It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Question When you sleep, does you pain enter your dreams??

I'm just curious if anyone else has pain in their dreams, or is it just me. Lately, with my pain increasing, when I sleep, my pain comes into my dreams. For example, last night I dreamed that I was walking and could not make it from my house to the Beach, which is only four tenths of a mile. In the dream I had that leaded feeling in my leg, as if I could not raise it, and a shooting pain in my leg, back and buttocks. As I woke up, I woke up to pain in the back, the leg and the buttocks, and the pain was shooting. I had to reach for the BT meds in order to be able to get up and get going.

Two nights ago, I had another pain invasive dream which I'm sure was no thanks to Hurricane IKE. I suffer (for years now) from migraines that are triggered by atmospheric conditions, specifically either extreme high or low barametric pressure. Not good to live on the Gulf Coast!!! In that dream, I had an intense headache, and went blind!

These "pain dreams" have occured off and on throughout my life. As I said, I'm just curious if anyone else has these type of dreams, or am I just "crazy"! LOL. I would love to hear your stories, if there are any others out there.

I also have the proverbial "go to school with out clothes", "take a trip and leave the suitcase and money at home", and the classic "elevator" dreams (where the elevator falls from the bazillonth story, and you wake up just before it hits the bottom LOL! )

Hope everyone is having some semblence of a pain free day. Hurricane IKE is not helping with my head, and with the tides up about 10 feet here, and we're under a Tropical Storm Warning, so we're pretty much locked in for the weekend.

Blessings to all,

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 09-12-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: When you sleep, does you pain enter your dreams??

Hi Becky,

I have dreams that center around my pain all the time. Most of them are nightmares!! The nightmare ones usually consist of me not being in pm. Thank God it's just nightmares!!

I constantly have dreams that involve my meds, as well. Most of the time, my meds are being stolen. It's very strange how the brain works. Even though we are asleep, our pain really never leaves, does it?

Shay

Last edited by friendly_one; 10-05-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Yes, How Ironic that just happened to me not to long ago. I cant even remember what the dream was about but I remember thinking "I am asleep & dreaming or is this pain real?" I indeed woke up & waited a few seconds to find out the the pain & muscle spasms were indeed real & just became part of my dream. Kind of shocked me & I took something for my muscles right away. I kept thinking I cant even dream now without the pain involved!

Then I fell asleep during the day & even though my brain said to open my eyes & get up I could not move an inch. Kept telling myself to open my eyes, that it to strange.
I am not sleeping much lately, wake up when I roll onto my shoulders. I try to stay awake hoping to get exhausted enough to get some good sleep. I was fortunate & could manage some sleep so now I appreciate those who have their sleep constantly interupted. I am so sorry you have had an increase in pain & will keep you in my prayers.
God bless, Sammy

Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I thought I was the only one this happened to. It usually happens when I've managed to get turned over on my rigth side and am on the bad shoulder and ribs. I usually can't remember much of my dreams, but when this happens I usually do. Here lately it's nightmares where I'm getting stabbed by something or somebody. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one.

Tigg.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

My dreams are much like Shay's.

It seems that my "meds" dreams happen more often than the "pain" dreams. I often dream that I've forgotten to take my morning dose of pain meds and can't locate them for the next dose. Or I go away and forget to bring them. Or they get denied at the pharmacy. Wait, that was real. Oh well, it's usually a dream.

The pain dreams are either because my knee pillow has slipped away and one of my knees are now hyper-extended and very painful - or I'm sleeping on my side and I'm having a hip pain dream, which is very common. Lately, with the pain in my elbow, I'm having dreams with pain there too.

But the stories that make up the dreams can be really creative. It's ranged from being on an alien world to being tortured, but nearly always dramatic. A few of my dreams were so bizarre that I wish I could recall them. I do remember waking up and thinking "how could my brain even come up with this stuff?"

steve

Last edited by forginon; 09-13-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Confused089 HB User

I used to have very vivid dreams but it has been a long time now ....the oxycontin, which as far as I can tell, has had almost no effect on my pain, *has* kicked up some interesting dreams - one about pain so far....can't recall it. Like Steve, I used to have some mind-blowing dreams [and nightmares]...a whole other world. Thinking about it now, I miss them...[not the nightmares so much though!]

Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Absolutely, I have pain related dreams - one I often get when my leg is hurting is that my leg is caught in the drain of our pool and being pulled off - really weird - but like you Shay, I get medication dreams - I do not know why I have never brought it up before - the things that go along with cp is never ending Huggs Aver

Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Well in my dreams I am a "normal person". I have no pain...... and since I cant walk very far, in my dreams I am always walking...... and walking, and shopping and spending hours shopping. No wonder I like to sleep, it is the only place where by back hasnt invaded yet !

round1

Closed Thread