It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

shananava HB User
2nd epidural last Thursday!

I had my 2nd epidural last week. The dr hit a nerve while he was doing it. He acted like it was a good thing since he was in right area. When I was trying to get up from the table my leg gave way. The nurse said that meant it would work better in the long run. I had to be helped in the car, into the house and hold on all day. The next day it was heavy, numb and was either spasms or nerve twinges. Called dr, he upped dose of zanaflex. Dont see a real difference really. It isnt heavy all the time now , but it does come and go w/ the heaviness, numbness and giving out. I cant find anything really on nerve getting hit during an epidural or the leg giving out making it better so I hope dr and nurse were right and weren't covering their buts. It really hurts across my back as much and sometimes more than before I got the first epidural. Pray I see relief soon. I have alot of added stress from many things right now so fibro flaring isnt helping things either. Tryin to stay positive. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day and I have motivation, less pain and leg will hold up more. I try doing things but the pain level goes up. I have kept in touch with drs but they are saying give it more time.
S

Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: 2nd epidural last Thursday!

Hello Shananava....Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't know much about these type of injections as I have a different type of pain, so I really can't comment on how these type of procedures are supposed to go and etc.

I do know, however, that Dr. Sam is very good as well as the other staff. Please keep in close contact with them so they know exactly what's going on. Feedback is very, very important. I think with Doctors in general, if patients don't say anything, Docs feel that all is ok.....Not to mention there is an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality, especially if a practice is very large with lots of patients.

How did the 1st epidural go? Did it help?

Hang in there best you can, and I sincerely hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-14-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

shananava HB User

The first one seemed to help some of the pain across my back but not alot of the numbness. Im hoping all this will get better. I've had a stress headache all day due to some other things going on. I just want to feel better.
Thanks for your reply!
Shannon

Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm very happy to offer my support. Please try to relax as much as possible. The overall "stress" isn't helping, as you say. Stress tends to tense all the body parts up, which you obviously don't need right now. Next time you report back to your Doc, you may want to tell him about your stress level(s) and see if he wants to address it.

Take care, and I hope you start to feel better!

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi Shana, kind late replying to your post. I did have 3 sets of ESIs done.
Cervical & thoracic. One set I noticed a slight difference, one set nothing & the other I did have an increase if some pain for several days.
I do remember one of the surgical nurses telling me it could take time, meaning days to notice a difference. I have heard from others it could even take longer. Everyone seems to be different, for that matter every set of ESIs seem to be different. I know when I had the esculated pain after the one set it worried me. Not knowing is the worse part & I feel for you.
Hopefully you doctor is right & he discovered a location that will help him to help you. I just had a friend who went through several sets before they found the area to lessen her pain, she said it was so great after years of pain to have some relief. She now is going for her second rhizotomy, different locations & I pray she gets some qaulity back. I have heard of others to having success, so lets hope the same is true for you. God bless & good luck, Sammy

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
(female)

shananava HB User
Unhappy Re: 2nd epidural last Thursday!

Thanks for your reply. Seems I only get responses from a few people and sometimes I lose hope. Not many here at home understand. I had a new problem yesterday and wonder if this is coming from the epidural too. I havent had the nerve shooting pain down right leg until yesterday. Nothing really more that Ive done before. I get out some on weekend with my boyfriend. Just walking in stores to look. No money but looking is neat and seeing things I had and saw as a kid that would bring in so much money now.
When I stepped down on my right foot had a pain that shot down to the bottom of my foot and brought tears to my eyes. It happened twice, scared me really bad. Gonna see how today goes when I have to run to post office. Hope they are nice and will tote in box for me. I am young and people look at me like Im nuts when I ask for help but I dont care anymore. I hurt and they dont. Im going to call the dr if this keeps up as its already seriously affecting my leg pain on both sides. We will see how it goes. I really want an MRI and hope he will consider it soon. My appt isnt til the 3rd and may have to go in sooner. Im tired of being a pin cushion. Now its both sides and I cant have but one more ESI. Dont know what next line of help will be. I thought when I had my surgery this was over. I know the cooler weather isnt helping. Thanks for the reply again and listening to me ramble. Want someone to understand. Trying not to give up emotionally but praying for a breakthough.
shannon

Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Shannon, you have not had an MRI? Oh my, you really should try to obtain one sweetie.
CP does not discriminate age, so never you mind what others think.
I would think you should give your doctor a call if this continues past today. Perhaps all of this would be more of a reason for the MRI.
Dont give up, we all go through only getting a few replies, not everyone knows or has had ESIs even one of my doctors nurses & ER asked me what ESIs were.
Have faith & hope. Like I said my friend went through several before they found the location, with me no such luck, & yes I was pretty disppointed after each one.
I just would have thought you would have had an MRI that kind of blows me away, but then again I had to fight like mad to get mine & then it was inconclusive. I just read about a lady who had MRIs & all that, nothing showed but then they had done another test & bingo all kinds of herniated discs showed. We all believe that MRIs show it all, but I just dont believe that & neither did my PT. Mean while here we are all suffering.
Crazy! I have had such a escualtion of pain these last few days that I honestly thought I would have a panic attack in the car last evening, woke up so disappointed, but I just cant give up hope or loose faith, then what is left. I have talked to my priest & he said just that, its hard with CP, but just hold on, prayers are heard.
Please let us know how it goes, I truely hope you get that MRI. God bless, Sammy

Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Sorry to hear that things have not gotten better shananava. Would you characterize things as getting worse? I know this all started when you discussed with them about your patch not working as well as it once did. I would get back in there and try to impress upon them that things are not improving. Dr. Sam is a compassionate Doctor and if you really tell him straight, I can't see him not helping.

I think sometimes we all aren't as upfront as we should be sometimes. For example, at one of my recent appointments, I was asked if maybe I should try cutting back to see if reducing my meds would make me feel better. While I really wanted to come across as agreeable and a "team player", I have enough experience with my own situation to know that it wouldn't work, so I said "no" fairly strong. The Doc didn't question me a bit and said "well if you need it, you need it." I think sometimes Docs "test" us to see who really needs the meds and who doesn't.

Additionally, many of these good pain clinics have gotten very large (in terms of # of patients) and to a certain degree, those who are out of sight are out of mind...Meaning, if you don't follow up with them, or stay on them, they assume all is ok and given their large patient load, they've moved on to the next 100 patients. I'm not saying by any means that you aren't providing feedback, but rather, please stay on them re: your pain levels and if things aren't working, tell them and get back in there. Also, if patients simply wait for their next appointment, Docs figure that things can't be all that bad. I would at least call and document things so when you go to your next visit, it's a matter of "record" and something you can start discussing right up front. Also, by calling, you are essentially telling them that you can't wait for your next appointment. Given how bad your pain is, i would call and ask them if there is anything they can do, or could you come in sooner. This may be nothing more than a tolerance issue, from what I remember from your earlier posts.

Take care, and I really hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread