It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
I'm still around. Back with an update.

Hi, Wish I could say I haven't been around because I've been feeling great. No such luck. The back pain is still bad. The nerve block and shots wore off. So my leg is killing me. Get cramps all the time in the leg. My foot throbs like someone dropped a brick on it. I got two corisone shots in my hip which have helped a little. I've been on the Fetanyl patch since June with Oxycodone in between. It helped a little in the beginning but not much more. I also got diagnosed with Intersistal Cystitis (sp?). It's like over active bladder with pain. I got three new meds for that. Plus for six weeks I get meds pushed directly into my bladder. Once a week for six weeks. I guess it adds to the back pain. One of the bladder meds is Elavil. I hear that helps the nerve pain. I took it years ago for my bladder but did not have the nerve pain then. I'm not sure I can take it with the pain meds. I have to find out. Got denied for a second time for Social Security. So fighting for that. So nothing really changed. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Re: I'm still around. Back with an update.

If you're asking about the Elavil, it's often prescribed w pain meds. Obviously, you should check w/ your PM first to check on combining it w/ your specific meds.

I'm sorry to hear you have new pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. The Urologist wasn't sure about the meds interacting. I asked the pharmacy and they said the computer would kick out something if there is an interaction. It didn't make me too confident. It is only for the bladder but if it helps the nerve pain it will be a plus. I remembered I did take it for a while in between the Lyrica and Topamax and it did not do much. Who knows.

On another subject, was there always a Chronic Pain Message Board? I always posted on the pain management board and they moved me here.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Hessie, please check w/ your PM before adding it [tho, pharmacists are supposed to be the experts!). I think you're wise to worry about an interaction. You never know. Just b/c PMs frequently prescribe Elavil doesn't mean that it won't interact with the specific meds you're taking. . I might also call another pharmacist - I've found that there are great pharmacists and others who barely remember what they learned in school (and haven't added much since then!). Unfortunately, there's no way to be absolutely certain until the meds get together and have a chat in *your* body ....;-) I've experienced a few bad interactions before and one wasn't listed. I've heard that drug interactions are one of the major causes of death in hospitals but just don't get recorded [partly b/c doctors don't want the liability]. Anyway, enuf bout that! Elavil is supposed to be quite helpful w/ pain. You might run a search on it here on the boards to see how frequently people take it and what type of nerve pain it helps with.

Nope, the chronic pain board is new and I'm not completely sure I understand the differences - the main difference, I think (but don't quote me on this!) is that the pm board is for talking about med and the cp board a bit more about supporting each other. But, honestly, I'm not completely clear.

Feels a bit like everyone took the day off today [from the boards..:-)]

Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hello Hessie, its good to hear from you. I am so sorry your still suffering so much. That bladder procedure sounds pretty painful.
I am not sure this sub board was here when last you were on, so no it has not been here all along. It took me some redirection to learn about it to, but its kind of nice to have the two boards. I have wondered about you & a few others to, so I am glad to hear from you & hope things improve, god bless & take care, Sammy

Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Sammy. I was only away from the boards for maybe 2 weeks. I only found out about this forum because the moderator moved me here. In a way it is kind of depressing. At least on the pain management board I was with others that just had surgery etc. There seemed to be some hope. Chronic Pain sounds too final.

Actually the bladder treatment is simple. The Dr. mixes three meds together and he put it right into the bladder through a cather. If anything it is just degrading. Luckily no burning after or anything. It takes 2 minutes. Only bad thing is that it leaves a nasty garlic taste in your mouth for a day or two.

Hard to believe that in 2008 they don't have something to fix us.

Thanks for writing. It's nice to see a familiar name.

Closed Thread