It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
want to go back to PM ~ Pains up and down from surgery More activity than in a long t

hey everyone,

Well I wont retype all the medication jargon that we all discussed before surgery, but clearly I need to call the surgeon on Monday,

I Checked my post op notes and it says to schedule an appointment for 7-10 days after surgery and my appointment is not until the 16th. well I got out of the surgery center on the 15th so the meds the surgeon prescribed and the meds the pm had prescribed that were leftovers that the surgeon ok'ed me to take are just sometimes not helping. Sometime I can take less and sometiems I need the extra percocets.

I am now being very active per the surgeons orders for walking. The pain I get from walking is not the type of pai I would get from walking before I had surgery. It is different. I think the pain now is more from the fact the neck is somewhat unstable until fusion takes place and also because of the brace and thrirdly because of the funky aweful position they put me in on the operating table.

Please forgive the typing as I can not get close to the screen to see very well. I need to type in intervals or the sitting up hurts to much.

It seems that my day consists of getting up and tring to eat. I have not eaten much due to the hard to swallow issues that come with the ACDF surgery.
Then I put on my walking shoes and walk up to 1 /2 a mile with my mom. Since I got out of surgery center I have worked up to todays 2 miles beofre the day is over. Half a mile each time real real real slow. The walking is good and I like it. The papers say I am allowed to do as much as I want.
When I am done walking I ice my shoulders and neck whiel laying down and then sleep.
I sleep then walk then awake laying on bed. I can not sit up for very long. Only long enough to type this or to eat. about 10-14minutes.

I just wander if this is normal.

Tomorrow I am going to call the surgeon to see what to do about the meds situation and also to see if they are going to refer me back to pm. What ever they do I am fine with it.

I also go to take a shower on my shower stiillst night for the first time. It felt good till I had to put the nastly little plastic aspen collar back on...
I am sorry for my typing errors and for not keeping up with what is going on with everyone. CMP I posted to you in the A & R forum.
SO many are not doing well right now and I am thinking of you all. Aver how are you? Feelbad I kow your always good with suggestions on the above things I have mentioned. I really wich I could sleep on my side.
Izzy and Steve and eveyone else I hope this check in finds you well and happy!!!
I feel really detached from the world right now. My best friend came by for 1/2 hour visit and I could not even sit up to visit with her. Is this normal?
It really whiped me out and even made me sick to stomach.

My poor mpm is wearing herself out already. The day after I cam home she lifted a 36 pack of water bottles the wrong way and her own back has been bugging her ever since. I hate seeing her wince to try and help me and ther is nothing I can do except try to not make to much of a mess.

Did I say I feel a little lonely to because Mom and I are used to doing things not sitting around.
Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User
Cool Re: want to go back to PM ~ Pains up and down from surgery More activity than in a lo

Oh my, it is good to hear how you are doing - does your surgeon really want you to do so much - I am sorry to hear you feel that isolation feeling, every time I have had surgery I felt that way - I always feel I am waiting to get back on track with the rest of the world
do you feel like your old pain is gone and that the pain you have now is surgery related - it sounds like you are doing well - Are you really?
I hope you are - Take care of yourself and forget about the typing (mine is awful for no reason) lots of love to you huggs Aver

Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User
Re: want to go back to PM ~ Pains up and down from surgery More activity than in a lo

Chrissy, I think everyone's recovery from a major surgery is different. My memory is hazy but I do not remember being as active as you [at least as far as the walking goes!]. What you're doing sounds like exactly what your body needs - exercise helps to keep the pain down w/o more meds and is just plain good for you and your healing (as long as it isn't causing your pain to go up a lot). I would expect you to be sleeping a lot and not doing too much of anything for a while. If you don't get a lot of responses, I'll ask my mom since she took care of me while I recovered.

I honestly think that what you're going through is very normal - I know it's boring (and things like taking a shower become one of the highlights of your day!) but you'll get stronger with each day that passes. I'm amazed you're able to walk so far already! Have you thought about renting some good movies?

Also, I know you have been disappointed about the pillow not arriving yet. Are you sleeping in a normal bed? I was really uncomfortable in a normal bed - we got a hospital bed [not the most comfy mattress but *much* better for me]. I found it most comfortable to sleep halfway between sitting up and lying down. I was able to read, watch t.v. and dvds in my hospital bed - My insurance paid for the bed - it might be something your settlement would pay for as well. It can usually be delivered from a medical supplies company the same day as it's ordered. This might help w/ the lying awake part - It really made the recovery much easier since I could do more in bed. I assume that sitting in a chair is not something you're up for yet?

How is your pain level? You said that sometimes it was fine and other times it wasn't. How long is your mom staying? I probably sound like your mom here now, but how about getting some Ensure until you're able to swallow better? It's important to eat well and get good nutrition while you're healing.

Again, everything you describe sounds very normal to me [except going for such long walks so soon! That's great!]. I'm very happy you're doing so well.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-08-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Re: want to go back to PM ~ Pains up and down from surgery More activity than in a lo

Thanks Confused for keeping up on my posts.

Right now the meds Percocet and the valium are prescribed from the Surgeon and the MS is from my PM. The surgeon is well aware and cleared me to take to MS when I returned home because I I stressed to him I was very very concerned about the pain control once I went home. Tomorrow I am planning to call the Surgeons office to discuss the amount of mes I am taking/needing with in the directions of course, and then seeing what happens next. I want to make sure the ONE doctor is responsibel for the psot op pain. I could care less which one it is...well actually I wish the surgeon would for now becase he is actually a closer drive to my home and I cam not the driver so if my Mom has gone home it is easier to get there.

i am still having high pain levels of 8-9-10's on a rare occasion, but the type of pain is different if that makes sense. It is not the same pain I had pre surgery. And yes I agree with you about it being way to soon to judge what the outcome is from the surgery. We have a ways to go for that.

As for the walking. My doctor said to walk as much as possible because it is the best therpay. So I started out with small distances about 4-5 times a day and sleeping mostly inbetween or laying/reclining like you stated your liked to be. Then I wake up and do it all over. I did take a rinse shower again today because Idid sweat while walking becuase it ws so hot. This afternoon I slept really hard so i cut out the last walk deciding it would have been way to much. So instead I took the shower.

It is now ttime to to get into that reclined position. I swear that is the main position for the day.

I hope the wedge pillow comes tomorrw. No more piling of pillows once it arrives. If you would like to share your story confused I would love to hear it. If not I totaly understand that too.

Again thanks for monitoring me and looking out for my best interest.

Oh I took the initial bandage off today because the post-op directions said I could do so it it was not leaking and it was not so we are good ther.

I am getting tired so gotta run..well not exactly...lol

Chrissy

Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Chrissy, I think you would be wise to limit the distance you have to ride in a car. After my cervical fusion, riding in the car was extremely painful. All of the little bumps in the road and the stopping and starting really gave me almost unbearable pain. I had to hold onto the dash and brace myself for the whole ride. Sometimes I would hold my head steady with my hands, even when I had the Aspen collar on. This was the case for quite a long time, probably at least 6-8 weeks. I was able to drive after about 4, but driving was easier because I could brace myself on the steering wheel. If you could get adequate post-op meds from a doctor that is closer, that might be a good idea.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing relatively well after the surgery. Keep posting so we can keep up with your progress.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Chrissy~
Thanks for the shout out. I know things will get better for you, and iM hee reading and seeing how you are doing. Unfortunately, IM not doing well at all. Ive got horrible pain that has just about sent me over the edge. Im just hanging in there.
*Aver* hope you're doing good too, girl!!!
Anyway Chrissy...You know it takes time, and you have to do what is right for you. You are in my prayers and thoughts, and if you need anything IM here for you.
I need to get my boy to bed, I tried to play basketball with him tonite b/c hes trying out for the team, and I am his hero b/c I was a college player with scholarships and even though he is a true golfer, he is branching out and trying different sports.
He adores his mommy and Im trying to take it easy, but yet be there for him. I felt it really bad today, and Im having probs with my pain already, and I felt like crap....Anyway, this is about YOU, and I hope you rest well, and tomorrow is a better day.~
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

Chrissy, I agree w/ Toonces.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Good Morning everyone!

Well as a result of being my own advocate it all finally worked out!!
I called the PM at the urging of all of you folks and some others on another forum I frequent. The PM said they could not do anything, but told me to get the surgeon to call them and they would explain what was going on before surgery!

So I did that and the surgeons office finally called back and said they had spken with the PM. The sureons office actually wrote a script for my Morhoine for a month which is what my PM usually does. They also wrote a refil on the percocests and wehn I need a refil on the valium they will write that too. My Mom went and picked them up and then dropped them off at the pharmacy for me so they will be ready for pick up today!!

I am feeling different everyday! Some pains -burning pain inthe neck--come and goe. The buring in-between my shoulders still has gone and not returned thus far so I am excited about that, but trying not to be over excited, because last time I had surgery the symptoms went away and then they came beack a few weeks later. I just am being cautious about my expectations.

Chrissy

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Hi Chrissy,

You never cease to amaze me.

You are so strong. And I admire your faith as well. I am so impressed with you. You are doing so well.I do hope and pray that the outcome will be as positive as you are hoping for. But I guess there's lots of waiting since this kind of thing takes time to heal and settle.

I am so hopeful that you'll get to pursue nursing. I think you would be so wonderful as a nurse.

Will your PM eventually take you back? When I read that the PM couldn't help it made me cringe a little.

steve

Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Steve

My friend...I miss you!! How are you feeling these days? I hope you will come back and see this or I will search you out...lol

There has been a little glitch in the way the surgeon wrote the Morphine script. The Pharm called yesterday and said they were going to contact the dr. for me to get it straightened out.

I am just going to have to trust it will get figured out. I have no choice..lol

If I do not hear from the Pharacy today I will give a call back and check because I will run out of those on Friday!
They already should know this.

My Mom just left and wont be back til Thursday or Friday so I am on my own.

The house feels empty already!

I just found out I have a lot of reading to do before Monday's class whcih I will hae a quiz in. Then the following Monday's class an exam...I just don't know how all this will work out. If it does not I will not be disapointed.
The teacher has all the right in the world to drop me for missing 3 classes and I have 1 missed already and i feel way behind and as if I am blind.

We know what it does to stress so I am doing my best to just stay on track.
Stay on schedule.
walk eat sudy sleep and then repeat...
I walk about 1 1/2 - 2 or so miles a day already and it wears me out and sometimes flares my pain, but I am feeling different evey day.

Chrissy

Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

OK.

I'm here.

No need to get hostile...

I hope you are taking me seriously when I write about how strong you are. I imagine you read that stuff and dismiss it thinking I'm just being nice. But that's not it at all. I never say something if I don't mean it, especially if it's personal and can affect someone. And I want it to affect you - in a positive way. I want you to know you are strong. God has made you that way, and He's done an outstanding job Chrissy. I have been told that I am a very good judge of character. I can spot a phony a mile away. And I can spot the genuine article too. And that's you. I praise God that He got you out of addiction and into recovery. Just look at what He's done with you. You are no longer a diamond in the rough - you are now shining so brightly. You have an incredible testimony. And, you will be such a good nurse.

Back to your post - Don't you just love it when docs screw up scripts? I've taken to spending the final 5 minutes of my appts with my GP examining his math and his handwriting so I don't have to drive all the way back to his office to get it fixed. He's gotten used to it. He hands 'em to me and says "check it out and I'll wait." It's gotten to be kinda funny. And I have found errors, which is why he's willing to undergo such scrutiny.

I have to believe all will work out for your script. Be sure to hound 'em though, since the weekend is coming. Isn't it always that way? There's never any problems during the week, but come Friday all heck breaks loose. Fevers, colds, injuries, med mistakes or shortages, you name it - they all happen on Friday's.

I've been away from the board a bit lately because of pain. I guess it's just spiking more than normal, but it wears me out and I don't feel like firing up my system and getting on line. I've been going to bed early and letting sleep handle the pain (when it works). Plus I'm still having lots of migraines, not as much as before but still too many. Someday soon I need to tell my endocrinologist about them so he can decide if he wants to take another look at the brain tumor. That's what my GP wants me to do, but I've been so worn out. I'm sure you know how I feel.

Be good and get the rest you need.

steve

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Stevie-boy!!!

You are such a good guy!! I wont get hostile..lol well maybe!

I called the Phar yesterday and it is all fixed and when my Mom comes back on Friday she will pick it up for me.

It is back to being on my own and remembering to not overdo!
So far you all would be proud of me!
I have not been doing any lifting or anything the doc has said not to do!!

I want to make sure I get the best opportunity for a successful outcome and the way to do that is to follow direction

Last night I did sleep for a littel amount of time on my side. This morning I noticed some buring pain in between the shoulder blades, mostly left sided.

i am going to make a new post about it so people can better give it some attention.

I need to make a PM appt. today or tomorrow for next month when I will I guess be under PM's care again. This is good because if the possability of decreasing meds it on the table I know he will be handeling all that.
Hmmm that is a entirley huge process in itself. Not there yet...but hope to be some day.
Chrissy

Old 09-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy sweetie, Listen take it easy & as much as classes are important to you, this is the rest of your life here. Its more important to focus on healing. Try not to worry about much else for just abit longer. Give your body all the rest it needs, not only from the physical stress but from the emotional/mental stress to. I am sure your teacher understands that takes rest to heal from a surgery like yours.
I have got to tell you girl I dont know how your doing it. I took some refresher courses shortly after all this began with me & I just could not do it, dropped out. I could not remember all that I was studying due to feeling so bad. Takes alot to stay focus & you are to be commended, just dont over do. We all know that this brings stress & what happens to our bodies when we are stressed. So please be careful. You have waited along time for this surgery & I am praying all goes well for you. I am here cheering you on. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread