It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Shelby - your experience w/ med change?

Shelby, wondered if you might share a little more about your experience switching from MSC to oxycontin. How you have felt, how long it's taken [taking] to feel somewhat stable on the med, etc.

Curious about how your med change has gone for you and how long it seems to be taking to get stable.

Thanks....

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

shelby3195 HB User
Re: Shelby - your experience w/ med change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused089 View Post
Shelby, wondered if you might share a little more about your experience switching from MSC to oxycontin. How you have felt, how long it's taken [taking] to feel somewhat stable on the med, etc.

I made my switch late Wed., and it's been rough going. I think I'm a little underdosed, and am on a 12 rather than 8 hr. schedule, which is making it harder since the meds don't last the full 12 hrs.

Nonetheless, curious about how your med change has gone for you and how long it seems to be taking to get stable.

Thanks....
Hey there my friend~
How are you feeling yourself, better or not quite there just yet?/! I guess I started my change over of the Mscontin 30 mgs to Oxycontin 20 mgs on Tuesday. But I went without for almost 3 1/2 days if I remember correctly, because of not being able to get my script that weekend. But I did have some breakthrough's to take to cover any withdrawals...somewhat...hehehe..

Now that I've been on the Oxycontin 3 times daily, along with the breakthrough meds, which are only 5 mgs of Oxy Ir's, 3 times daily....I'm starting to stabilize more with the pain, but not quite there yet. The first two days were kind of tough, but when the pain or withdrawals went skyhigh, I used my Ten's machine, I also did a small amount of yoga with stretching exercises, tried to rest and eat properly, whirlpool tub, and would take my b/t medications. I also added some meditation to ease my anxiety, stress, all of which would take my mind off of the pain and those funny feeling's of withdrawals.

Now that I'm on day 7, I'm starting to adjust better, and I feel a little more stable with the pain on the regimen of 3 a day without many side effects or that shakiness that I had originally. Not that all the pain has subsided either, but I may need another dosage of the LA Oxycontin sometime during the day, or go up a little on the b/t's, but the PM doesn't like to increase the b/t's too much either...so he might beable to add another LA med or increase the b/t medication somewhat...which ever he feels or I feel is better.

In all honesty..I would say at the dosage I'm on now is helping alot better than the Mscontin ever was, without question!!! And I do have alot of chronic pain issues... and I know I'll need surgery sometime this coming year on my back, shoulder and my knee....so I know by then they'll probably have to increase it again after that....which I'm not crazy about either!!I like to think if we're going to be taking these medication's probably for the rest of our lives, keep the level's as low as possible until you've given yourself time to either do everything possible to help the pain without more drugs, or try to keep my medication at the lowest dosage possible and as comfortable without pain until its absolutely necessary to increase it. But everyone is different in how they perceive their pain levels. I think by adding either some more b/t medication or another LA Oxycontin to my regimen, I'll be just about right with my management of pain control!!

So..all and all...I'm doing pretty good, there's still some side effects and I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but hopefully it will improve with time. If not, I'll be talking with the Dr again for an adjustment. The Oxycontin is definitely a better drug than the Mscontin was for my pain control!! I'm so happy I had the chance to change it back over to what worked the best for me...not everyone is that fortunate with their PM!!

Please do let me know how you're doing and if I can help you like you've helped me through this...just ask away, okie dokie?/!
I think I rambled on long enough with my post.lol!! Hehehehe..
Sorry about that~
I hope your day is better than yesterday my friend~
Hugs,
Shelby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Shelby, not doing well at all. I'm trying to keep the dose as low as possible (with the use of BT meds), but it's just leaving me in withdrawal. Having depression, pain that shoots through the roof, aches all over, fatigue, nausea, etc.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-01-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Hi Sweetie~
What is your dosage and how much of b/t's can you use a day?/! How many or what is the dosage of Oxycontin also and can you add enough until you talk with the Dr tomorrow? I hope so my friend!
You're still in my thoughts and prayers my dear!!
The depression I can understand, I'm in the field of psychology, so I only know too well what that is like and what its like for myself as well!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Shelby, not completely clear yet on what I can post re the change in meds. If I find out it's ok to post my dose and bt's I may. Don't think it really matters - the dose I was given is too low and I 'm in w/d, even using b/ts [I can use as many as I need, but I don't want to go over the top with this until I can talk w/ the dr.].

Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

That's fine my dear~
Will you beable to call or see your Dr tomorrow though?/! I sure hope so! I was reading some of your old posts, just so I had an understanding of what you've been through....I see its been a long haul for you, but you'll get through it with the help of your Dr's and this lovely board with wonderful people all here for each and every one of us!!!! I don't think anyone of us ever pass judgement on another...we are all here for one reason and one reason only...we all are in some type of pain or another...advice, support, compassion, understanding, comfort, anything we need, we get it all right here!!
Gentle hugs,
Shelby

Closed Thread