that might be a helpful idea is to put all your evacuation/emergency supplies in large coolers on wheels. They can be kept packed and ready to go (we live in tornado alley and ours are in our tornado room along with the cat's carriers and extra bottled water). The coolers are waterproof and easy to move around since they are on wheels, I can move one easily.

Tigg.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Thank yall for your good thoughts and prayers, We are all ok my family is alright most are without power but holding up well. This could of been much worse very thankful.
For those of us that remember a few years ago the evacuees are albe to return home on Thursday so our health care facilites and hospitials will not be over run without being able to get appointments due to others.
I know we have a busy season with Hanna Ike and whats to come, So just taking one day at a time
Yes when pressure falls the aches do come more when it releases it is better.
Best way to describe it is a balloon that is built up and after the storms pass there is a release vale or a rubber band all wound up that gets released
Thanks again for your prayers They matter and i appreicate yall
Eva thinking of you as yall face Hanna take care be safe prepare and plan

Closed Thread