It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
First Post-Op appointment today! Also a small report of how I am holding Up.

Hello all,

First I want to say i notice there are some of us that have not posted for a while. I want you all to know I am thinking of you and sending you all soft gentle hugs and sending out those good vibes as well. You are missed!

Today I will have my first post op appt. I have no idea what to expect at this visit. I think at the least they will take the steri strips off the incision. I am not sure if they will x-ray today or not, but I will let you know.

I have been very active the last week and I feel I need to not be out and about so much. It just happened that the party for the 12 step stuff was something I really wnated to do and I also am a girly girl and wanted a new top, but all the shopping, even though they were short trips out were still to much and I feel it would be better to ficus on staying home now and just walking a few times a day and resting.

My pain level last night was up really really high the first time since I came home from the hospy!! I went to my first day back to school and it was tough. I had to get up and leave the class room about 3 times so I could move around as the sitting is hard on me. I also stood outside the room and listened for a bit.
I did have my Mom on high Alert..lol...with her cell phone so that in case I needed to get out of there she could be there in 10 minutes to pickk me up. She actually has to carry my books to calss as they are over the weight limit from the docs orders.

My daily pain is different. I have a lot of the "hot poker pain" if you all remember me complaining about that a while back. Still I only have sloght burning in between the shoulder blades.

As for the neck burning I sometimes feel it in the shower while the brace is off, but when the brace is on the other 23 or so hours of the day i am not having a lot of pain there. SO it will be interesting to see what happenes when the brace getts to come off.
One thing at a time.

I will post later and let you all know what the doc says today.
Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: First Post-Op appointment today! Also a small report of how I am holding Up.

Hey Chrissy,

I'm so glad that things seem to be heading in a positive direction. It sounds like the surgery was a true success. I know it's too soon to really know and it takes time to see the full results of the surgery, but you sound so much more upbeat, and we all know how powerful positive thinking can be.

I didn't post to your other thread, so I just wanted to say Congrats! on your 4th birthday! I am so proud of you and I know you are proud too. You deserve to feel good about things. It's been a long road, and you've had an awful lot of curveballs thrown in your direction. Yet you stayed true to yourself and have excelled. That is an amazing thing!

I'll be checking in and keeping up on your progress. Thank you for all you've done for me. I know you understand so much of what is going on in my life right now, and I appreciate your advice and support more than you could know. I have to echo the sentiments of others (in other threads) that you are going to be a wonderful nurse, because of what you have gone through yourself. Best of luck with the healing process. I'm here if you need anything. God Bless, sweetie. Many hugs, CMP/MM

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: First Post-Op appointment today! Also a small report of how I am holding Up.

Hey, girly girl!
You better behave , you have long life ahead of you to shop... although I understand where you are coming from. LOL

Feel better and best wishes on your recovery!
(((( )))))

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey everyone,

Yesterday's appointment went well. I only saw the surgeon for a moment because a patient in the office was having a breathing problem.
He did say that my x-rays looked great, and I did agree as I got to look at how straight everything looked.
All the office staff siad they were shocked to see how well I looked! I think they got so used to seeing me with my head tilted to the right that seeing me in the collar with an upright head and a smile instead of a frown of awfull pain was nice fro them and uplifting to see a patiente looking well.

The PA came in and we talked about how I am walking and and sleeping and how my overall pain is. I explained about how the burning inbetween the shoulder blades is much less pronounced, and that I was unsure if that pain being a lesser amount was from the surgery or from the fact I have been sleeping on my beck with my neck in my brace. they seem to think it is a result of surgery So the big test they say will be when the collar comes off and I go to PT.

I am taking a bit more meds than before surgery, but I will be transferred to back to my PM on the 14th of OCtober. I want to see what happens with the PT before I amke any large decreases in the meds.

I am still having spasms, but they are not like the ones I would get before surgery. It is as if I get spasms in my shoulder blades and my shoulders will shrug and ache.

Sometimes I get the bad "hot Poke" pain that I used to get, but I can not tell if that is from the neck or just from sitting in a upright position, such as in school, or if it could be coming from one of the other less damaged levesl that will need adressing later. The pain is not as bad as it was before surgery.
Like I said I am still on a lot of meds to manage and I also have my collar as a crutch.......so for now we are going with the flow and doing it one day at a time.

I do notice some muscle soreness from all the walkig. I asked the doc if I could skip one day of walking and he said ummmmm...I don't want you not moving around. So I took that as a no!

Anyway.
Sorry I am not that cought up on everything going on around here, but my Mom is gone for a few days so I have nothing to do except walk, rest, check in here, and HOMEWORK!!!! LOL

Chrissy

Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Aver00 HB User

Hi Sweetie - it sounds like things are going well for you - I hope you continue to heal well - Hubby and I are going to Dallas to see one of our grandbabies - I am so excited, I just hope that I am going to physically make it without having to drug myself up much Huggs Aver

Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there Chrissey, Thanks for the update

Just a thought on your books. Could you but them into one of those small suitcases (weekend case) that are on wheels and the handle that pulls out and just pull it along?

Just a thought. Maybe not so good if you have alot of steps to get over, but just an idea

Round1

Closed Thread