It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

darbymai59 HB User
Lasting Cronic Pain

Well I went for another visit to my PM doctor this morning. Now we are going to try a PT that is trained in the McKenzie Method. All I can say is I hope it works. I am tired of having this pain in my back. Two weeks ago I had a transforaminal injection at L4 and it did help the sciatica but did not take it away completely and did not help the back pain.

Has anyone on this board tried the McKenzie Method of PT?

L3 thru S1 - 1 ESI - 2 Transforaminal Injections
Lumbar Medial Nerve Block, Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation
DDD - Broad based central disk protrusion
Central spinal stenosis
Facet degenerative disease
Nueral foraminal narrowing
Osteophytes

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Lasting Cronic Pain

Welcome Darby,

I am a fellow spinney too and I have not tried the McKenzie Method but I wanted at least to say hello and welcome you to the board.

Have you had any spinal surgery and may I ask how long you have been dealing with spinal issues?

I have been dealing with them since 1982 and have problems with the same identical levels as you.

Pepper

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

darbymai59 HB User

Hi Pepper, I'm only new to this board, but thank you for the welcome. I've posted on the back pain board and pain management board over the last few months. I was moved to this board which is okay with me. I've read a lot of your postings over the last 6 months.

I've not had any back surgeries and didn't realize I had a problem with my back until April 2008. I went to my PC doctor and told him I was not able to walk even around my block for several years because I would get pain in my leg and start kinda dragging it along til I could make it home. I never thought for a moment that my back would be the problem. He sent me for an MRI and immediately referred me to pain management.

What I have had so far is listed below my last post. I guess I'm just beginning to have more problems and after reading all these post it really scares me. It is nice to talk to other people that understands. My husband just says "take a pain pill". I only take a percocet when I really really need one. I don't like the way they make me feel. I just put up with the pain until I can't stand it no longer.

Darby

Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hii Darby, I would bet more people have tried the Mckenzie method and simply don't realize it. Every back excercise hand out that I have ever been given by a PT, surgeon or doc is taken directly from the cmethod. It's all about strengthening your core reestablishing balance, endurance and flexability. It's nothing unusual or something only a few have learned. Some Pt's may specialize in Burns or wound care or specific body part rehabilitation whether it's working with hip replacement or knees or spinal surgery patients to simple lumbar strains. The Mckenzie is old, tried and true group of excercises and aproach to back pain and I still use about 3/4 of those excercises on a daily basis 15 years after learning them for the first time.

Because you have had surgery, it doesn't mean if the Mckenzie method doesn't resolve all your problems you haven't been armed with some beneficial tools, but there are other modalities and techniques. You had surgery so you have some scar tissue. Scar managamnet is a therapy in itself, Myofacial release is an an extension of scar therapy, once you release the scar tissue, you have to work on the myofacial layer and once you release those adhesion and have nice muscle over muscle flow, then you can start on a stretching of strengthening program, which more than likely will incorporate many aspects of the Mkenzie method.

Those pelvic tilts, bridging, superman stretches. leg kicks, leg lifts are all Mckenzie 101 designed to strengthen yourt core and add stabilty to your spine. I don't mean to pop a feel good bubble that this is something new or miraculaous, but it's just the name of the most commonly used back modalities in PT for all Back patients, You proabaly already know half the excercises and stretches if you have been threw other PT programs.They just never said now were going to try something from the Mckenzie method.

I do think it's imperative to learn this stuff if you have a bad back, but I didn't want you to think this was something contreversial or new that only few PT were aware of. It's been around for decades, some PM programs use it in conjunction with pain meds and some go boot camp style and use only strengthenng and stretching in work hardening programs to msanage pain, but it's all Mckenzie wich now a days is pretty much the same stuff Pilates instructors are teaching about core developement, strengthening and balance.

Take care, Dave

Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

darbymai59 HB User

Shoreline, thanks for the info. Now that I have started PT I realize what you have stated is correct. My PT is for core strengthening and is no different from any other. The reason it is called the McKenzie method is the therapist went to school for the McKenzie spine exercises.

Again, thanks for the info.

Darby

Closed Thread