It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

10sox HB User
Pain not worse, but getting worn down by it

I have had on/off back pain for the past 4 years. I have had 2 surgeries and now am being told I might have permanent nerve damage which causes pain down my right buttocks and leg.

I am one to fight taking pain meds. I have spent the better part of this year in pain. I have realized I need a quality of life and have been taking my pain pills as directed by my PM doctor.

However, I am finding that I am not dealing with the pain as well as I had before. Even though right now my pain is not as severe as it has been, it is still this deep ache that NEVER goes away. I am just so sick of being in pain. This is why I have started taking my pain meds regularly. I just am soooooo tired of being in pain.

I used to be able to go all day without taking a pain pill and know that lying down at bedtime would help with the pain. Today I was cooking dinner and just couldn't take the ache and took my 2nd pain pill of the day (as prescribed). The pain wasn't unbearable, it was just that I had been worn down from the ache all day. And then I know tomorrow I will wake up and the ache will start all over again. It is a constant fight....ache vs. the pain pills. I feel like I am losing the war.

Is this a normal part of dealing with pain? Do people just get worn down from the pain every day? I am meeting with my PM doctor and will bring this up. I also want to talk to a psychologist.

Thanks!

Last edited by 10sox; 09-08-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: Pain not worse, but getting worn down by it

10sox - I have recently been feeling really upset about the constancy of the pain, too. I also did not think my pain was worse, but I just couldn't take it anymore all day every day. I started on a long acting pain med and it is really helping because I now have times during the day when I have very little pain and I can concentrate on life. I would encourage you to be more involved in managing your pain well. I resisted pain meds, too. I realized, however, that I am not the type to get addicted to anything, and I had been taking short-acting pain meds (Vicodin) for 8 months and I never craved it or took more than I was supposed to. It sounds like you are doing the same (taking it responsibly). Is addiction what you are afraid of with the pain meds?

I have a psychologist that specializes in pain management. I think it has been helpful for me. I would encourage you to explore it, especially if your insurance covers it. Search around to find someone who is highly recommended. There are a lot of just average therapists out there. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about getting a recommendation.

I can really understand where you are coming from. I haven't had pain for nearly as long as you have, and I understand the nagging and wearing down of your psyche by the pain every day. I hope you can find some relief...

Closed Thread