It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
(female)

Strawbaby HB User
Newbie with a question

Hi, CPers. My husband is a chronic pain patient and I've been lurking here for a long time. I started at the Back Problem board then when things went continuously down hill, moved over to the Pain Management board and finally pretty well gave up hope of any recovery and made the move to the Chronic Pain board. It's not been a happy transition. His story is the same as many of you.......several back surgeries leading up to L4,L5,S1 fusion resulting in dropped foot, permanent nerve damage, etc. He recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted but is not getting the results we'd hoped for. Like most of ya'll, he's on lots of medication and moves slowly through the day as best he can.

My question........Have any of you encountered additional problems with your teeth? This may seem far reaching for a chronic pain board, but my husband had always gone to the dentist for cleaning and annual check-ups. He missed a couple of check-ups due to all his other problems and finally went because he was having tooth aches. Actually it was about 2 1/2 years since the last appointment. The dentist found 10 cavaties. This seems a bit extreme. He's often bothered with dry mouth which we expect is due to his medication. He sucks hard candy but always sugar free. His medication seems to have so many/varied side effects, I just wonder if this could be another one. It's difficult for him to sit in the dentist chair for very long so they have him set up with about five appointments to get the fillings done. He also has to take antibiotics before the appointments due to his stimulator implant.....more medication added to the handful he already takes daily!

I've learned a lot from reading these boards but have never seen mention of cavaties. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, though it seems strange for a 59 year old man to suddenly develope 10 cavaties.

I enjoy keeping up with all of you and value your opinions/advice on the many subjects discussed. I hope I'll be able to add to the community.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Newbie with a question

Hi there Linda,

I really can not think of any connection, but I know there is a few investigative minds here and they may pop in and give some advice or share their experiences.
I wanted to just let you know that I amthinking of you and you hubby and holding you close to my heart on your journey. Chronic pain is not fun!!!

I recently a few months bac went to the dentist because My tooth become very loose and they said there was severe bone loss around the tooth. I wondered how that could happen and they siad most likeiy from some trauma I had there years prior, but I often wonder about what all the different meds are doing to my body....including my teeth and my hair among other things.

Sending you all a big ***(((~~HUG~~~)))***
Chrissy

Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I have also had a dry mouth from the patch I wear. I am currently having work done on my teeth and when the dentist noticed he gave me a cream to put on my teeth twice a day at times when my mouth gets dry. It is called GC Tooth Mouse and is branded Recaldent. It has bio-available calcium and phosphate and is made in Japan . As far as I know it is only available at the dentist. Apparently it aids in strengthening the teeth and stopping decay at the time of the dry mouth.
I hope this is of help to you. I have been using it daily and it tastes nice. Allan

Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Another drug that can reak havoc on your teeth is the anti-depressant/sleeping pill Trazadone. Many folks who are on meds for pain often take this drug to help them sleep at night. The pill dries out the saliva in your mouth thus preventing your natural production of saliva from coating your teeth and sweeping bacteria and plaque away. Just a thought! Good luck - Memere (KathyMac)

Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Strawbaby HB User

Thanks Chrssy, Allan and Steve for your replies. I searched the GC Tooth Mousse and it sounds like something we should ask the dentist about. The dentist gave him a toothpast that's only available with a prescription called Colgate PreviDent 5000 Plus. Perhaps it will help with cavity prevention but doesn't address the dry mouth problem.

My husband isn't on the actiq. His current pain meds include morphine, hydromorphone, Nueronton(don't know how to spell that), lidoderm patch, cymbalta, topamax and baclofen. I've read some of the discussions here about the actiq and fentanyl patch. I've wondered if he'd benefit by switching to one of those but they seem more powerful and scarier than what he's already on. He's not seeing a pain management doctor but a wonderful internist who handles all his medication along with anything else that comes along.

Thanks again for your input. I'll continue trying to educate myself in order to help my husband find his miracle.

Linda

Last edited by moderator2; 09-20-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Speaking of dental problems, I just had some cavities filled. All of them were due to Actiq. Needless to say, I do not take Actiq anymore. I now take a different b/t med.
I've never had any cavities before. I always brush my teeth several times a day, but that Actiq is just full of sugar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Actiq at all! It's a great pain reliever, but you just have to be very, very, diligent about your oral health care. If that means going to the dentist more than twice a year, then do it.

Also, you may want to go to a periodontist for a very deep cleaning. It's not pleasant, but it gets all that gunk out that a regular cleaning cannot.
All pain meds make your mouth very dry. So, it's very imperative to have those check-up's and brush, brush, brush!!

Shay

Last edited by friendly_one; 10-05-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I suppose this is another reason to drink plenty of water. Allan

Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I have dry mouth from my meds, too. I have been wondering what this will do to my teeth. I recently went to the dentist and have to have 2 cavities filled. I asked my dentist if I could chew sugar free gum, because it helps with the dry mouth and he said sure. Then I read that certain SF gums (I know trident is one) are actually good to chew after you've eaten, and they reduce the risk of cavities. I can't remember the specific scientific reason. You may want to try that. I find it easier to talk with a small piece of gum in my mouth rather than a piece of candy. I will be interested to see if anyone else has had experience with increased cavities due to pain meds and/or the dry mouth that comes with them.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Dry mouth caused by certain medications does cause problems with your teeth. My dentist gave me a product (name escapes me) but it does help. Some folks have suggested on the PM board in the past that Methadone causes the break down of enamel or at least speeds up the process. There's actually several older posts on the main PM board regarding this very subject so I'm pretty sure there's a direct correlation

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
(female)

Strawbaby HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's good to know we're not alone in all the weird things that crop up on this painful journey. Of course, I'd rather none of us were here..........

Wishing you all a good day.

Linda

Closed Thread