It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Sammy.....your symptoms

Hi Sammy I came across an old post of yours on the spinal board. You mentioned you were having pains in your lower and upper extermties, a toe etc...

Are you still having issues and was it your spine? The reason I ask is I have been having shooting pains all over my body for 4 months, also buzzing in my feet and now muscle twitches. I just found out I have a crack in my disc on my c spine which is pushing on the spinal cord. Hoping this could be my answer...

Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Latest test results etc.

K I dont want to interfer with tigs post buy yes to you question & thank you so much for the info. God bless, Sammy

Last edited by Mod08; 10-17-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Sammy.....your symptoms

hi K2,just wondering if you have the MRI report in your posession? if you don;t you really need to obtain one. if you have it,could you please type out the summary at the end of your report for me? just wondering how really severe your spinal cord affectation actually is,it could explain ALOT about your current symptoms. but knowing exactly how the rad interpretted it word for word would really help me to help you. alot does depend upon certain wordings they use to indicate the problem areas. was there ANY mention of the word 'myelomalacia" in that report? how severe is your cord contact? marcia

Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Feelbad, thanks so much for your feedback. Below is general report-

Impression

" loss of normal cervical lordosis with degenerative disc disease pronounced C4-5 with central protrusion, annual fissure resulting in mild to moderate canal stenosis with contact and distortion of the ventral surface of the cervical cord" "degenerative disc disease noted on c45 consisting of disc dehydration, anterior spondylosis and minimal end plate marrow change"

So, could this be the reason for my full body muscle fascilations, feet buzzing on and off and random body pains?

I dont get in to be evauluated by the neuro surgeon till 11-13

Last edited by k2626; 10-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

High k, Most of my pain is in the upper torso, upper to mid back (as of the last couple months) along with neck, both shoulders/arms, sometimes the hands will join in, & left rib cage going into the left chest. The chest pain can be scary, sharp intense or just aches, Lately more & more headaches which I am pretty sure are from the neck. No pain meds touch this headache. Had one yesturday & could not touch my neck with my fingers. At time I will feel it hurt the back all the way down & go into the left hip & leg. My legs always feel heavy in the morning, like instead of walk I shuffle. My arms dont move in the morning at all, no raising them, & my hands are weak. I get alot of pain in my left thumb. The scapula area is extremely painful in the mornings, used to only be the left now the entire upper back & right hurt to. It feels like some one is taking my arms & twisting them behind my back. I will get the tingling like mad if my arms are in a certain postion. Especailly raised, like in my sleep.
It all started in the left chest/shoulder/rib just under the breast area & has evolved into all the areas I mentioned above. My back & neck are the newest & boy does it hurt. My PM has focused on the C 8 & T 1 area. I am to make an appointment with a back surgeon soon. I had an MRI but have not got the results, so as Marcia suggested I am going to pick up a report with in the next week or so. Had an MRI a year & half ago which showed some minor issues but nothing they could definantly link to this so I am curious to see what this new one says. Its horrable & I feel for you.
Marica is a smart cookie & has held my hand when we both went through shoulder surgery last Jan-Feb. She may be able to help us both with the MRI results. Hope I am not putting you back against the wall here Marcia,lol.
Good luck sweetie, its awful to be left wondering. Sammy

Old 10-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the word 'pronounced" kind of brings up a red flag at that herniated area.it IS impacting your cord to some degree by a distortion of the outside(dura) which does effect in some cases,the inside cord as well. it all kind of depends upon just how much true real compression/pressure is actually affecting your cord and your symptomology. in your case,something does appear to be affecting your cord enough to be casuing lower torso/body wide symptoms. this would be the most 'likely" reason. considering what your report states is actually going on,it would make total sense. while there is always the possibility of having some level of low back issue too,i do think considering what you have there it would more than likely be casued by the level of impact upon your cord at this point. it just kind of ups the need to really have this fully evaluated by a good neurosurgeon.

that evaluation in your case really would tell alot about just how much real impact is going on and what needs to be done about it. NSs can tell alot based upon that eval and what you tell them has been going on,so what you really do need to be doing up til that appt is keeping a little journal of symptoms that have apperred and probably will continue to appear(also any real neuro changes) so he has the FULL story of your complete symptomology with this. he will also do a hands on eval/exam and look for signs like clonus in your lower legs(among other tests) which would indicate some level of myelopathy going on if that cord is being compressed enough. this is all just strictly my opinion of course,but you just do have some things going on up in your c spine that would or could explain your wide ranging symptoms. it will be up to the NS to kind of determine extent of compression with what i just explained to you. i have simply had ongoing c spine problems with two surgeries there and a spinal cord surgery that caused a host of damage and bizzarre off the wall types of symptoms. i can tell just by what i feel now whether it is cord related or just my c spine crap. its really crazy in here at times. the cord crap always feels more "perceptionary" in nature? like someone is actually 'doing' something to my body or it just 'feels' like something is being done to it? very crazy once you hit the cord level believe me. but it is very important for you to just be keeping that notebook or journal of your symptoms. believe me,your NS will really be happy you did this. it just really helps to better define what is and is not affected or involved.

i hope things are not too overly involved for you to have to deal with. i wish you luck on that appt. just knowing what is actually going on is half the battle sometimes. please keep us posted K2. Marcia

Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Marcia--thanks so much for your feedback and opinion. For 4 months I have been tested for things like bone cancer, ALS, Lyme, MS, etc.. It has been horrible. My pains that hit my body feel like a toothache. In your opinion, could a c spine issue cause random pains in areas like the ankle, or toes (usually one toe at a time)? That kinda just "pulsates"? I think this could be the answer to my feet vibrating on and off, the muscle fascilations (which has been the scariest part for me).

I cant go in to see the NS till Novmeber. My primary is pretty hyped up about this while my nuerologist (who by the way is a total dud) seems to have no concerns, he did not even call me about my results, my primary did!

The odd thing is I have no pain in my neck whatsoever, but I do have a dull pain in my spine where my bra strap hits--all that was found there was mild DDD.

Whats more odd is when this all started I had a full body bone scan-this was not reported. I find it doubtful this would have all taken place in my neck over the past 4 months, especially considering I dont do any sports aside from general work outs at my gym (nope-I dont run even, use the eliptical)

So--odd, but I pray to God this is the reason for all my issues-these symptoms have taken over my life for the past 4 months.

Sammy, I am so sorry you are going through so much pain. When did you have your last MRI?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K, just so you know I had no neck pain or back pain at all for over 21/2 years, but pain else where.
The spinal cord is a very complicated thing, kind of controls pain every where else in the body. Frustrating. In my experiance they try to rule other things out then look into the spine. I had a bone scan to & if I remember correctly it did not match every other test to a T, so perhaps is can miss what an MRI picks up. For that matter I am convinced no test exists that show every little thing going on in our bodies. I have seen & heard to many stories to indicate just that. Such as surgeons finding addtional problems during surgery that did not show on any tests. That is just one example. I honestly believe some things just stay hidden until its so severe that the doctors take another look.
Seen that happen to to my sister. Its hard to live in all this pain & just know something is really wrong but no test is conclusive. My MRI on my shoulder showed minor problems but when they did the surgery it was abit more then thought going on in there. So go figure.
Just keep in mind you dont have to have pain in the spine, back or neck for there to be a big problem going on in there.
I cant were a bra at all due to the rib cage being so sore. Little clues have them looking into my spine again. My last MRI was recent & I am getting those results, thanks to Marcia, talking me into it this coming week. I just pray something shows. My whole back is starting to hurt & my foot which has never hurt (right one) would not even let me wear a shoe today. I am hoping its just th foot & nothing else.
Good luck & let us know how it goes. Sammy

Closed Thread