It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User
Acupuncture and different pain meds....

Update: back injury, laminectomy, scar tissue, permanent nerve damage, pain in back and legs, sensitive to meds, was on Darvocet ........

I started with acupuncture and have been for 2 visits. This guy was a ER doc for 20 years, went to school and has been doing acupuncture for 8 years. I had to wait for a month to get an appt. with him. Interesting that he can talk both Western medicine and Oriental medicine in the same breath. Made him seem very knowledgeable to me. He is a clincal instructor at UVA med school. This is what he did......checks the tongue and pulses, first puts needles in to "relax" and they don't hurt at all. Then I roll over and he starts on my back and it definitely hurts when he gets to the injured area. He adds heat to some of the needles, that feels good. My first visit I was with him for 2 1/2 hours!! I never had a doctor take 1 hour to do a history. We talked about the injury, other medical issues and even how I was feeling about the fact that I can no longer do bedside nursing! Anyway, when I leave I feel (and look) drained. I go home and crash. Since he is also an MD he can prescribe meds. He felt that my pain was poorly mismanaged. He Rx'd Vicodin every 4 hours as needed and wants to see how that works for me. wow! What a difference! He doesn't want to prescribe forever but he will contact my primary doc when the time is right.

Also, he put me on a vitamin, Magnesium, a herbal anti inflammatory, fish oil pills and another herbal anti stress, L Theanine. He says it will take about 4 weeks to see a difference. And believe it or not he does not sell them!! Another plus for him in my book since I feel that he really does think I should be on these and he's not just trying to sell me pills. Will all of this help? Who knows, I'll keep you all posted. I'm just thankful to have a stronger pain med.
I hope everyone has a decrease in pain levels just in time for the week-end.
Take care.

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 10-12-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread