It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Pm Doc Says They Cant Mail Scripts Any More...

Hi everyone,
I just called my doc for my refills this month and he said that the DEA has made them have everyone come in, in persoon and show photo ID for aLL narcotic scripts. The only exception is for disabilty patients who can have someone come in for them.
Thats got me driving 6 hours RT to get my scripts every month, and the winters here are absolutely trecherous. He's not in his own office its a huge medical facility.
Does anyone else have to do this? I talked to my pharmacist today and she said she hasnt heard anything like that...she says they still get scripts mailed from docs. She said maybe its just their rule, but not DEA. Why would my doc tell me it is DEA rule? He knows I research stuff. He said hes happy to write for me, buyt thats the way its being done now no exceptions and since I didnt know about it, he would send me my scripts this time.
He said legally they cannot mail scripts anymore. those were his exact words.
Id appreciate any feedback...I dont think its because he doesnt want to write for me, we have a super relationship. I think he would tell me if he didnt want to. I just find this odd.
Thanks in advance for any replies!
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Re: Pm Doc Says They Cant Mail Scripts Any More...

it is a new law that just went into affect. there were also other changes from having to submit that green script right away or the date becomes invalid
If you have a cane or a chair it is fairly easy to get disability status even with driver lisences place Unfortnetly it makes things much harder for the rest of us

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thank you!!!!
I knew it had to be something that went into effect quickly. I adore this man, and finding someone else here is out of the question. Even though I complain, I will drive, even if 30 mph over the mountain passes at 10,000 ft PLUS, just to get my scripts and care from this doc.

deleted

Thank you to everyone who posted. I thought it was only where he worked. Im in the Rocky Mountains and the winters are brutal. I didnt think he would make me drive over there and risk my life unless it was true. I just cannot believe how badly its gotten. I told him today that Im always mortified that our meds are going to be taken away or some other dumb crap like the above.

And all because of ppl who care nothing about we CP patients, or the fact that these meds that they abuse or sell enable us to get out of bed every day and try to function.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 10-13-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: inappropriate question

Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hello Izz....Sorry to hear about this big inconvenience for you. What next?? You could write a book based on what you've been through over the last year, my friend!

I wasn't aware of it being a new law either, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. My Doc's office has had this policy for several years now....I guess it makes life easier on them....A patient could say they never received them, or if they were legitimately lost by the post office, it would cause a problem of having multiple scripts "out there" for the same situation. When I was having my patch issues (market availability) in the Spring, I asked once if I could get two scripts for different strengths since I live an hour away....The one strength wasn't available due to shortages and most were moving to 2x of the half strength....I had asked if I could immediately return the one I didn't use based on which strength the pharmacy had. Anyway, he told me that although he trusted me, he said that the enforcement folks don't permit two scripts out there for the same situation...Even if I agreed to return the one I didn't use. I understood as it made perfect sense, even though it was a huge inconvenience to me, given the travel and all. Seems to me that having scripts lost in the mail or whatever is the same type of thing. All it takes, unfortunately, is one bad patient to mess things up for everyone!

I'm so sorry that this will change for you. I'm wondering if you could find another Doc closer that could write given the recommendation of your full time Doc....Several posters have written about something similar they have where two Docs work together. Another option would be for your Doc to write 90 days at a time, which is federally allowed now. Thus, you'd only have to go there every three months, which would help a lot. My Doc writes most patients for 60 days, and the ones he really trusts for 90. All new patients are 30, however.

Take care, and again, I'm sorry.......

I'll be thinking about you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Ex~
I asked him about anything longer than a month. If you recall, the time I took hubby he gave me post dated scripts for 3 months. When I asked about even writing for me for 6 weeks, he said its against the law, they cant do it.
I just have a problem with a doc telling me something I can clearly look up online or ask a pharmacist about and thinking I wont research it. Ive never ever even been under contract with him for over two years!
Do you think I should come right out and ask him, or tell him that when I picked up my script the pharmacist told me that they have tons of pts that docs write for more than a month?
What are your thoughts? Thx for the reply!
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY'SMOM View Post

Do you think I should come right out and ask him, or tell him that when I picked up my script the pharmacist told me that they have tons of pts that docs write for more than a month?
What are your thoughts? Thx for the reply!
This is a tough one....But, I think I would, given how far you have to drive and etc. I think if I was closer and it was more of a "inconvenience", then I wouldn't. But, given your distance, it's not an "inconvenience", but rather a "burden."

I think the way I would bring it up though would be something along the lines of a situation where I printed out the new legislation and teed it up by saying something like "not sure if you're aware of the recent change, but now the DEA permits Docs to write up to 90 days for established patients." Maybe even say that the word hasn't gotten around very well, which would give him a "out."

Just as an fyi, the change went into effect late in Dec of 07. However, most people didn't find out about it until much later. In fact, when my Doc told me about it, he kinda joked about how a patient actually informed him, and thus, they got to checking on it and sure enough, it was the case. I would bring it up very casually and see what happens.

He may respond that it's against the practice's rules, which if so, there may be nothing he can do. Every PM practice has it's own procedures and etc. But, given your long term history with him and your individual situation, it seems to me that something could maybe be worked out....I hope anyway!

Worst case situation is that maybe he could personally refer you to someone close to home who he knows and trusts and won't make radical changes right off the bat. If he were to personally talk to this new Doc, things would be established right up front for you. And given that you and he are actually long time friends, I wouldn't see why he wouldn't do all he could to get you transitioned properly.

This is just another example of how things are getting more difficult all the time for us legitimate PM patients.....As if the pain we endure isn't enough!

Take care, and best of luck with this.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Izzy, I've always had to go to my pm doc's office to pick up my fentanyl scripts, and I have to take my photo I.D. and sign them out. They don't even give the option of mailing them, none of the docs down here do, and pre-dating scripts is unheard of, you have to pick up scripts every month, no matter what meds they are.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi Izzy,
Here you must pick up your scripts to. At my surgeons had to show ID. My PM, bless him will write a couple months(post dated) of scripts.
My pharmacist made a comment to me that she was worried about the number of percocets per month, but noticed when I went in with the new script that I was over two weeks past the date on the script, so she knew I was not taking that amount in a one month period. I had to explain to her that I was allowed a certain amount per day & tried to always stay under the allowed number. Although he will allow post dated scripts I am to bring them with me each appointment in case of any changes & keep them under lock & key at home, but I sure do appreciate his trust & not having to go in every month to pick them up.
THere are those days I dread having to drive at all, so I feel for you. good luck, Sammy

Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i still can have my scripts sent,but they have always gone right to the pharmacy directly not to me(been doing this for about a year and a half). i did have one of the nurses say at my last visit that when i make my follow up for two months,that i need to try and get it on the day my Rxs are actually due. but i still get them sent in between for the next month before i have to see her again. they have not said that i have to come back in to pick up the month in between yet. but who knows what that next visit will bring tho? i will let ya know. what a flippin pain in the butt,geez can't the DEA work on really important things? they seem to enjoy tormenting the worst of the worst,us CP patients. like getting around is actually easy for some of us? my hubby had always picked up my Rxes before i went with the mail to the pharmacy thing and i cannot see that changing if this changes,since i cannot even sit in that seated posistion for more than ten to fifteen minutes tops without my legs going spastic. my PM is about a half an hour away,way out of my driving range. has anyone actually checked the DEA site to see if this is indeed one of their little rules? just wondering. Marcia

Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I had to call today and ask about making an appt for him at the end of the month, and I casually asked the front desk person who does his appts. she assured me its nothing to do with ME, at all. she said they are having to do it because of all of the theft, diversion, ect.
She said you could always find someone closer to home, but I know you adore the doc, and I dont blame you. She said "frankly, I think hes worth the drive." I told her I agree, except when it gets to be -45 and icy and windy I could possibly reconsider.
I have the ortho here who said hed work with my doc on writing scripts, ect. but when he didnt call me back for four days and finally had the front desk lady **REMOVED*** call me back and tell me REMOVED to do something that could cause me harm. I explained this could cause me serious harm and maybe he should call the pharmacy and see what they say...then i told her to forgeet it, that he hadnt called me back for four days, and id rather have a doc write for me that wasnt trying to harm me. What a tool.
THAT my friends is what Im up against here.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Mod08; 10-13-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: You have not suggested anything inappropriate. To ensure their is no confusion, this post was revised for safety reasons.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy, maybe Marica is on to something. Would not hurt to ask at least during the winter months if scripts can be mailed to the pharmacy directly.
I live with all the snow & ice to so I know how you feel. I hope you can get something worked out. You dont need the stress of it all. Good luck & god bless, Sammy

Closed Thread