It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Surgery is tomorrow! I hope all the finances are in order! very nervous!

Hey All,

Well it is about 20 minutes to 7 am here and I will be calling the attorney's office sometime between 8-9 am thins morning to make sure all the finances are in order for my surgery.

I am scared to death that either the surgeons office or the facility will call it all off. I would be totaly devastated!

So the plan for today is to call the attorney first thing and see where they are at with everthing simce we are just now starting the work week from the holiday.

Next I need to go to the surgery center and have the blood draw (hold Clot) and then at 11:45 I will see the surgeons office for the fitting of my Aspen Collar!

I can't believe the day is almost here! I was making my coffee and thinking about all of you people on this board! I was thinking how all of you have really cared for me and helped me through all of this! There are a few who were even around when I was on workers comp and going through a detox to get off all the meds they had me on. No I did not abuse them, but my body did Not like doing the slow taper. It was an awful experience that brought me here to you!!

Izzy may remember way back then and Feelsbad and I know there are some others around. Then when the car accident happened I came to this area for more support and found all of you!

Thanks for bringing me this far. All of the support I have recieved has been phenominal!
Now we wait! I will post about the money situation as soon as I know something!
PLease send out the good Vibes for me on this...I need all I can get

As for the actual surgery, I am a bit nervous! I tend to not really get nervous about them abymore because I have had so many, but this one scares me! The success rate of the ACDF surgery for discogenic pain is signifigantly lower when there is not any cord impingement. So I am taking a leap of FAITH here. I do feel in my heart I have made the right coice, but I am human and with every surgery I have had ... I have wondered if I was doing the right thing. Funny thing is I have always thought this would help ways back since before they even told me it may be needed!

Of course there is so much at stake this morning I am in a lot of pain! What else is new?? I am just going to continue on "AS IF" until someone says tomorrow is a no go!
Thanks
Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Surgery is tomorrow! I hope all the finances are in order! very nervous!

your going to do just fine chrissy. like i told you before,you already have gone thru the worst type of appraoch with that posterior so this one should be a walk in the park for you. i know you probably don't 'feel" that way right now hon,but the pain will be less,that much i do know from my two approaches. no thick muscle to have to cut thru makes a HUGE difference in pain and recovery and post op problems. just try and stay as comfy as you can with that coller and wear it according to what your surgeon wants you to. this is the "splint' that will hold those bones ends together and give a higher success rate of a good solid well aligned fusion for your trouble. it can be a pain to have to wear,but it is there for a good reason too. if you have any problems in sleeping with this thing on,just holler,i do know a few good ideas just from having big troubles with that stupid philly coller the very first fusion,icky coller. the miami j is what i had the second time which is somewhat the same as the aspen. but MUCH more comfy for you to have to wear,so thats good.

i wish you so much good luck and sending positive energy your way chissy. big huggies too. hopefully this will be all over very soon and you can move on from all this hell you have had to go thru. just take things really slow and don;t overdo after that surgery. i do think you will feel much much better post op from this surgery than your previous one. big differences here between the two. give us an update when you can hon,i know we ALL will be thinking of you and sending prayers your way too. you are just so special hon. take care chrissy. i just sent you a big cyber hug,hope you felt it. good luck,marcia

Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Chrissy, I have not been on alot but I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that things go well tomorrow. What time is your surgery scheduled for? I plan on lighting a candle for you then and saying a prayer for both your surgeon and you.

Can you Mom or someone add an update for us to let us know when you are out of surgery and/or update us on your condition?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey my friend,

I'm sure you are both relieved and nervous that the day is almost here. Thank God you have your mom to be there for you. Even if you don't have as much post-op pain as you anticipate, it is still going to be rather awkward and difficult to do the necessary things.

I can understand your worries about the money, because of what happened just last week with all of the mix-ups. But, I have a good feeling in my gut about both the payment situation and the surgery itself. I know my "gut feelings" are no guarantee, but I've learned to trust it over the years, just like you mentioned that you had a feeling that this surgery was in your future, long before it actually came up as an option. Who knows, maybe it's just coincidence that we humans have this kind of intuition or maybe it's God whispering in our ears.......

Anyway, good luck with your appointments today and I will be saying extra prayers for you today and through the next several days. He's going to be pretty busy with all of us tugging at His ear! Keep us posted for as long as you can, leading up to the surgery time, and please let us know how you are, when you feel up to it after. Sending big hugs and positive thoughts your way. Much Love, CMP/MM

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Chrissy,

Good luck with everything. With so many people supporting you, it has to go well (including having the money arrive in time!]. I'm sorry you have to worry about that the day before your surgery. I'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

This is *so* minor that I hesitate to even mention it, but you might ask if the Miami J is available if for some reason the Aspen doesn't feel comfortable to you. The more I think about it, just forget about this for now. You can usually switch collars later if necessary, and the Aspen is fine. You really don't need to worry about one more thing today!

Please do have your mom update us on the surgery if she has time/energy to do so. I know everyone wants to hear how well this has gone for you!

Do your best to stay calm and relaxed today. Wishing the best for you.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-02-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Chrissy,

I'll be saying a special prayer for you tomorrow. Try not to get too nervous, FAITH is the key word.

Tigg.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hey Everyone!!

God is looking out for me as usual! The attorney called first thing and told me the money was there!! He and I were talking about what I was doing today and I mentioed I had to go to the surgery center and then the surgeons office afterward so I actually just came from the surgery center where I HAND DELIVERED THE PAYMENT OF A $36,000 dollar Check.

Hand delivering the check was a good feeling. I had called ahead to make sure I give it to the right person and I have a copy of the payment and the original receit!

I stopped in for a moment at my house so I could post to you all and let you know that everything is now complete and in order.
Now I am off to be fitted with the collar at the surgeons office where I will again HAND DELIVER the payment for his posrtion. His estimated part was $22,000 dollars. Both were estamates so they could end up being either less or more.

As for my mom trying to find this post...well I think her mind will be elsewhere. I will post as soon as I can when I get home ok!! I promise. I will be able to post tomorrow before I go in.

Pepper your so sweet to light the candle for me. I appreciate that so much. I hope your doing well. I know I have not kept up on everyone during all this and I am sure you understand. I am always thinking of you all here and I did light the canlde for you all on Sunday!

So my surgery check in time is 12 pm and surgery is to start at 2 pm. I live in Nevada so my time is the same as California. I think it is a 3 hour difference from you Pepper.

Gotta run to the surgeons office and I will check back later!

Chrissy

Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Chrissy,

Hey sweetheart. I've been thinking of you and praying for you. God is taking good care of you and will continue to do so. You simply cannot escape His love.

Thanks for sharing the times for tomorrow so we can pray all the better.

I am going to have my Dad's Tuesday evening bible study pray for you as well. And I will share your prayer need with any other believers I speak with.

You are in great Hands Chrissy. Just sit there and take a big breath, and exhale slowly, knowing you are loved and secure in Him. He knows the count of every hair on your head, He knows every day you have down to the very last one when you finally see Him, he knows every thought you have before you think it. He has known about tomorrow since before He created the world. You are in great Hands.

steve

Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Chrissy, so happy to hear that the money issue was resolved and that you are on schedule for your surgery tomorrow. Try to relax and take it easy today. I know everything will go well for you. Have fun trying on collars - if you're not overwhelmed, you might ask if they have the Miami J - it's a bit more fashionable if you ask me ;-) Possibly more comfy..;-). I'm sure you can make the Apsen look quite fashionable as well ;-)

Hope you don't mind me being light and frivolous the day before your surgery. I'm hoping you can really relax and take it easy today - which includes not worrying :-) Everything is working itself out and Im sure the surgery will go great as well.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Hi there!

I am finally home now. It is about 2pm and I just got in and got things put away for dinner for my Mom and I. She will actually be cooking tonight. Her request! It will be good to have a "Mom" cooked meal the night before surgery!

Steve Thanks so much for the thoughts and Prayers. You know I will gladly accept!

Confused- No I don't mind the humor at all. In fact I have already been thinking of a new fashion accessory/look I might be able to add to my Aspen collar. hehehehehe!! Ya never know what might be the next fad...lol

For the next few hours I will be resting and having a snack. Letting the pain meds address that issue. I am having a bit of a spasm today, but I decided against asking anything for tomight. I will be fine! When Mom gets here I will be distracted and much more relaxed!

This afternoon after her arrival we will go to a local salon we like and have pedicures to pamper ourselves! I asked if it would be alright if I had toe-nail polish on during surgery so we are good on that issue. It will be nice to have them done and relax while there with my Mom.

Less than 24 hours now! I feel weird. I have waited so long for this moment and now it is finally really going to take place.

My mind seems to want to go over all the times it has undergone surgery and it is as if I am mostly feeling strange or concerned because I just know the uncomfortableness that comes after surgery.

I do believe in and trust God, that is not an issue it is just the knowing what is to come with the anesthesia and pain that will be ahead.

I sppke with one of the PA's and explained all my concerns about everything.

The one thing we discussed is how my post op pain will be treated when I go home. I was a bit shocked that they are only going to send me home with percocet's. I explained I was very concerned about that because I am currently taking more meds then just percocet. We discussed that if what they send me home with is not enough then they will refer me back to my PM to be prescribed more meds.

This is concerning to me and there was nothing I could do about it! If there is some type of a "pain" or Withdrawl" emergency then what??? Who is responsible for my care then? She said they would be giving my PM a heads up about this issue so I have no choice but to deal with it and go with the flow and wait to see what happens.

Do you all think there is a possibility of me going into a withdral?? I am currently taking Morphine Sulfate 30mg's 3 times a day and percocet 10/325
2 at a time 3 times a day for BT pain.
There is just NO way that Percocet is going to cover my pain. I am afraid of the wd's. In the hospital I will be given Demoral in my PCA pump, then on day 2 taken off and switched to oral meds.
I do have emergency stock of the morphine sulfate. Enough to last until I could get an appointment with the PM. So I guess I should not worry right? If I were to be referred back to the PM he coulld instruct me on what to do with the amount of meds I have at home until I see him right?

as for everything else, it is all going to be good. They will get the anesthesiologist in the pre-op set up if I am in pain before I go into the OR, and he can give the OK for any meds for pain I may need since the surgery center instructed me to only take the Morphine sulfate with one sip of water at 7 am. I normally would take the Morphine sulfate around 4:30 am when I get up and then take BT meds around 10 or 11am. Since i have been instructed otherwise I will have to hope the anesthesiologist will approve something in the pre op room.

It really sucks to have to be concerned about all this medication junk! I think it is totally wrong but what choice do we have when there are so many other people out there doing the wrong things with pain meds these days that it has a bummer of a trickle down affect for those of us who are in compliance with our own personal situations.

Alrighty then...I am going to lay myself down for some quiet time before Mom arrives. Try not to fall asleep so I am not awake all night!! LOL

i will check back later
Chrissy

Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Chrissy - the PA clearly doesn't know what's she's talking about. The percocets aren't enough - you will be on more pain meds after your surgery than you are on now. She is probably thinking about patients who aren't on pain meds before surgery.I might put a call into the PM's office this afternoon. On the other hand, I really wouldn't stress about this too much. They're not going to put you into withdrawal - just make sure you leave the hospital w/ a dose that is higher than your current dose.

They will titrate your meds to the correct level in the hospital and send you home with a dose that is close to that, then it sounds like your PM will need to take over your care. I would just have your mom stay on top of the situation - make sure you're getting enough pain control in the hosptial, and that you leave w/ oral meds that are strong enough to control your pain until you can see your PM [you won't be going anywhere right after your surgery].

Wish you the best w/ your surgery. Just have your mom stay on top of the pain control stuff. The doctors will probably make sure you have sufficient pain meds when you leave. I think you just talked to the wrong person about this. *If* it isn't going to stress you out, I would put a call into your PM. Your mom can also work on this tomorrow if something doesn't go right. I think the PA is just in over her head on this one.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Chrissy

I hope everything goes good tomorrow...I'll pray for your quick recovery.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi Chrissy!
Ill be praying for you tomorrow and thinking about you, and IM sure everything will be just fine. Dont stress or worry...God is with you, and so are all of us. I dont want to stress you out, so Im just going to leave a positive, light, quick post and tell you that we all love you and care for you. They will take care of you, and get your pain control right, and if there is anything that hasnt been handled, Im very sure it will be before you leave. Dont stress or panic. Thats the last thing you need the eve before your surgery. Just trust for tonite and tomorrow and let things go, and if things need to be tweaked tomorrow or the next day it can and will be done. Added stress is just totally unecessary for this time. Trust...
You'll be fine, post when you can~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 09-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Chrissey I had hoped to post earlier but wishing you the very very best. I wont say luck, you dont need it, because everything will be fine.....it is in Gods hands and of course the surgeon.

Try not to worry about the meds, I remember my surgeon saying I would like you to go home on less meds than you came in on !! wouldnt we all !.

Take care of yourself, and I think you have everything covered, you are well prepared, and finally the time that you think would never arrive does.

Best wishes,
round1

Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Chrissy,

Well, it's finally here.

I hope you have a great meal with Mom tonight.

Don't sweat the meds. I would leave a message with the PM advising what the plan is and asking if he/she thinks it's OK. And, that you may be contacting him/her after surgery if things are going badly.

Relax and get some good sleep.

We are all praying for you.

steve

Closed Thread