It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

LV2SHOP HB User
at wit's end :(

so, I am almost 31-I have arthritis, plantar faciitis, a positive outcome from lumbar fusion and two small bulges in my c-spine. I feel like a wreck much of the time. I am lucky that I don't need narcotics and only take Ultram. I think part of that is knowing that stronger meds won't really help. But, I am not sure what to do now. I had this great idea: epidural injections in my neck (have had before), move on to chiropractic care with the activator and some massage. Well, when I met with my chiro for the first time, she had talked me out of the ESI and said to try this new thing called Cold Laser Therapy. She made it sound so promising. So, I cancelled my inj which was to be Wed. Then I did more research and found the FDA has approved it but there is no hard evidence to back it up that it really works. And, like so many other things, it is more than likely temporary. No better than the ESI I guess. So, I tried to resched the inj and the slot was filled. due to work and school that was my only time for the next 8 WEEKS! I don't even know that the injection will really help either though. My muscles are tight and knotted all the time pulling ribs out of place and when I get an adjustment the muscles just pull it all out again. I don't know about this laser thing either. I am so frustrated.
Then, I thought, working out again WILL help-But I can't even get started. I used to do video aerobics and stuff but now can't-and watching stuff on TV bores me. I loved using a treadmill or bike (recumbant) at our old place, but since our new place is so small, there is no room. We thought about a small eliptical but I don't even think I have the energy to use that and possibly don't have the room either. I am at such a standstill in my attempt to feel better. working 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and being in class 5 hrs a day 2wice a week doesn't help either-that wears me out in addition to chronic pain and some chronic fatigue.
I don't know, I really don't. If anyone can help point me in a good direction, I would LOVE IT.
Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: at wit's end :(

LV2,

Hi and welcome. Sorry you are having a hard time. I think I would stay away from the chiropractic if you have bulging disks. I've had the cold laser, but the only time it did any good was when I sprained my ankle. It didn't do anything for my neck or shoulder after rotator cuff surgery. I would avoid adjustments on the neck, but I don't think the cold laser will hurt anything, the effect it had for me on my ankle was that it was what finally got the swelling down. If your muscles are all knotted up your best route might be massage from a liscenced massage therapist. If money is an issue see if there is a school for liscenced massage therapists somewhere close, many have public clinics where the advanced students do the massages. I go to a school and have found the students to be very good at what they do. I've got problems in the rib area (still working on a diagnosis) and the massage works better than anything else I've tried including nerve blocks, trigger point inj, and the cold laser. Just make sure to tell the therapist where is really hurting and they can start out with lighter pressure on those areas.

Tigg.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

LV2SHOP HB User

Thank you for your reply.
I don't do actual adjustments, my lady uses an activator. I still don't know. I am going to see a DO for manipulation and maybe with the adjustments and some massage I'll feel better.
Today, my upper back muscles were burning so bad I could say close to a 9 on pain scale. I rarely rate my pain over a 6: in the real world it is higher than that, but with chronic pain, I guess you get used to it. And now I have a headache and did I mention my FEET? Holy cow. I can't tell you what I do, but I am on my feet for 12 hours a day 3 days a week. Tonight I got off 4 hours early and omg thank goodness. I honestly don't think I could have done more, and that is rare. I am loving my heating pad right now, then my bath, then my zanaflex then sleep.....

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
(female)

breathefree HB User

HI LV2SHOP,
Just wonder how you went with the activator treatments by the chiropractor?
I was searching for comments/opinion about the activators, and this is my first post here.

I can empathize your upper back muscle pulling the rib cage, i have no idea how you manage to work and study with this medical condition!! I completely stopped working over 6 months ago, just to rest and get well before i go back to work... I just couldn't live like this, it sucks!

My back problem was actually a result from too many activator treatments!! In the end, my upper back muscle just wouldn't listen to my mind's command to 'relax', it was CONSTANTLY cramping, totally forgot how to relax. It was an aweful and frightening experience! No one deserves to go through hell like that.

PLEASE be cautious with the activators, as they might seem 'gentle', but the effects can be enormous! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, if you don't feel better after 3-4 treatments, stop going back for more, otherwise you would find the unnecessary 'treatments' start to create new problems, and your old problems are actually being amplified by the activator treatments.

Luckily I found a really good acupuncturist (recommended by a friend), and he saved me... besides acupuncture, another technique that provided long-lasting relief for me was Theta Healing. It was just amazing, and i was totally impressed by the result!

I am getting better slowly day by day, and can definitely see the light towards the end of the tunnel now. I really hope that you are feeling better too. We all deserve to live a free happy life.

If you are interested in trying the Theta Healing, i am happy to pass on details of the practitioner. She is based in Utah, and can do sessions by phone. (I did both of my sessions with her by phone, as i am based in Australia, and the results were amazing).

Get well soon )

Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you so much! I ended up quitting the chiropractor and starting seeing a DO where I work and he does gentle manipulation and another one just got certified in acupuncture and I may check that out too. I am trying to keep fit and stretch when I remember to. Hoping all will help along with some massage here and there. I really need to have some reflexology on my feet and hands, I know that will be amazing!

Closed Thread