It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Some Prayers For My S-I-L, Please??

Hey gang,

I believe most of you know that the senior doc in my S-I-L's PM practice, has suddenly decreased her meds by a significant amount, and she is scared and upset about what is ahead. She has spoken to a couple of people that she met in the doc's office over the years and it is beginning to look like he is systematically taking every patient who has been taking Oxycontin, and putting them on low doses of Avinza instead. He seems to think that Oxycontin is the evil of all evils and the other PM's in the office have been given no authority to put their patient's back on the Oxy. The front desk (according to one of the receptionists that whispered this to my S-I-L) have been instructed to not put any calls from these patients through to their regular docs! Can you believe this sadist???

Today is day one of her new Rx for the Avinza. We have figured out that with the amount of overall decrease in meds, she will without question, be in w/d's very soon. She has prepared herself, as best as she can, with immodium, anti-nausea meds, etc. but this isn't going to be pretty. Her husband and her boys will not be leaving her alone, and I know my B-I-L will take her in immediately when necessary. She has decided that the first place she will go, is to the PM's office (if open) so that she is not in breach of her contract. But if it is off hours, she will go directly to the ER.

She has tried to research other PM docs, in her area, but right now, she is having trouble focusing on anything but the impending nightmare. She also tried to get an appointment with a GP (they haven't established themselves with any, up to now, because they have only lived in their state a short time). She could not get an appointment until next week.

Please pray for her, if you can. I know how amazing the power of prayer is. I told her about all of your previous posts and your advice and support, and she wept openly. She is so grateful and humbled that so many people who she does not know, have taken the time to care about her. So, Thank You all so very much. (from her and as always from me as well) I will try to keep this updated as I hear more. I don't know how much she will be up to talking on the phone, but I will keep in constant contact with my B-I-L.

Again, Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are all the best! God Bless each and every one of you. Much love, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User
Re: Some Prayers For My S-I-L, Please??

Hi Cmp:angel

I'm so sorry about your SIL, I've been thinking of her & she's the reason I checked the boards today...I'm praying for her & I hope she gets a new pm or gp, asap...Have you tried posting her location & asking for a ref to a good pm?
This so called doc who did this to her & the other pts should be reported...As Ex & Steve have said in the past, the 1st rule in pm is to not change meds if they're working. He obviously is only worried about the stigma of OC & by reducing her to the lowest mg Avinza, I think he is trying to prepare her for completely terminating any opiates. That's just my opinion. I can't understand how he thought this would be easy for her, but he obviously isn't thinking about her...And no BT meds to boot, how cruel is he?

Please keep us posted...I really feel bad about this & what she is going through. She seems like such a good person too & this is just wrong. I'll continue to pray for her.

Sammie

Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Cmpgrl, I'm not religious, but she will be in my thoughts. I am getting a small taste of what she will go through and I am very very sorry she is being treated so badly. I'm glad she has a good support system. Keep us posted on how she's doing. If her GP can get some REMOVED for her, this will help some with the withdrawal, but it won't do much for all of the other symptoms that go with such a drastic drop in medication.

Last edited by Mod08; 09-02-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Do not provide medication suggestions - leave this to the medical professionals.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Oh CMP,

How awful!! This really burns me up! NO MEDICATION is evil or not evil. It's people that make meds "evil" when they are abused or misused and, as we all know, that affects all of the truly chronic intractable pain patients!

She will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. From my own experience, Avinza did not help me one bit. But, I've never had any type of pain relief from any of the morphine groups (morphine, hydromorphone, or oxymorphone) whether it's given by mouth, IV, or IM.

CMP, you and all of your family will also be in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot even imagine what is going through your S-I-L's mind. I hope she can find another PM doc and soon. Sending you and your family hugs and prayers!

Shay

Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
(female)

shelby3195 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hey gang,

I believe most of you know that the senior doc in my S-I-L's PM practice, has suddenly decreased her meds by a significant amount, and she is scared and upset about what is ahead. She has spoken to a couple of people that she met in the doc's office over the years and it is beginning to look like he is systematically taking every patient who has been taking Oxycontin, and putting them on low doses of Avinza instead. He seems to think that Oxycontin is the evil of all evils and the other PM's in the office have been given no authority to put their patient's back on the Oxy. The front desk (according to one of the receptionists that whispered this to my S-I-L) have been instructed to not put any calls from these patients through to their regular docs! Can you believe this sadist???

Today is day one of her new Rx for the Avinza. We have figured out that with the amount of overall decrease in meds, she will without question, be in w/d's very soon. She has prepared herself, as best as she can, with immodium, anti-nausea meds, etc. but this isn't going to be pretty. Her husband and her boys will not be leaving her alone, and I know my B-I-L will take her in immediately when necessary. She has decided that the first place she will go, is to the PM's office (if open) so that she is not in breach of her contract. But if it is off hours, she will go directly to the ER.

She has tried to research other PM docs, in her area, but right now, she is having trouble focusing on anything but the impending nightmare. She also tried to get an appointment with a GP (they haven't established themselves with any, up to now, because they have only lived in their state a short time). She could not get an appointment until next week.

Please pray for her, if you can. I know how amazing the power of prayer is. I told her about all of your previous posts and your advice and support, and she wept openly. She is so grateful and humbled that so many people who she does not know, have taken the time to care about her. So, Thank You all so very much. (from her and as always from me as well) I will try to keep this updated as I hear more. I don't know how much she will be up to talking on the phone, but I will keep in constant contact with my B-I-L.

Again, Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are all the best! God Bless each and every one of you. Much love, CMP/MM
CMP~
I just read your post about your S-I-L! I am a religious person myself and truly believe in the power of prayer's....So, you can add me to your list of prayer's for your S-I-L! I will also light a candle tomorrow night at church for her.
Is there some new law in your state about Oxycontin and filling those scripts now?/! I know here in my state we had problems a year or so ago with them because of the abuse factor and stealing them from the pharmacies. They actually have a sign on most pharmacy doors stating they do NOT carry Oxycontin!! Their are so many kid's and adults who abuse them, that alot of PM's won't prescribe them any longer without you filing out about 20 pages worth of ground rules, and things like telling your Dr you lost some or someone stole some of your Oxy's...as that would be the end of your contract and you will be dismissed as a patient. The PM's are very strict with the rules and the dea's regulations.

I'll keep all of you in my daily prayer's that things work out for your S-I-L and her husband, and hopefuly she can find another Dr to help her much sooner than next week!
Gentle hugs and many prayer's,
Shelby

Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Camp~
That makes me sick...Im wondering if something else is behind this guy's behaviour. If he is getting wary of the Oxycontin, I wonder if he is preparing his pats iin case he is about to face something else.
Its just a thought, but I know my doc, dear as he is, really balked about Oxycontin for me, even though I had been a model patient for two years. He gave it to me because we needed to step up and when I told him I didnt want it anymore, he was shocked. Of course it is one of the most, if not, THE most drug that is abused and sold on the streets. I just didnt want to pay that much for it, and it wasnt that great for me.
Its terribly cruel what he is doing to your SIL...I will keep her in my prayers and be thankful everytime I take a dose of my meds. I think about that alot when Im taking my meds...i think about the ppl who are undermedicated and suffering, or the ppl who cant afford their meds. I am so blessed to have a super doc and finanaces to keep me comfortable.
She is lucky to have you, and please let her know that we are here for her.
Ill be interested to hear what happens with this doc. It seems to me there is something else going on, for sure. But thats just my thoughts. Seems odd to me.
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I am thinking of your SIL....She is fortunate to have you by her side to advise her....I hope things are ok.

Unfortunately, stories like this are becoming all to frequent here....And, they just break my heart. To be honest, it does more than break my heart....My heart sinks and feels like it's in my stomach. This kinda of stuff borders on torture, IMO. And, the lack of professionalism is appalling.

I would definitely look into getting her a new Doc somehow. And, I think if she got a print out of all her pharmacy records, as well as her PM chart, a compassionate ER Doc may bridge her through. And, if the an ER Doc won't, go to another ER, or at a different time. With her long standing well documented medical history, I would hope a Doc out there somewhere would help. Every Doc out there has his/her own theory on this kind of thing, and it's a matter to finding one who cares and understands.

Take care, and please keep us posted.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thank you so much everyone. Just a quick update and some additional info.....

As of last night around 10:00 PM, she was experiencing the usual early signs, like constant yawning, runny nose, hot and cold sweats, a little shaky, and definitely some muscle cramping and nausea. She is using what she has in her arsenal, such as the tylenol and advil (alternating), the compazine, and some additional muscle relaxer (she has had MR's prescribed regularly in the past and never took the full daily max, but is now) I am just so concerned about what is surely yet to come.

About finding a new PM doc.... I have looked up several in her area of Maryland, but not living there myself, it's been kind of hard to know how close or how far some of these doc's are to her. I've given her husband the names and phone numbers of the ones that I have found, and I'm not sure if he has been able to contact anyone yet, due to the holiday.

She is very worried about what will happen if she finds a different PM. She has a contract (which she thinks she has a copy of) that she hadn't found, as of last night. But she is terrified that she will be labled a seeker or doctor shopper. I tried to tell her that several people here on the boards have been able to do this, with success and no backlash, and explained as far as I knew, it usually requires a letter to the current PM stating that she is terminating her relationship with his practice. And as long as she doesn't accept any meds without his approval, she should not be in breach. But she keeps saying that the State of Maryland and the surrounding D.C. and Va. area, has had huge crack-downs by the DEA, and this has become a major nightmare for CPers.

I tried to remind her that she has nothing to hide or be ashamed of, and she has always been a model pain patient over the last 15 to 20 years. She has always been 100% compliant and has never been red-flagged or had a black mark of any sort in her records, and that in itself will speak for her integrity. I could only find one review/rating, on any of the docs I found, but it was a glowing rating. (I think 4 out of 4 stars) But when I gave her the location, she said it would be a horrendous drive for her and she would never be able to do it on a monthly basis.

As for now, this is what I have. I am sure I will be speaking to her or to her husband at some point today. I wish I lived near her, so that I could help out more. But I know my B-I-L and my 2 nephews will do everything they can. So that is a relief. Thank you all for your continued prayers/good wishes. I am very close to her. We were friends long before we were in-laws, and I love her like a sister. Your support is a true blessing to me. I will try to update as I hear more. Does anyone know of a good PM doc in the Pax River area of Md.? I know she is close to Annapolis and Waldorf, but that's about all I know. Thank you all again, and God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post

She is very worried about what will happen if she finds a different PM. She has a contract (which she thinks she has a copy of) that she hadn't found, as of last night. But she is terrified that she will be labled a seeker or doctor shopper. I tried to tell her that several people here on the boards have been able to do this, with success and no backlash, and explained as far as I knew, it usually requires a letter to the current PM stating that she is terminating her relationship with his practice. And as long as she doesn't accept any meds without his approval, she should not be in breach. But she keeps saying that the State of Maryland and the surrounding D.C. and Va. area, has had huge crack-downs by the DEA, and this has become a major nightmare for CPers.

As you say, she absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Doc shopping is seeing two or more Docs @ the same time (usually multiple times really) for the same or related condition. You are correct in how to terminate the one relationship and start another. Additionally, the new Doc could call the old Doc and tell him he his taking the patient on. The key ingredient to Doc shopping is that neither Doc knows about the other. Since she will be terminating the one relationship and putting all in writing (or the Doc calling), it's not Doc shopping.

Also, I meant to mention previously that maybe she could call the current clinic and ask for an appt...Tell them she is having lots of trouble...I'd even beg for an appt if I had to. And maybe either her previous Doc, or the head of the clinic, will adjust her current dose to a more acceptable level. Ok....so the new head is against OC...That doesn't mean she can't have an acceptable dose of the new med (Avinza I think).

As we've discussed, she's not the only patient @ this clinic with this problem...Many others have been switched also....What if someone has a allergic reaction to LA morphine? They'd have to switch them. I'd try to get back in there.....And then change Docs. When is her next appt? Please don't tell me a month from now.

I'll be praying for her.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Cmp,

I just can't believe it! How awful for her. You got it from me friend. I am sending out the . I certainly hope this does not send her into a full blown bowt (sp) of the WD's. I think the most important thing to remember is to STAY hYDRATED. If you start to become dehydrated then its time to go to the ER.
I am sur your brother will be keeping his watchful eye!
Keep us posted!
Chrissy

Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
* Since she will be terminating the one relationship and putting all in writing (or the Doc calling), it's not Doc shopping.
I'm beginning to think her fear/reluctance has more to do with the fact that for the last 24 years, my B-I-L was career military and they were extremely strict about protocol at the base medical facilities. She tends to still see things from a "military" mentality.... kind of a no questions, do exactly as told, kind of thing. Believe me, I'm trying like all heck to help her realize that it is somewhat different out here in the "civilian world".
Quote:
Ok....so the new head is against OC...That doesn't mean she can't have an acceptable dose of the new med (Avinza I think).
Yes, It's 30mg Avinza, 1x/day. (75% less than her previous daily dose of oxycontin.)*
Quote:
When is her next appt?* Please don't tell me a month from now.
Yep, They refused to give her an appointment any sooner. I don't believe it was the reception staff. The girl she spoke with put her on hold and came back and "whispered" "I'm so sorry, but he says absolutely not!".

Quote:
I'll be praying for her.
Thanks Ex, I know it means the world to her. (and to me too!)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

IMO, the refusal to see her before her monthly appointment border lines on malpractice. Standard medical protocol calls for close supervision when changing meds. Not only should appointments be every 1-2 weeks until stable, but accommodation should be made for those who need it and don't do well on any give switch.

Not only would I be seeking a new Doc, but as Steve said in one of his early posts, I think I would see a lawyer.

This is absurd.....

Take care, and God Bless to your SIL.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

MM,

This is a time for action.

Here's some thoughts and ideas.

First of all, get a copy of her contract. If needed, go to her doc's practice and request one. Read it thoroughly, as I am thinking the doc may be in breach of the contract. If she has done nothing to merit such a drastic decrease in meds, then IMHO, he has broken his responsibilities to her. He is married at the hip to his oath to do no harm, and he is putting her in pain. If she has any other conditions, especially heart, then this could be dangerous as well as terribly painful. Don't focus on it being uncomfortable, but do focus on the pain this is causing and any other conditions it may affect.

I would immediately call her pharmacist - ask to speak with the head pharmacist. Tell him/her of the situation and ask what can be done to ease her discomfort. Ask him directly his thoughts on this action by the doc. Just building support, that's all. This sialo serves as kind of a "paper trail," so to speak, so get names, numbers times, etc. Make the pharmacist feel that he/she is part of the crisis support team.

Confused's idea of REMOVED is outstanding. See if there's any way this can be scripted for her. I can attest that it will help with the sweats and hot flashes. Also ask about REMOVED. This is given to patients that are detoxing, and it's a lifesaver.

I agree about taking her to the "doc's" office before going to the ER. Take her in there all messed up. The worse she looks the better. Let the whole waiting room see her. Make a spectacle of it. The more drama the better. Maybe she can part with her lunch in there. (well, maybe that's going too far). Anyway, let the doc reap what he's sowing.

I do believe there's ample evidence to consider that this doc has breached his own contract, and that going to an ER, or any other doc for help can't make things worse. This is critical, and she should not feel badly about seeking help from another doc if hers in unavailable. I don't expect she'll be back in to see him anyway, right? What about her GP? I've heard nothing about this person. Is he/she non-existent or unavailable? Make this contact as well, again if it doesn't help, it does add to the paper trail. You obviously know why I'm saying paper trail - it may be helpful later.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Please continue to tell her that we're all praying for her and with her on this.

steve

Last edited by Mod08; 09-02-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Do not provide medication suggestions - leave this to the drs.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
IMO, the refusal to see her before her monthly appointment border lines on malpractice. ...
Absolutely.

No one in their right mind can view this change as therapeutic. To cause a CP patient more pain, knowingly, is not therapeutic.

It is then penalizing? Is this doc applying a penalty? What evidence is there for her to incur a penalty? None, except that she is on OC, correct? Is he within his rights, according to the contract to lower her dose if it cannot be therapeutic or a penalty? What other for of treatment could this fall under?

steve

Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I believe this doc is in trouble with either the DEA or the law, and is using this approach with his patients to show some kind of compliance.

If there is any way to look this guy up, even if it takes a few dollars, do it.

steve

Closed Thread